• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Spring Skiing Ski Pants?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I'm looking for the best ski pants with these qualities:

1) Light colored. Either white or pastel to reflect sunlight.
2) Breathable and zero insulation. I don't care about waterproof, I need something that lets heat/sweat out and dries very fast. Even better if it's wicking fabric.
3) Durability panels on the inner ankle. Protects the pants from getting sliced to bits by ski edges when I fall.
4) Vents are a bonus. If the material is thin enough and breathes, may not be necessary.
5) Pockets.

Anyone have suggestions? They don't even need to be ski specific, except 3) is a bit of a problem. Basically need something like cargo pants, very thin material, wicking, but with some patches on inner ankle.

I wore these, and they are very close -- they just don't have the durability panels. Gotta have those... also don't need to convert them to shorts.

Ex Officio Convertible Pants

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
6) Not spandex :eek::eek:
Yeah but the only layer I could think of that came in white or pastels. Come on...you could totally rock em.

Warm spring days I've worn Uber thin Nike running pants with long sleeve top. Breeze went right thru everything. Super comfy and less expensive.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Btw, I currently have both of the pant's I suggested for you (older slightly different version of the Marmot M2 softshell pant). I have used the Marmot M2 soft shell pants for spring skiing at the resort and cross country skiing in the winter. The Mtn Hrdw Polartec NeoShell pants are new and unused, hopefully, that'll change soon.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing in 2016/17 in June and July at Mammoth led me to purchase a women's version of these. I really like them because they protect from the sun and wick moisture as well. The women's version rolls up and buttons to a shorter length so I don't have an issue with fit over ski boots though. I'm not sure how these would fit with ski boots. they do convert to shorts.
https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...MI2ZnGjMu64QIVwh-tBh0ZpArOEAQYBCABEgJ4lfD_BwE

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
A simple shell pant would be nice to find. Any color is fine with me. but price appropriate to the technology would be nice.
I don't require a techno, semi bib, with bells and whistles to skin up on a pleasant spring day ;-)

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Arcteryx Rush FL or the preceding Procline FL. They're not in super light colors, but it doesn't matter. They breathe super well and they have vents. I was actually kind of disappointed by them since I can only use them for summer touring and skimo races, whereas I was hoping for something a tad more apt for winter/spring. Nice belt feature & suspenders to boot.

They're my go-to pant for summer traverses & volcano days where I need the abrasion protection on my legs, but it gets upwards of 90 degrees and I'm trying not to die of heat stroke.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have black wind pants that have zippered pockets, zippers on bottom of pant legs and enough room to wear a pair of shorts underneath.

They ate marmot, maybe check out their other offerings. They make a solid pant.

TS
Seldomski

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Skiing in 2016/17 in June and July at Mammoth led me to purchase a women's version of these. I really like them because they protect from the sun and wick moisture as well. The women's version rolls up and buttons to a shorter length so I don't have an issue with fit over ski boots though. I'm not sure how these would fit with ski boots. they do convert to shorts.
https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...MI2ZnGjMu64QIVwh-tBh0ZpArOEAQYBCABEgJ4lfD_BwE

I wore something like these and they are great except for zippers on the ankles. The zippers on mine were on the inside of the leg. I destroyed those zippers with the ski edge in a fall.

Are the zippers on the ankles on your pants on the outside? If so, these could work.

TS
Seldomski

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Arcteryx Rush FL or the preceding Procline FL. They're not in super light colors, but it doesn't matter. They breathe super well and they have vents. I was actually kind of disappointed by them since I can only use them for summer touring and skimo races, whereas I was hoping for something a tad more apt for winter/spring. Nice belt feature & suspenders to boot.

They're my go-to pant for summer traverses & volcano days where I need the abrasion protection on my legs, but it gets upwards of 90 degrees and I'm trying not to die of heat stroke.

I can't find the procline. The newer model may work. Wish it came in lighter colors.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
A different version of the North Face ones already mentioned, but with ankle zips:

www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-paramount-trail-convertible-pants-nf0a2wla-c1?from=subCat&variationId=PLW&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_term=NF0A2WLAPLWSLNG1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnKHlBRDLARIsAMtMHDH__p6gnVY6Uy_tr_79WBMEZHxfeeVte46FBfyh4SfIgTtqRO25LE4aAhtwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#hero=0

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to add reinforcement patches/ cuffs on the bottom of the leg, especially if you find something that checks all of the other boxes.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sounds like you are describing jeans with gaitors..

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wore something like these and they are great except for zippers on the ankles. The zippers on mine were on the inside of the leg. I destroyed those zippers with the ski edge in a fall.

Are the zippers on the ankles on your pants on the outside? If so, these could work.
I have the women's pants - no zipper. They roll up and are secured with a button.

These ones have the zippers on the outside of the leg and they convert to shorts.
https://www.rei.com/product/131001/rei-co-op-sahara-convertible-pants-mens

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Haven't seen the Rush FL and am not interested in them due to no available length options. Standard 31" - 32" inseams won't work for me at 5'6.5", too long is a no go for touring.

I did try the Arc'teryx Beta AR pant which offers length options only the fit is ridiculous, huge in the seat and big wide legs, looked like skydiver pants, and although a thinnish weight, the fabric is still a stiffish crinkly G-tex.

TS
Seldomski

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Update - I tried on a few different pants that were on clearance (end of season) in Breckenridge. I found some new pants that are good for spring, and likely good for winter also. TBD next season how well they perform in cold + snow. Water does bead up on these - I wore them in the rain in Denver and didn't get wet.

https://www.strafeouterwear.com/product/capitol-pant/

By far the best fit and range of motion among what was in stock - or of any prior ski pant I have owned or tried on. Very well made - love them so far. I got them on sale for 40% off. Looks like there may be some online now at even deeper discounts (depends on color). The fabric is breathable and stretches a little bit - which is awesome! Not sure whether I will use suspenders always. They are removable.

These pants plus patagonia capilene long sleeve shirt were awesome for staying protected from sun, wind and staying cool.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...tml?dwvar_52147_color=STLP&cgid=mens-t-shirts

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
upload_2019-5-30_14-16-57.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online