• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
I used to go through black toenails every year. If you drain it before the fluid compresses and kills off the tissue you can save the nail.
Draining usually involves like a heated paper clip to melt through, or a drill bit say 1/16 or bit less. (Wire sizes are better)
I once did this at work when I explained the paperclip technique and then went on to "I'm sure a drill bit would work just as well, without the smell". They were either fascinated, disbelieving, grossed out, or just wanted to see a train wreck. So, I got out the drill and an appropriate bit. Since I was a professional, I at least cleaned it and sterilized it with alchohol. Might have used a torch too. Drama.

So, I drill in with several people looking, regular cordless drill, and the fluid really shoots out. It was pretty dramatic. Way more than I expected. Totally grossed everyone out. That nail was saved.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here is a picture taken today 4/20/19 of my wifes calf injury. This was caused by a demo of Rossignol Sky skis with an axial type binding. The demo was at the Whistler Demo tent on Sunday 4/14/19. She is advanced intermediate and they were supposed to be set at a DIN of 4-1/2. She had a forward fall and the heel did not release before she injured her calf. She said it was not too serious and continued to ski. This is a picture of what showed up a few days later. This is actually a picture that is improved over yesterday. I did not speak to the Rossignol Rep. as I did not think at the time that it was a big deal.
IMG_20190420_073453682.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is a picture taken today 4/20/19 of my wifes calf injury. This was caused by a demo of Rossignol Sky skis with an axial type binding. The demo was at the Whistler Demo tent on Sunday 4/14/19. She is advanced intermediate and they were supposed to be set at a DIN of 4-1/2. She had a forward fall and the heel did not release before she injured her calf. She said it was not too serious and continued to ski. This is a picture of what showed up a few days later. This is actually a picture that is improved over yesterday. I did not speak to the Rossignol Rep. as I did not think at the time that it was a big deal.
View attachment 71765
It's not her Achilles is it?

James

Out There
Instructor
Was the Din not set to 4 1/2? Bindings don't always release.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was the Din not set to 4 1/2? Bindings don't always release.
They were supposed to be. at 4-1/2. She said it was not a big deal so I did not even look. I have a few Axial II and III bindings and this concerns me. I agree, bindings do not always release as they should.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Looks like my leg the first time I tore a calf muscle. Recovery was about the six weeks the doctor predicted.

Be aware that the torn muscle MAY mean the Achilles is slightly compromised

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I lost a toenail recently. Literally. I looked down one morning after skiing on the last day of the season and saw a tiny new nail growing on my big toe. I have no idea where the old one is, unless it's hiding in my boot.
@James , it was the one that had the pressure/fluid released. My other blackened big toenail is still hanging on.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 71765
Did she get it checked by a doc? I'm not one, but that internal bleeding on each end separated by no bleeding looks alarmingly familiar.

I ruptured my biceps tendon last year and you could see where there was internal bleeding both where the tendon detached from the bone in my forearm and where the tendon retracted to further up my arm leaving my biceps muscle all floppy.

img_20180411_082219_1-jpg.43899

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Tell her my first Achilles tendon rupture occurred a few months after the torn calf muscle experience.

My second (I have zipper lines up the back of both legs) occurred when I forgot to turn down the settings on my Look Pivot 14s on the one pair of skis after the Vail Resorts equipment check done by their shops. I took in four pairs for the free check and went to a non-mandatory training with that one pair I'd failed to set back from a 9 to my usual 5.5 release. I stuck the ski into a mogul, went over the handlebars and ripped the tendon.

Last edited:

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tell her my first Achilles tendon rupture occurred a few months after the torn calf muscle experience.

My second (I have zipper lines up the back of both legs) occurred when I forgot to turn down the settings on my Look Pivot 14s on the one pair of skis after the Vail Resorts equipment check done by their shops. I took in four pairs for the free check and went to a non-mandatory training with that one pair I'd failed to set back from a 9 to my usual 5.5 release. I stuck the ski into a mogul, went over the handlebars and ripped the tendon.
I relayed this information to my wife and her response was poor thing in regards to you. Thanks for the info.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just saw this in a clip of Ingrid Backstrom from Seven Sunny Days - Matchstick
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 7.17.26 AM.png

See movie clip here