Best MtBike Trail apps

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tricia, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:24 PM.

1. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

This was posted a while back, and while I haven't paid attention to phone apps for trails very much, I was riding with a friend at Tahoe City XC Trails today and was encouraged to download Trailforks.

I downloaded it while we were in the parking lot and really liked some of the features that helped us find specific trails while we were out riding.

I only found this post by @RachelV when I got back and was doing a search for trailforks.
    I'll probably download the mtb project app to see which one suits our needs best.

Anyone have any experience using both?

Tony S likes this.
  2. luliski

luliski Out on the slopes Skier

I use Mtb Project at home to find trails-there's lots of descriptive information on there. I tried to use it once when I was riding and confused about the trails, and I had trouble with it. Maybe I need more practice navigating the app. At me bike shop they recommended Trailforks because it's easy to see your current location on the trail. Maybe Mtb Project has that feature but it's not as easy to find.

3. ZionPow

ZionPow Getting off the lift Skier

I have been using MTB Project and really like it. I find it easy to locate my position on the maps. My Bro-in-law prefer trailforks so when we ride new trails together, we use both!

RachelV likes this.
  4. RachelV

RachelV Hi. Skier

There are definitely differences in trail coverage. There are some areas that we have covered super well and some where we're still missing a few trails, and vice versa. If anyone here is out riding somewhere where we're missing some trails, I would love it you could point me at your Strava / Garmin Connect / whatever or just send me GPS tracks and I will happily add the lines to MTB Project. Or, I could give you a quick rundown on how to add them to the site yourself, if you're the kind of person who likes owning things on the internet (trails show up as being owned by the person that added them to the site, whereas if I add them they'll show up being owned by "MTB Project Staff").

Tricia likes this.
  5. RachelV

RachelV Hi. Skier

Can you be a little more specific about what's confusing you? Is there a certain point where you expect to be able to see your location but can't? Are you able to find the right trail in the app successfully?

Or, if there's a specific screen / action on the TrailForks app that you think is particularly clear, I'd love it if you could post a screenshot or just describe how you get there.

I love getting this kind of input from people that use our apps, so everyone please send any and all feedback my way! Just be nice. ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 6:43 AM
    luliski and Tricia like this.

6. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

@Wending

(https://wendingmaps.com)

What's your cut? ;)

7. luliski

luliski Out on the slopes Skier

As soon as I can get on my bike again, I'll try using the MTB Project app again.

RachelV likes this.
  8. RachelV

RachelV Hi. Skier

These are really really great maps. If @Wending is interested what we usually do in cases like this is link off to her site from all the relevant trails, and we have paid to use content from some small guidebook authors / local experts as well. Our coverage in the greater Portland area definitely looks like it could use some work. PM me an email if she's interested and I would love put her in touch with the trail content team here to work something out!