• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Due to a big hole in my quiver. I'm trying to decide on a ski for skiing amongst the trees, bonus if it can pull double duty as a deep snow ski for a lightweight skier. I'm not looking for a one ski quiver; I have race skis in various radii for use on groomers, am perfectly happy enough skiing moguls with my ancient P50s. I was happy with my old Volants (full cambered 68 mm at the waist 190 cm long) in deep snow, until I tried some 96 mm to 108 mm rockered skis out west in deep wet snow. The first ski I demoed was the 2018-19 Blizzard Bonafide, rocker-camber-rocker 180 cm, and it was a revelation.

Looking for all opinions.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a wonderful time skiing the Renoun Citadel at Big Sky last year in glades and deeper snow. Super light, plenty of edge capability getting back to the lift. I'm 225ish so, at 106 underfoot, it should serve well as a deep snow ski for a lighter skier. The Armada Tracer 108 would be another to take a close look at. Both the 98 and 108 are super fun, easy skis.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of FX94 that I use in glades but I was looking for something a bit softer and easier to turn so I picked up a K2 Mindbender 90Ti. Fun ski and easy to turn quickly. Maybe try that or the 99Ti, which I've seen others here talk highly of.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Something in the ninety to one 0 something is likely to do what you're asking.

If you liked the Bonafide, you'll love the K2 Mindbender 99, or if you want to go bigger, the 108.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Super happy with my Masterblasters in trees. They go warp 11 on groom and great for trees and bumps. Too narrow to warp 11 in crud but I like trees more than crud these days.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
J Skis Masterblaster, 4FRNT Devastator, Nordica Enforcers (any waist width) are all strong choices.

You probably want some tail rocker.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve just gone for Nordica Enforcer 104 Free for not crazy deep days, and DPS Wailer 112 RP for crazy deeeeeep days. Both primarily based around skiing Hokkaido powder in trees.

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming.
Currently top runners are:
The Bonafide (because it was so shockingly easy to ski in the deep snow in the trees and could still carve hard (if not quick edge to edge) turns on firm snow, but I did not like its lack of ability to make clean high speed turns on the groomed - by the time I got it tipped enough to engage the edges it would try and carve too-tight a turn for the speed I was going (possibly tune, but more likely the short radius), which is an easy problem to lift with in Ontario Canada as top speed is limited by no steep groomed runs.
The Volkl 100-eight because it was almost as easy as the bonafide and although not a stability champion, could still leave clean tracks at high speeds, just could not provide very much turn force on groomed runs (and took a lot of real estate to stop LOL).
The Fischer 102 Freeride, Rossi QST 106 (playful), Mindbender 108 Ti (not sure what width to get), Fischer 202FR Ranger, Armada Tracer 108.
Based on your opinions, stated radius and this video:

Next up for review

Slarvy turns is a new exciting and fun area of exploration for me, after decades of refining the purity of the carve. I am willing to sacrifice hard charging ability for fun in the case of this quiver ski.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought you owned the 100Eight. Good tree ski with enough snow. Are you looking for something narrower for packed out tree bumps? Where would you be using this ski, exactly?

PS, if you liked the Bonafide as a tree ski, you haven't tried enough skis.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yea bonafide would be quickly eliminated from my list for the category as best or biased for tree skiing, and I own 2 pairs of bonafides.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As usual you can sacrifice edge hold flotation niimbleness etc. Pick a ski that is great for how you want to ski your typical woods and ok for everything else.

Some days i wish i had a lighter nimble ski but other days am happy to have the stability of my current set. My old k2 86/186 aftershock were so easygoing but still just strong enough.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
1584314346519.png

Alchemist Wailer 100RP
simply the best ski I have ever owned.

for powder specific apparently the Alchemist Wailer 112RP is the DPS ski to buy.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski a lot of tight trees in Fernie. The moment deathwish is my go to ski. If it's a pow day and the snow is uniformly 3d, I use my on3p billy goats, but the deathwish if my go to for variable.

I just bought the mantra 102, and skied it all weekend at fernie. It's capable in the trees, but more work and not as much fun. It has other strengths though. I skied a bonafide for a few years, and it was worse in the trees. Brahma was even worse than the the bones. Rustler 11 was alright.

For touring, my moment wildcat tours are quite nice too.

I like a loose ski for trees.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can vouch for both Mindbender 90ti and 108ti for tree skiing. As long as you stay forward on them they are really easy to flick around. For the 108ti, recently had them in knee deep powder over crust in a reasonably tight and steep tree run. The stability and flickabililty (is that a word?) really inspired confidence in those conditions. Also when considering length and deciding between two sizes I would advise to size down for maneuverability.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skis that are great in the glades usually feature a good amount of rocker(especially tail rocker) and forward binding mounts for quicker and easier pivoting and a forgiving tail flex especially if the glades get bumpy.

Master Blaster, Enforcer 104 both great in glades with the Mindbender 108 Ti being the best Mindbender in glades. Moment Wildcat 108 is another easy to pivot option, Origin 106 another fun and playful glade ski and the Fisher 102 FR is the least playful of the glade group but the best carver when outside of the trees. Any of these skis would be fun in the trees and worth a demo.
Moving the mount forward on most of these skis with traditional mounts(Enforcer 104, Mindbender 108 Ti, Fisher 102 FR) makes them more playful and easier to pivot in the trees.