• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did anyone mention Mad River Glen. If the snow is good, it is the best in the east... one man's opinion. The trail map may lead one to believe that there are not enough trails, but there is so much to ski and the vibe is Vermont.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Did anyone mention Mad River Glen. If the snow is good, it is the best in the east... one man's opinion. The trail map may lead one to believe that there are not enough trails, but there is so much to ski and the vibe is Vermont.
The OP already pooped all over that idea

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
He liked the vibe of the Stowe base area - presumably Spruce. MRG couldn’t be more different.
Yeah you have that cute base village where you already have plenty of stuff, like open air warm water pool, bars and restaurants and when you go down the roads you have more and more of that. But the point is that everything starts from that same point, all the lifts and trails, i don't have to drive to any base or any other part of some mountain to find more trails.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, MRG is Vermont while Stowe is modern. It is possible that he would go to the heart and sole of Vermont and have a beer on the deck. Or he could go to Stratton...

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Best skiing, bars, girls in underwear with handle of schnaps in hot tub = valley. That was last year not when i was 30. There are other options but this is the best mix of what you are looking for.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll agree that Sugarloaf meets most of your criteria, although be prepared for less upscale than Stowe.

If you can accept a smaller mountain than Stowe, Jay Peak might work.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is driving, there are cars, buses, planning, takes off our time and makes us tired of everything eventually. Please don't get me wrong, after whole Europe i was more than happy with Stowe even when we got way less trails than in Europe but everything was just there (in Stowe). Come to a village or stay in a village, come out, put my skis on and finish my day an 5pm at same spot from where i started. From the same point i could've jumped to a pool/spa or get drunk in some bar. If u get me...
Based on above, I agree with others that have suggested Sugarloaf, Maine. It's even farther from NYC than Stowe, but once you get there you can park car and not use it again until you leave.
sugarloaf hottub.jpeg

sugarloaf view.jpeg

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
Best skiing, bars, girls in underwear with handle of schnaps in hot tub = valley. That was last year not when i was 30. There are other options but this is the best mix of what you are looking for.
Best skiing is most important and then i get suggestion of some hill of 3 lifts and 7 trails. For me as a pro skier it's not a point to ski every day same trails over and over again. And when i say bar or a hot tub that's only a benefit of any place ever, not just a ski resort.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MRG is hit or miss, and definitely depends upon an appreciation of old-school atmosphere and amenities. I would not drive from NYC just to ski there exclusively.
  • Whiteface is big and Lake Placid has LOTS of non-skiing stuff. I don't believe there is any housing at the base, however. And it has a reputation for being cold and icy.
  • Sugarloaf is also big and has a decent base area...but not a lot of town around it. I've only been there in summer, so I can't REALLY comment, but It's pretty far into backwoods Maine.
  • Mad River Valley has lots of stuff, and you can ski Sugarbush, which has two distinct areas/mountains, and Mad River Glen if you feel like it and conditions warrant.
  • Sunday River has short-ish runs (1000 +/- feet?) but is stretched out over a ridgeline of six peaks, so there's a lot of variety. Base area is kinda worn-out, however.
Truth is, if you live in NYC, you can often find a cheap, quick flight to Salt Lake City and be in Park City in about the same time as it would take if you drive to Maine. Park City sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you liked Stowe, go there. Sugarbush - Mad River has some bars, and if you include Waterbury, top beers in VT. But you're driving. So, yes there's some stuff.

Personally, for skiing, if you're not doing off map woods, I probably prefer Killington. It's at least 1 1/2 hrs closer.
Bars-Can't see how Stowe has more.

But, if you just want to roll back to Spruce and drink I get it. I think you can stay on mountain at Sugarbush. There is a bar in base lodge.

Lake Placid is pretty small but there's stuff. It's not a bad option.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll agree that Sugarloaf meets most of your criteria, although be prepared for less upscale than Stowe.

If you can accept a smaller mountain than Stowe, Jay Peak might work.

I was going to suggest Jay Peak and as alternative to Stratton, I was going to suggest Okemo - both have villages. However, as a life long Killington skier, while it is missing the village, you do have an access road that has many fine restaurants and lodges, I would give it another try. As far as terrain is concerned, the best places for advanced skiers are Stowe, Killington, Jay Peak, and Sugarbush. I would give Killington another try and check out the Birch Ridge Inn - which has some of the best food, a great bar, and wonderful hosts. They are located mid way up the access road.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What month are you going? Sugarloaf can be cold in January. It can still be cold in March. :roflmao:
Above photos were taken in mid-March 2014 and high temperature for the day was 8F/-13C. This makes Sugarloaf especially good for a spring (March or April) ski trip compared to many other places in eastern USA.

TS
Popaas

Popaas

Booting up
Skier
went to Killington and didn't like it. Just for those who think of me that fancy base village and bars/spas are most important stuff for me it's not. I've heard Killington is biggest and best on east, most lifts and trails but terrain is a joke to me, trails are often short and not well connected, sometimes had to walk to get between two lifts etc. Was more exhausting than skiing. had to find AirBnB 10 miles away then you pack you stuff, put in the car, find a parking walk, go to a base, make yourself ready, than walk again towards lifts... it's just too much. And often is very busy during a weekend so you have to park your car far away next to a road etc... that is not skiing experience for me.

Heard about Stratton that is supercute new England style resort but not so many trails and lifts and probably will be bored of skiing after 2-3 days no?

Sponsor