• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Been having fun watching different boarders' tactics for getting across the long runouts. A Few days ago I observed three young men, two boarders and a skier. When I spotted them skier was behind boarder #1 with a ski on either side and both hands firmly on hip. Skier gave boarder a mighty shove and boarder #1 gained a good bit of momentum and sailed forward with both of the skier's poles, one of which he handed to the stationary boarder #2 as he glided past. Now boarder #2 was using a ski pole to gain momentum with very little success. Skier who is still well behind both boarders starts skating like mad and yells to boarder #2, "Here I come, I'm gonna straddle ya!" Boarder #2 quickly retorts, "That's okay, I'm good!"

Guess homophobia made him the slowest of the bunch.

I skied with a boarder friend on Thursday. It was eye-opening. Literally every run I do has a traverse that isn't such a big deal with poles or the ability to skate ... but can be awful on a board. And while I'm not a great bump skier, I'll definitely head over to a bump field on a powder day because it's what hasn't been groomed overnight.

If I ever had any thoughts of trying to snowboard, Thursday cured me of it. As I explored Friday to find new stashes, I realized just how much more freedom I have because getting stuck on a flat isn't nearly as big a deal.

It would be interesting to tag along on an upper level snowboard lesson here to see if they have a different approach to the mountain. But I have to imagine that there's no way in which a board makes it *easier* to navigate to the goods. Except of course hiking. You do see a lot of boarders doing the hikes in the spring.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I skied with a boarder friend on Thursday. It was eye-opening. Literally every run I do has a traverse that isn't such a big deal with poles or the ability to skate ... but can be awful on a board. And while I'm not a great bump skier, I'll definitely head over to a bump field on a powder day because it's what hasn't been groomed overnight.

If I ever had any thoughts of trying to snowboard, Thursday cured me of it. As I explored Friday to find new stashes, I realized just how much more freedom I have because getting stuck on a flat isn't nearly as big a deal.

It would be interesting to tag along on an upper level snowboard lesson here to see if they have a different approach to the mountain. But I have to imagine that there's no way in which a board makes it *easier* to navigate to the goods. Except of course hiking. You do see a lot of boarders doing the hikes in the spring.

To me WP/MJ seem like a particularly bad destination for boarders. Tons of runouts and flats here.... but I often ride with boarders who don't have a problem keeping up. The keep their wax fresh, they hit the runout with good speed and they never sit down.

On the other hand, I'll def echo your sentiments. I was big into skateboarding at an earlier stage of life and riding a board goofy down the hill looks like big burly fun to me but I'm not hyped to try it because of everything that's not 'riding down the hill'.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
but I often ride with boarders who don't have a problem keeping up. The keep their wax fresh, they hit the runout with good speed and they never sit down.

Yeah. I suspect there are ways. And levels. I haven't skied with many boarders, but I've certainly seen good boarders all over the mountain, including places with nasty traverses, and I've seen them shredding the bumps. Some boarders assert that bumps are just not good on a board. Then I've spoken to some very good boarders who love bumps. So. It's not that you can't board bumps ...

Oh, that reminds me of an actual conversation, more on topic. My lesson program starts in December and goes through I think one week in March. I skied with a new-to-me fellow student a few weeks ago. It was January, it was his first day on skis for the season, and he was the slowest by several minutes on every bump run. I did figure out at some point that the group as a whole was less aggro than those I usually join, but four of us were within a minute or so of each other. (All ladies! One at an age where skiing bumps at all is highly unusual!)

At lunch, he complains that the lessons start in December. This is the guy who was several minutes behind on every. single. bump. run. And they were not full length bump runs - they were short sections of groomers.

So he says: "What's the point of taking lessons before there's any good snow?"

The face palm I had to squelch would have driven right through my forehead.

Me, I credit December lessons for making these last few days of deep snow much, much more enjoyable. (I find digging skis out of deep snow less than enjoyable.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So he says: "What's the point of taking lessons before there's any good snow?"

Your doing it wrong. ;-)
Funny, I feel like I made some of the biggest improvements on my skiing during drought years.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Funny, I feel like I made some of the biggest improvements on my skiing during drought years.
I think when there is less snow you have to focus more. With less terrain open it gives one an opportunity to practice on the easier available trails.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier

Basically like this. This guy obviously shreads just by watching how he duck/penguin walks. It's not easy to do. Some of my closest peeps ride at really advanced levels and it's crazy to see how they can really get going like this across flats.

Sometimes when you know there is a bad runout you let them get a few seconds in front of you and when they start to slow down you come up beside them extend your pole and whip them as hard as can. Usually does the trick.

Heavenly is the worst place as far as traverses. You don't realize until you try to play guide to a few boarders. Easy options become a pain in the ass

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Basically like this. This guy obviously shreads just by watching how he duck/penguin walks. It's not easy to do. Some of my closest peeps ride at really advanced levels and it's crazy to see how they can really get going like this across flats.

Wow. That's cool. It does look like it takes tons of energy, and of course would be even more work if you're in soft snow.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Sometimes when you know there is a bad runout you let them get a few seconds in front of you and when they start to slow down you come up beside them extend your pole and whip them as hard as can. Usually does the trick.

Heavenly is the worst place as far as traverses. You don't realize until you try to play guide to a few boarders. Easy options become a pain in the ass

That is how they make Crop Circles, isn't it?:D

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
HAHA, were you (perhaps) in the Singles Line?

Now that you mention it … yes. But that also leads me to the worst things I hear at a ski area such as when in line with a buddy and being asked if we are “together”. I would then speak very loudly so everyone in the line can hear that, no, I am not “with” another guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but, I’m not. I swear! Sometimes I am asked if I am a “double” but I just assume they came from the bar.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
When my DH was skiing without me, he'd get in the single line....his response to "are you single?"...at the moment yes! For years he had a problem with his ankle, and didn't want or really couldn't walk the village. So I would leave him in the bar and go do whatever was needed. It's a Microbrewery, so his line was....I'll have a small blonde, while I wait for the big blonde....nice eh!!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh, jeez. Groaner "dad joke" from the peanut gallery. Asked a guy in line at the T Bar if he was single. He responded, "No, happily married!" and then proceeded to loudly tell his friends how much he loved that joke. @Doby Man , was that you?

(It was HILARIOUS, let me tell you.)

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the northeast this week we had quite an interesting weather pattern with single digit lows followed by high temps reaching 60°

Three, 20 something year olds cut into a closed trail and start making turns in the piles of new ungroomed man made snow.
The lead skier gets sucked into the wet snow, double ejects and does a Superman impression.
When he’s finally upright and gathering his equipment we hear him reply .....

“ man, that was like skiing into a milkshake ! “

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now that you mention it … yes. But that also leads me to the worst things I hear at a ski area such as when in line with a buddy and being asked if we are “together”. I would then speak very loudly so everyone in the line can hear that, no, I am not “with” another guy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but, I’m not. I swear! Sometimes I am asked if I am a “double” but I just assume they came from the bar.
Be careful or else you'll seem like a doth protester too mucher (gotta love mangled Shakespeare). That's always been the biggest red flag to me for almost anything (Remember Eliot Spitzer)..

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Gettes

Booting up
Skier
"We've lived here for over 20 years and this is the best I've seen it." - from a couple I was riding the chair with in Steamboat in the late 90's. I was there the last two weeks in January and they got something like 190" that month. That was a Tuesday and the following Saturday was even better. BTW if anyone out there has a single Volkl P10 SLC with the black M48's on it please send it back to me...I figured out what powder cords were for.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Nice parenting. :nono:
Depends. If kid has been a jackass all season by doing stuff, like, not meeting up when and where every time, or blowing their lunch money on BS then whining about being hungry, repeatedly treating their equipment like its free....... Seriously, you dont know if the kid didnt just slide in his skis across the parking lot,,, again

Lots of reasons to call the fun to a halt that would be being a good parent.