• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
At Granby Ranch there is a clump of trees with a series of bobsled run type of banked curves running through it. There is an orange terrain park symbol tacked to one of the trees at the entrance. As my son was contemplating entering the maze, a girl on a snowboard rode by and shouted "Don't do it!" He did it anyway.

He is the son who is now in Fiji, having rode out the cyclone there. He was previously helping out in schools and orphanages, but now he's helping with clean up and recovery.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not heard, but seen: At the top of Peak 6 in Breck, well along the bowtwo guys had removed their skis (boards?) and crept up to the edge of the cornice on their bellies to look down at the run beneath.

A few thoughts:
1) If I were scared enough to approach that way, I don't think there's any way I could ski it
2) If I weren't too scared to ski it in the first place, I would be after staring directly down it on my belly!
3) I am much safer on my skis than on my feet.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
At Granby Ranch there is a clump of trees with a series of bobsled run type of banked curves running through it. There is an orange terrain park symbol tacked to one of the trees at the entrance. As my son was contemplating entering the maze, a girl on a snowboard rode by and shouted "Don't do it!" He did it anyway.

He is the son who is now in Fiji, having rode out the cyclone there. He was previously helping out in schools and orphanages, but now he's helping with clean up and recovery.

Oh, this reminds me of something that happened a couple of weeks ago!

I was taking a private lesson with an instructor I've known for years. She had me working on turn shape on a groomed black run, American. So we were standing and talking when we saw two dudes fly by and stop below us, followed by a much more tentative guy who stopped above us.

Dudes below: "Come on, Adam! You're going to ski this!"
Adam: "Um, no, you know, I think I'm going to ski that run over there" *points to cutover to a blue*
Dudes: "You're GOING to ski this!"
Adam: *looks dubious*

Monique: "Adam, you don't need to ski this. Go over there. You can meet your friends at the bottom."
Dudes: "YOU HAVE TO SKI THIS"
Adam, "I think I'm going to go over to the blue run"

Jenn: practically falling over from trying not to laugh

Several iterations later, Jenn and I skied on. I really hope Adam stuck to his guns.

maverick2

The 1st 50 yrs are practice - we score the 2nd 50.
Skier
Last year on a mid-week Idaho ski day I cruised into the lift line with the only person in front of me being an elderly gentleman on a snowboard. I hopped onto the chair with him and we had what might have been my best lift chair discussion all winter (with a stranger), touching on skiing and snow-boarding, the pros and cons of each, how he decided to leave skiing and take up snowboarding in order to conquer a new challenge at his age, etc, etc, etc... He came across as a very sincere, accomplished boarder w/o any ego or smack talk, and I fully expected to see him rip down the mountain and leave me in his dust. We talked all the way up the mountain, did the mutual "have a good run" and unloaded off the chair. I was looking over at the run I was going to take and barely out of the chair when he slammed into my side, piling up around my legs, and almost taking me down with him as he slid and rolled down the little incline. Once I got clear of him I side-stepped over to give him a hand and the conversation went like this:

Me: "You OK? What in the hell happened?"

Him: "I'll be darned -- that's a first..."

Me: "What's that?"

Him: "Well, that was the first time the guy next to me on the lift didn't go down too (they usually land on me) AND the first time they didn't have to shut the lift down for me to get up. I'm getting the hang of this..."

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I was doing good this morning just getting thru brushing my teeth with throwing up.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tramline at Jackson. 20ish kid leaning up against the wall looking very green and wincing. His friends "dude, you don't have to ski today" him "I paid, I'm f-ing skiing". I gave him wide berth in the line and I'm glad he got on the tram before me ... there can't be anything worse than being trapped in a box with someone throwing up.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It was the end of a powder day that delivered 30cm (12in) on the lower mountain and close to double that on the upper mountain of near perfect light dry fluff. I said to a random lady at the ski rack: "I think i set a personal record for face shots in a single day". Random lady response: "Gee, I hope you didn't hurt yourself". Me: no response, just a dumbfounded look and the realization that we ski in different worlds.

That same day at 10:30 am I overheard someone in a lift line say that it was her best day of skiing ever, and the day had barely started.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was in Starbucks one mornign and a haggard guy came in and ordered hot chocolate and asked the server to leave room at the top. She asked 'for milk?", he said (using finger quotes" "Sure, "for milk"".

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok...this one is a little traumatic for me. It's early in the Christmas holidays this year and I'm riding a triple with a Mom and a 13 year old girl at Deer Valley. I was in the second year of an experiment as a part-time instructor beginning to accept it wasn't for me. The child was my student and the mom was a tag along. I'll just say I found the parents I'd been encountering at Deer Valley to be, well, interesting. The only point of the instructing gig was to add to my fun and it wasn't.

So with these thoughts swimming in my mind as we rode the chair, all of the sudden the child in the middle turns to me. I think she's going to say something so I turn to her. But instead she throws up, literally, all over me. The mother calmly turns to the child and says: "Do you feel better honey?"

I skied down to the daily desk where they looked at me incredulously while I resigned. The way I choose to look at is when we have a decision to make we should feel fortunate when we receive a sign.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode up the lift yesterday with a pretty rough looking 65 year-old guy wearing 10 year-old skis and a 20 year-old jacket who had already passed me on several runs earlier in the day (it's a small 1,000 vert area). I remark, "Boy, you're getting your money's worth today!"

He says "yeah, I'm 65, so I'm trying to get in as much as I still can. I get here at 9 and I don't stop until 4. I don't go in, I don't pee, and I don't eat. I ski."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
By @fatbob, while fixing his ski boot during lunch with @Philpug and @Craig Scholten -

"There's a salvageable nut"
IMG_3118.JPG

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Speaking of nut jobs, - I'm walking down the street at Breck holding the boots by the cuffs and suddenly due to nuts
falling off I was holding one boot and the cuff only of the second boot. I picked the lower half of the second off the ground
(Technica's) and noticed both pivot bolts and nuts were missing. Found one loose nut and the nearby ski shop scrounged
up the second replacement nut from their bins. First nut was threaded wrong so a second bolt was needed to match nut threads.

Probably my strangest equipment failure ever ! :eek:

Sponsor

Staff online