• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best mid layer for really cold days

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Patagonia Capilene Air is so warm and so comfortable. I bought a second one on sale after receiving one as a gift. I added a Patagonia R1 crew, with an Arcteryx AtomLT hoody under a shell for very cold weather (0 degrees last week). I wore one hood under my helmet and one hood over.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
After success with the Saxx Thermoflyte boxers, I decided to try the Saxx 1/2 zip pullover mid-layer. It's the best mid-layer I've ever used and I now own 4 of them. Reasonably priced for $30 at Amazon. The Themoflyte fleece is the key. Perfect amount of heft and stretchiness that I want in my mid-layer.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I have MEC's version of the micro puff, used it last weekend when it was -20. Breathbility isn't good on those, true, but not really a concern on really cold days IMO because if you are hot enough to sweat you should unzip your shell a bit, which I have done and it worked fine.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
As a Canadian, I know about fighting the cold so naturally I look to Australia when looking for a heated shirt solution:
https://www.avade.com.au/products.html

I find the heated shirt's poly material kinda clammy against the skin with the heat turned off so I wear it as a mid layer ontop of my normal light merino wool base layer. Heating elements are on the upper back and upper chest, heat setting button on the wrist, works great.

At $235 Cdn to my door it is a bit pricier than some but has a lithium polymer battery which is supposed to be more durable and rugged than lithium-ion so the battery can use a smaller, lighter case.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last year I discovered LL Bean's Down Sweater. It's the most amazing piece of outerwear I have ever had. It weighs nearly nothing, really don't know it is under the jacket. It is very warm while skiing in very cold (-10) snow and wind yet I don't overheat when it is near freezing. It has replaced my many fleece and wool sweaters. The technology is to underlayers what is happening with new skis. Here is a link to them: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/122...ttrValue_0=Night&searchTerm=mens down sweater

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I cannot tolerate any wool. I have a thick poly base layer from Canadian Tire (eh?), a fleece with fuzzy poly on the inside and a down vest that I wear under my (under-)insulated ski patrol jacket when it's really cold. It gets cold in Sudbury ON Canada. However, I do feel like the kid in "A Christmas Story". I covets me a down sweater!

On thing to think about is make sure whatever extra layer you put on does not circumvent the breathability of the other layers you are wearing.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Last year I discovered LL Bean's Down Sweater. It's the most amazing piece of outerwear I have ever had. It weighs nearly nothing, really don't know it is under the jacket. It is very warm while skiing in very cold (-10) snow and wind yet I don't overheat when it is near freezing. It has replaced my many fleece and wool sweaters. The technology is to underlayers what is happening with new skis. Here is a link to them: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/122731?page=men-s-ultralight-850-down-sweater&bc=&feat=mens down sweater-SR0&csp=a&attrValue_0=Night&searchTerm=mens down sweater

While that might be warm, it can still get wet from sweat and stop working. Their tech says it just takes 50% longer for it to be too wet to work. I've tried down and I just sweat too much even on the coldest days for it to be effective.

None of this is an issue with some of the newer man made materials.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
While that might be warm, it can still get wet from sweat and stop working. Their tech says it just takes 50% longer for it to be too wet to work. I've tried down and I just sweat too much even on the coldest days for it to be effective.

None of this is an issue with some of the newer man made materials.
By coldest days, do you mean below -20 F without the windchill?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
By coldest days, do you mean below -20 F without the windchill?

-17F is the coldest I can remember skiing. However, put my fat ass on a bump run regardless of temp and I will work up a sweat. My feet and hands might be cold, but my core heats up and down stops working if wet.