• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One time while skiing a mogul field that was dust on crust, I came to a stop and got vertigo and sort of tipped over at slow speed. So I just rolled my skis below me and stood up, with my skis sliding out from underneath me again and over I went again. I did this unsuccessful maneuver two more times and with the treeline coming up quickly, I flipped onto my stomach and hugged a mogul. Off came a ski and I finally came to a stop.
A guy then comes skiing up to me all excited and declares: "That was pure Warren Miller, I wish I had a camera". I responded: " Yeah, I'm not even injured".

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Riding up the chair I comment on this fellows retro skis. He tells me that he has 3 pairs of the exact same skis because they are the only type he likes. He further explains that he tried the "new" skis but didn't like them because they were too "turny." He explains, "I'm a straight down skier." I hang back long enough to make sure that I am going to be on a different trail!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have sent messages to James via phone, e-mail, text, carrier pigeon, smoke signal and late night tele psychic..everything..I think he is out fighting Isis.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I was skiing with a friend in New Hampshire once. It had snowed an inch or two overnight, so everything looked great although it was absolutely bulletproof underneath.

Anyway, we tried skiing a bump run which was just comically impossible with the ice underneath. A dozen bumps in or so my friend stops and calls over to me and says "these are stripper bumps! They look great, but no touching allowed!"

WTFH

Booting up
Skier
Best thing heard on the mountain?
"It's open" (applies to runs, lifts & bars)
"Come on in, the powder's lovely"
"No chicken-sh.t turns" This is normally said by me or the wife, it doesn't mean "no turns", just "no stopping until we get to the lift". Favourite place for that one is the top of Bettaforca in Champoluc before going down Del Colle & Dei Larici - roughly 3 miles.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have sent messages to James via phone, e-mail, text, carrier pigeon, smoke signal and late night tele psychic..everything..I think he is out fighting Isis.
Perhaps we can created a Bat Signal of sorts to communicate with him.:huh:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Knowing what we know about James, which really is absolutely nothing, he could be here already.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last year the following conversation preceded my trying to convince a friend to join me in a glades run through anarchy @ Killington:

C'ome on - how bad can it be ?????

No - with you Charlie - how worse can it get !!!!!

Now WHAT could POSSIBLE go wrong ??? Lets Go !!!

Fortunately he was wearing a helmet ......

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend and I skied over to the top of Corbet's with my (then) 11 year old daughter to see what it looked like. It was a relatively low snow year with a 15 foot drop to get in. we stood there for a few minutes watching a snowboarder screw up the courage to jump in, his buddies urging him and yelling encouragement. The snowboarder finally noticed my daughter and yelled "Holy s@@t, is she gonna do it?"

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend and I skied over to the top of Corbet's with my (then) 11 year old daughter to see what it looked like. It was a relatively low snow year with a 15 foot drop to get in. we stood there for a few minutes watching a snowboarder screw up the courage to jump in, his buddies urging him and yelling encouragement. The snowboarder finally noticed my daughter and yelled "Holy s@@t, is she gonna do it?"

So, did he do it?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Skiing down Nansen at Tremblant, green beginners long run, came across an adult male having problems getting up after a fall. Helped him up. In his clipped british voice he stated that - real snow is slipperier than the carpet! Duh....And probably colder too!

You do know what carpet is in this context?

▶ 3:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBMTU-665Vw

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
I asked my then-9 year old daughter on the lift, which run she wanted to do next.

Her reply: "Wherever the wind blows me."

Good advice, sometimes we just gotta roll with it, on the mountain and in life.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Funny things heard on a ski hill...
Ski Patrol to young boy (maybe 8) he stopped after chasing him down when tucking straight down poles in the air, low as he could go. "Where is your father boy?"
Young Boy.... Pointing up the hill to full size man, bombing down hill in full racing tuck, racing poles behind him, racing suit........"Right there"

At Vail in line for lunch, older couple in front of me, "Can you believe this snow, when will it stop? We'll never get any skiing in this way"