• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess this is the place to post this, though it's more than just bruising... my toe when they took the cast off, about a week after dropping a scuba tank on it and shattering the bone. They stitched the nail on to prevent the bone from being exposed.

View attachment 68843

And the X-Ray from the Dominican hospital that did the work...

View attachment 68842

I just almost puked.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just almost puked.
How do you think I felt?

Seriously though... sorry. I didn't think it was any worse than some of the others posted, and kind of unique/interesting (to me, at least ... I actually thought about being an orthopedic surgeon when I was younger).

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How do you think I felt?

Seriously though... sorry. I didn't think it was any worse than some of the others posted, and kind of unique/interesting (to me, at least ... I actually thought about being an orthopedic surgeon when I was younger).

It’s more that the nail reminded me of an eyeball... :eek:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They put a cast on a busted toe?

Yep - I thought that was weird too. But they were afraid of it moving too much and pulling the stitches. My doctor at home removed the cast a little over a week after I got it, and put me in a walking shoe-thingy (that's a technical term) that protected the toe for another couple of weeks.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
that had have hurt! but again, it ain't the bruise that hurts. :D

Weirdly it didn't hurt at all, with the exception of when they did the stitching. Everything else was fine - It was so quick, I didn't even think I broke it when it happened. I walked like 100 yards back to the dive shop to bandage it. I'm still confused over why it didn't hurt.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
How do you think I felt?

I mean, with a title like "Best picture of a bruise ever," I think we can expect some blech.

Aquiverfull

The mountains are calling and I must go.
Skier
Do toenails count? One missing, the other getting ready to go.

55593558.jpg

This happened to me years ago when I was getting a lot of ski days in!! I researched it and I guess it isn't uncommon with skiers? Anyone else have this issue? One of my big toes never recovered and I have permanent damage. I now have new boots, but not getting that many ski days in...yet! Maybe next season I will test the theory, lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This happened to me years ago when I was getting a lot of ski days in!! I researched it and I guess it isn't uncommon with skiers? Anyone else have this issue? One of my big toes never recovered and I have permanent damage. I now have new boots, but not getting that many ski days in...yet! Maybe next season I will test the theory, lol!

I have lost toenails because: boot too loose /not perfect fit (room for toes to slideforward), hanging out in the backseat, and once from a minuscule fold in the toe of my sock.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Toenails should automatically be removed sometime shortly after birth, before the onset of shoe wearing; talk about vestigial. As annoying as they are through mid-life, they really take it up a notch as you drift into your senior years.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dont usually lose my nail but every year a portion separates from the nail bed and gets ugly. Podiatrist said it is trauma and that once it happens you ar prone to it happening very easily. Usually takes 5 or 6 months in sandles to look semi normal again. And if I go hiking and stub my toe it is year round.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
My three experiences with black toenails each resulted from WALKING in boots too loose to prevent toes from hitting the boots

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Since this is thoroughly derailed now... only time I have worried about losing toenails in ski boots was while doing dolphin turns. Those are murder on my toes.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Toenails should automatically be removed sometime shortly after birth, before the onset of shoe wearing; talk about vestigial. As annoying as they are through mid-life, they really take it up a notch as you drift into your senior years.

Let's double down: the very first thing that should be "fixed" when we start genetically modifying ourselves is ....... TOENAILS!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Despite my multiple experiences with black toenails, I'm thankful for having them. The tissues beneath them are exceedingly tender!!!