• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Sup guys!?

Coming from Europe, living in NYC. Every year we go skiing somewhere at East Coast. So far we've been to Stowe and Killington (not counting places around NYC since it's a joke - like 2 lifts, 4 trails lol...). We used to ski all over Europe and understand it's not and can't be comparable to American East Coast but need help where to go this time??
We can't really go to Utah or Colorado since have a company of 6-7-8 people and not all of us can afford Aspen or Vail. So question is where to go for serious skiing with lots of lifts and trails and some content besides skiing like descent bars, restaurants, bowling alleys, pool/spa... We're in mid 30's so it's not really a plan to stay every night in hotel room.
Thank You!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mad river valley might be hit or miss but good quality.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Canada is not an option this time but thank you.

If helps we liked Stowe better than Killington. Way better. Stowe is more upscale, meaning everything is on higher level, better condition, you get a base lodge village that reminded us to French Alps. Trails and slopes are better connected than Killington, less walking in boots. Everything is concentrated etc...

Main goal is to SKI since we are all pro, i've heard about Stratton that has similar mountain village like Stowe but way less trails and lifts so that's a no go i guess. Plan is to go for 5 days and we just don't want to ski every day same freakin' trails over and over again.

Last edited:
TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Mad river valley might be hit or miss but good quality.

that place has like 7 trails and can be skied in a day. Just checked a map. But heard it's very good terrain. Thanks a lot anyway !

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
that place has like 7 trails and can be skied in a day. Just checked a map. But heard it's very good terrain. Thanks a lot anyway !

When he says Mad River Valley, that would include Sugarbush and the towns of Waitsfield and Warren. Not just Mad River Glen.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is not much that is similar to Stowe in the northeast US from the upscale + size perspective you seem to be looking for.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
When he says Mad River Valley, that would include Sugarbush and the towns of Waitsfield and Warren. Not just Mad River Glen.
that is better !! How is that connected with lifts? or we go every day to different slopes, base with bus/car?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Thanks! is there something to do besides skiing ? any bars, restaurants, spas? Maine is far away from NYC, we would have to stay at least a 5-7 days and we are crowd of men lol

I'm not the guy to answer that, but I think it's all there in a "base village" sort of way like at Stratton. And yes, it is very far away. It's not in Canada, but from NYC it might be the same distance as Tremblant.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Maybe go up to North Conway, NH and ski several different smaller places?
This, though I prefer to stay in Jackson next door. This gives easy access to Bretton Woods, Wildcat and others. Puts you in the middle of the only serious mountain scenery on the East coast. There is driving but it is easy and the scenery makes it worth it. Even if it does not exactly match what you have in mind, it is pretty much a must do at some point. Not many places in the East you can watch ice climbers from the road side.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
There is driving, there are cars, buses, planning, takes off our time and makes us tired of everything eventually. Please don't get me wrong, after whole Europe i was more than happy with Stowe even when we got way less trails than in Europe but everything was just there (in Stowe). Come to a village or stay in a village, come out, put my skis on and finish my day an 5pm at same spot from where i started. From the same point i could've jumped to a pool/spa or get drunk in some bar. If u get me...

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
How about Whiteface (Lake Placid?) Not the largest area, but the biggest vertical (by a lot I think) and some very challenging runs, if there is enough snow. The town is also great for doing other stuff.
will make some research. Tnx

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
I'm not the guy to answer that, but I think it's all there in a "base village" sort of way like at Stratton. And yes, it is very far away. It's not in Canada, but from NYC it might be the same distance as Tremblant.
i meant anything, at least something to eat or get a beer and play darts or whatever. Main goal is to ski but when you 5-7 days with 5+ group of guys, staying in hotel every night is not an option. Also we are not looking for heavy night outs either. Have plenty of it here in NYC.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
i meant anything, at least something to eat or get a beer and play darts or whatever. Main goal is to ski but when you 5-7 days with 5+ group of guys, staying in hotel every night is not an option. Also we are not looking for heavy night outs either. Have plenty of it here in NYC.

I think you'd be fine at Sugarloaf, and while it's not St Anton, it is one of the biggest resorts in the East.

Sponsor