• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
This thread is inspired by a video in which Mikaela Shiffrin talks about finding rhythm in a course during pre-inspection, and her affinity to music and dance, of which she has posted a number of videos at her Instagram account.

I pose the question. What music or songs do you find great to ski to, or find yourself thinking about skiing when you listen to it, and a short explanation of why. To kick this off, here's my shortlist.

Chain of Fools by Aretha Franklin: Gets my hips rolling.

Chained to the Rhythm by Katy Perry: Takes me into short, medium, and long turns.

I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred: Inspires me to ski and turn quickly and stylishly.

Poison Lips by Vitalic: Track to Eric Harbour's YouTube follow-cam video of Lila Lapanja skiing gates; also same of Mikaela Shiffrin doing same, but to a different, but same genre, music. I associate the music with high speed short turns made with precision.

So, how about you? And, if anyone knows how to insert a link to music here, as one can insert a link to a YouTube video, please share.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love Manson, Disturbed, Metallica, The Cult and Buckcherry but most of that music is too frenetic to ski with so prefer to ski to more chill tunes.

Hip hop is a favorite of mine but it must have steady flow and a smooth groove. Love tupac, biggie, snoop, nas, dre, Ice cube, eazy e just to name a few. Mary J. Blige, Missy Elluot, Queen Latifah and Iggy Azealea are other faves.

I also love a little Joan Jett or some pop such as Sugar by Maroon 5, Madonna, Katy Perry or Taylor Swift.

Title track to Blood Sugar Sex Magic by that chili peppers is a great one due to that slow hip hop beat style.

Kid Rock is another great choice for me.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The music of my skis on the snow, the winds of nature and my own movement and the warning sounds of approaching sliders. I cannot understand why anyone would want to reduce their HEARING while involved in something potentially injurious.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That's a definite benefit of wearing a helmet is the ear bud is no longer directly in your ear so it's more background music than anything so you can hear it all. We're not allowed to wear the earbuds when teaching even if just in our helmet but not being used so I only have the ear buds in about half the time I'm skiing other mountains. I definitely enjoy a little background music while cruising. In the spring on the ultimate warmest of days when I'm skiing near 70 degrees I sometimes don't wear my helmet and then I'll only put one ear bud in my ear so I can hear what's around me. Sometime it is nice to get lost in music while you are cruising down the trail.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
need to hear around me

cannot understand why anyone would want to reduce their HEARING

Absolutely. Never compromise situational awareness. Me, I don't use ear buds. I know it so well, the music, despite a very low volume that I hear all else easily, simply gets me into the rhythm.

Jilly, what do you hum?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Jilly, what do you hum?

Usually whatever ear worm started that morning. Or if I am having rhythm problems....the skaters waltz....Sometimes I'll hear something out of someones helmet on the ride up too.

Like a few others I like to hear nature, that snowboarder crunching behind me and the snowmobile coming at me!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a definite benefit of wearing a helmet is the ear bud is no longer directly in your ear so it's more background music than anything so you can hear it all.
Yes, the best of both worlds. Skiing with music is like skiing with your own soundtrack. I do't too often but when I do it is usually something that is fun and has a good beat. Two very different bands that come to mind that I enjoy...AC/DC and The Beastie Boys.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They used to blast a lot of punk and new wave through the PA at the USSA Freestyle meets late 70s and early 80s so that stuff works for me. I also like hair bands, lighter metal up to the more mainstream Metallica stuff, GnR, and classic rock. That said, I only blast it in the car on the way up the mountain. When I'm actually dancing with the terrain I prefer to listen to nature, the sound my skis and edges make, and especially the sound of that snowboarder that is about to blast me from behind so I can take evasive action.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I don't like to listen to music while skiing, but I don't begrudge others doing it. However I object GREATLY to the new practice around here of carrying a Bluetooth speaker setup in the backpack and playing music for all to hear from it. I was ready to commit violence (I didn't) this past season when the folks behind me on a long chair ride played about 30 seconds of each song and then went on to the next all the way up the hill. It is the height of insensitivity to force your juvenile (or sophisticated, but you don't hear that ever) musical taste on everyone else on the hill.

Rant over.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whatever music they are playing for the slopestyle competition over in the terrain park?

As someone who is hearing impaired to begin with, I can't handle anything that further interferes with my ability to hear what is going on around me. even if I can shut it off quickly.

That said, for some reason anytime I am doing quick SL like turns, I spontaneously hear the opening guitar lick to "Eye of the Tiger" in my head. Don't know why. I'm not thinking about and POOF there it is, with the turns. Take a moment and hear it in your own head . . . perfect rhythm for quick turns isn't it? I just think its hilarious that the turns bring on the music.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't like to listen to music while skiing, but I don't begrudge others doing it. However I object GREATLY to the new practice around here of carrying a Bluetooth speaker setup in the backpack and playing music for all to hear from it. I was ready to commit violence (I didn't) this past season when the folks behind me on a long chair ride played about 30 seconds of each song and then went on to the next all the way up the hill. It is the height of insensitivity to force your juvenile (or sophisticated, but you don't hear that ever) musical taste on everyone else on the hill.

Rant over.
Can't argue with you there.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wouldn't dream of skiing w/o the option of music. I use chips by OutdoorTech......... I'm a little anal about sound and easily off and on w/ a gloved ear tap............. Music is on when the surroundings are mellow and uncrowded......... music is off when skiing in crowds, on chair, or potentially hazardous zones w/ a group so we can monitor each other for safety.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Rant over.

Rant back on here. The one time Judge Schmales was in the right the entire movie..

Full disclosure... When Astaltunes (first sports walkman device) came out it was REALLY expensive, like $300 in 1970s dollars. I rocked a Bone Fone which was a radio with speakers that you wore like a scarf. I'm sure everyone over 50 will remember them. They weren't that loud though. The premise was the speakers sat on you clavicles and rocked your bones more. But, others on the lift could definitely hear it. Think I only actually wore it skiing a couple times. Wasn't all it was hyped up to be hahaha..

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Rant back on here. The one time Judge Schmales was in the right the entire movie..

Full disclosure... When Astaltunes (first sports walkman device) came out it was REALLY expensive, like $300 in 1970s dollars. I rocked a Bone Fone which was a radio with speakers that you wore like a scarf. I'm sure everyone over 50 will remember them. They weren't that loud though. The premise was the speakers sat on you clavicles and rocked your bones more. But, others on the lift could definitely hear it. Think I only actually wore it skiing a couple times. Wasn't all it was hyped up to be hahaha..
You mean, it DIDN'T "revolutionize the way we listen to stereo music"????
Screen%20Shot%202013-09-09%20at%2012.35.06%20PM.png

That is almost impossible to imagine . . .

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

Rant over.

Ditto. I like to think i don't listen to crap music and am pretty picky as to what comes out of my earbuds. However, that said my taste isn't someone else's and vice versa so that's why there are headphones. I don't mind it when there's music on the loudspeaker at the base of the lift but i think it's rude to blast music on your person via speaker on the chair or when you are skiing down the trail as its usually not good stuff either.

Last edited:

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Since I patrol I normally don't listen to music while skiing.....however....once in a while when I take of the jacket I'll do a run or 2 to a couple of old favorites.
1) the finest ski song I know is Fantasy by Earth Wind and Fire. It makes me smile all the way down.
2) Another big favorite...I feel the Earth Move by Carole King
What can I say I'm old.

Sponsor

Staff online