• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
What month are you going? Sugarloaf can be cold in January. It can still be cold in March. :roflmao:
Above photos were taken in mid-March 2014 and high temperature for the day was 8F/-13C. This makes Sugarloaf especially good for a spring (March or April) ski trip compared to many other places in eastern USA.
February

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
What do you mean "pro skier".
Maybe not the right word since i don't compete, especially since had bad injury in Tignes(France). But yeah, ski all my life, skiing every year from first years, and skied all Europe and most of the Alps. Especially French. Was pretty good before that injury when friend almost cut my leg in two with snowboard (first day, extra sharp board lol)

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Southwest flight LGA - DEN first week of Feb < $200 RT. Lots of choices cheaper than Aspen or Vail.
not my call only, it's a group so... But Aspen, Vail and Whistler are on my bucket list, whenever!

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe not the right word since i don't compete, especially since had bad injury in Tignes(France). But yeah, ski all my life, skiing every year from first years, and skied all Europe and most of the Alps. Especially French. Was pretty good before that injury when friend almost cut my leg in two with snowboard (first day, extra sharp board lol)
You really should consider flying to Salt Lake City. Probably quickest to skiing in west.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
So what i got so far is Sugarbush or Sugarloaf. Sugarbush closer, good terrain a lots of it, close to Mad River Glen so can ski there also but need car, shuttle buses for everything... Sugarloaf Far in Maine , lots of terrain also, high peak, often cold but everything there centred , not need a lots of movement, sort of ski village existing and closest to Stowe with style of resort. Did i get it right?

Thank you everyone!

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
First off. American skiing is not like European skiing. We have individual ski areas. We do not have interconnected lift and piste networks that allow for village to village skiing.

That said, I would echo the above votes for North Conway. A walkable little ski town with loads of eating and drinking options, very reasonable accommodation prices, half dozen fairly small ski areas within a few miles of town and another half dozen within an hour. Backcountry options for those who want them. Ice climbing lessons for the non ski days.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
First off. American skiing is not like European skiing. We have individual ski areas. We do not have interconnected lift and piste networks that allow for village to village skiing.

That said, I would echo the above votes for North Conway. A walkable little ski town with loads of eating and drinking options, very reasonable accommodation prices, half dozen fairly small ski areas within a few miles of town and another half dozen within an hour. Backcountry options for those who want them. Ice climbing lessons for the non ski days.
understand but trying to find whatever is close to it and as i said numerous times i really liked Stowe and got that Euro vibe from it but ofc want to see something new, something else. Thank you

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think we’re concerned you’re destined to be disappointed because Stowe has a combination of some of the best terrain in the east, the newest base development at Spruce and the stereotypical New England town. It is a unique combination. There are other similar sized mountains, there are other New England towns, but most New England ski resorts do not have large recently developed bases. Think of what Stowe was like 15 years ago when there was no Spruce base development. That is more the norm. Sugarloaf may be good enough, but it’s a long drive if it isn’t.

James

Out There
Instructor
Given that Lake Placid is a good hour closer than Sugarbush, what do we think of Whiteface? CI was only there to watch US Nationals years ago.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
I think we’re concerned you’re destined to be disappointed because Stowe has a combination of some of the best terrain in the east, the newest base development at Spruce and the stereotypical New England town. It is a unique combination. There are other similar sized mountains, there are other New England towns, but most New England ski resorts do not have large recently developed bases. Think of what Stowe was like 15 years ago when there was no Spruce base development. That is more the norm. Sugarloaf may be good enough, but it’s a long drive if it isn’t.
Exactly my point and exactly what we want and need from "East" and if Sugarloaf is closest to that "type/style" i'll drive there no matter what ! Thank you so much!

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Given that Lake Placid is a good hour closer than Sugarbush, what do we think of Whiteface? CI was only there to watch US Nationals years ago.
20 miles of slopes and 10 lifts. it's day ski escape from the city

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
You really need to go to Sugarloaf. Maine will provide a better experience than Vermont for someone from NYC looking for a more centralized resort feel.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Unfortunately driving is part of NE skiing, not too many airports to fly into- Yes our Mts can't compete with Europe but the curvy, wooded trails are pretty cool imo.. Weekends will always be busy (except at WF- most are done after skiing 5runs)
How about a ski Safari?
Up the NYS Thruway to the Northway- SKI GORE-
then after skiing Drive 1.15 Hr to Whiteface, Stay 2+ Days
Lake Placid is Great- Lots of bars, hotels, many Olympic things to do (ride a bobsled, go to the top to Jumps, stand on the podium)
WF is awesome. TONS of Vertical, Steep,
ThenDrive up to MT Tremblant- (4hrs) Ski 3+ Days Stay at Sonnet des Neiges- slopeside condos- Village is fun (30% off w/US Dollar)
Could then cut back thru VT/NH-
I just skied LOON for the first time it was really fun w/3 different bases, the South side NO green Trails
Beautiful fall lines.
Village of Lincoln fun, lots of restaurants etc.
Loon was 4hrs back to Albany NY (I live 1.5hr North of ALB)
The Loaf is Fun but Far, I stayed on the Mt never saw a town?
(I'm not a K-mart fan either- layout is a lot of cross mt roads, too many greenies on expert trails)
Not sure of how much time you have off?

skinavy

Booting up
Skier
Stowe is the ONLY thing close to fully "upscale" you will find on the East Coast. Almost everything else is oriented more towards groups on a budget for a weekend, or day trips from the large cities. Americans who want big and fancy go to the Rockies.
Stowe, Killington, Sugarbush are the largest in the area you seem to be interested in. Mad River, next to Sugarbush, is smaller but absolutely legendary for it's very rustic feel and "ski anything you want" terrain. And no snowboards allowed there. Almost a "must ski" place if you are nearby!
Staying in Waterbury, which is just South of Stowe, puts all of those (except Killington) within 1/2 hour drive.
Whiteface/Lake Placid (1980 Olympics) is a nice town and fun mountain, too, although it's pretty isolated, and if conditions are not good, you may feel stuck.
I like the New Hampshire idea, stay in Jackson (upscale village, very cute inns and restaurants, but not that many), and spend a day at each of Wildcat, Attitash, Waterville (World Cup used to have a stop there), maybe Loon. As other have said, don't discount the fun you can have exploring the nooks and crannies of several local areas, instead of just one place?
Depending on time of year, willingness to hike, and conditions, skiing parts of the original trails around there from the 1930s (look up Sherburne and Tuckerman's Ravine) can be great fun too.