• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Montage is great because it’s cheap, and White Lightning is the most challenging PA run I have been on (when it’s bumped up). A pass holder can park and walk right to the lift serving the lower mountain “expert” area. They have a cool restaurant and bar with a neat mural of coal miners using the first radio in one of the local mine shafts. (We PA folks have to embrace our history and appreciate it).

If Montage cut some glades, it would be better.

Jack Frost (which we lovingly call “Jackson Frost”) is in its own microclimate, being relatively high on the Pocono Plateau, so it can be snowing up there when it is sunny everywhere else. They have some fun glades.....one can ski anywhere they want at Frost, which can keep things interesting and make up for the short runs when the snow is good. The view of the river from the East Mountain is pretty, and makes one dream of April fly-fishing days.

The view of the river from the “Rivershot” run at Jack Frost:
25892EEF-6CDA-41B9-B837-4E7D308F44D4.jpeg

Partaking of some Fireball whiskey at Montage’s outdoor ice bar:
DC8FBE7B-3EFE-47DF-B0F0-286086507434.jpeg

The “cattle truck” shuttle at Elk, which transports skiers from the parking lot to the lodge:
037B21B4-E120-40AB-AF0C-8638CFE1E88E.jpeg

Slocum Hollow Bar at Montage, which features a mural of the first radio used in the China Vein at the Lackawanna Coal Mine:
43A4274F-2A85-4DB5-8AFD-25BBE18626DC.jpeg

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Montage is great because it’s cheap, and White Lightning is the most challenging PA run I have been on (when it’s bumped up). A pass holder can park and walk right to the lift serving the lower mountain “expert” area. They have a cool restaurant and bar with a neat mural of coal miners using the first radio in one of the local mine shafts. (We PA folks have to embrace our history and appreciate it).

Jack Frost (which we lovingly call “Jackson Frost”) is in its own microclimate, being relatively high on the Pocono Plateau, so it can be snowing up there when it is sunny everywhere else. They have some fun glades.....one can ski anywhere they want at Frost, which can keep things interesting and make up for the short runs when the snow is good. The view of the river from the East Mountain is pretty, and makes one dream of April fly-fishing days.

View attachment 52971

View attachment 52973

The “cattle truck” shuttle at Elk, which transports skiers from the parking lot to the lodge:
View attachment 52974

Slocum Hollow Bar at Montage, which features a mural of the first radio used in the China Vein at the Lackawanna Coal Mine:
View attachment 52977

Wendy....nice reviews of Montage and JF. You are spot on. When you are up this way..give a shout, I’m game for taking some PA laps.

*(Left side in/around the snow guns of WL at Montage is the money side.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 52971

View attachment 52973

View attachment 52974

View attachment 52977
I agree about Jack Frost verses other areas regarding temps and that also lends to them having better snow. While it doesn't have the vertical of some other areas, the times that I used to go there it was worth the drive.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Only in PA does a mountain load people into the back of a truck standing and drive them to the lodge. :roflmao:

Elk advertises as: “like skiing in Vermont without the drive”. As locals we say, Elk is like skiing in Vermont without the: snow, high speed lifts, tree skiing, smiling employees, tailgate beers, etc....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Elk advertises as: “like skiing in Vermont without the drive”. As locals we say, Elk is like skiing in Vermont without the: snow, high speed lifts, tree skiing, smiling employees, tailgate beers, etc....
Elk has soem trees, that if they would open them up could be pretty darn good.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Elk has soem trees, that if they would open them up could be pretty darn good.

Don’t not get me wrong. We like Elk. I ski there pretty cheap, so I’m there a lot and have been for 20+ years. We are locals..enjoy the company of others, tailgate beers, etc.

You can get into the trees between Delaware and Lehigh....and next to Lackawanna/Susquehanna....and other places off the low speed quad.....just don’t get caught, or you will definitely lose ticket/pass.....even banning repeat offenders. Yes, can’t go back.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Only in PA does a mountain load people into the back of a truck standing and drive them to the lodge. :roflmao:

Stratton and Taos both used the open air stand up cattle cars to shuttle skiers from the parking lot to the base.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Stratton and Taos both used the open air stand up cattle cars to shuttle skiers from the parking lot to the base.

Do they really? That's funny. I haven't been to Taos and when we were at Stratton we stayed on-site.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah that and if you see a simple orange cone on edge of road, you best slow the hell down.

I like Elk it’s close to home, conditions are always as good as you could expect. The cattle truck is a bummer, but I don’t ride it but 1-2 times a season.
Been saying for years I should get to Montage some night but it’s easier to get off exit then to keep going another 35 min. Gonna do it some Friday night this year. I never heard anything bad about it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stratton used the same stand up cattle car as Elk for the run to lot #1. It has a awning to control the breeze a bit. Last couple of seasons they have been trying out enclosed shuttles.

Taos used a fifth wheel trailer. The ride can be a bit rough. But hey you are in a 3rd world country. The Land of Entrapment. :D
Taos Shuttle.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
When it's busy here, they have similar trailer things, but with benches on each side. For all I know, during Christmas people are standing.. (I don't really do Christmas.)

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
I like Jiminy Peak in Western Mass, as well as Belleayre in the Catskills. I’m also partial to Plattekill, though being limited to being open mostly weekends can lower the convenience factor. Even on a Saturday, Platte is usually not packed.

BillyGoat

Booting up
Skier
I love Belleayre, and especially for beginners. The green trails at the bottom are really long ... something like 100+ chair lift.

I don't know anything about their ski school.

Wherever you go, if you aren't familiar with the green trails, you might want to do some scouting runs first so you can help your son choose the most appropriate run for him.

Completely agree ... Bell's greens offer so much more than Hunter or Windham in terms of length and variety. Also, I think hte jump to Blues at Bell feel right. Some places the jump to Blue is a bit more severe. The lodge at the bottom where the gondola is more family friendly in my opinion too.

If you wanted to stay close to MC area, Mount Peter is a great little hill with a completely opposite vibe than MC where snowboards rule and good manners are hard to find.

good luck!

BillyGoat

Booting up
Skier
Cant believe that I'm writing this........but what about Campgaw or Tuxedo Ridge??? Depending on where you live, close to NYC, can rent skis from Ski Barn and not have deal with lines at the areas. Both are cost effective, small, not steep and easy to walk away from at the end of the day or if your son has another negative experience.

TR is permanently closed.

Sponsor

Staff online