• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best mid layer for really cold days

bbm

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This weekend is looking to be very cold in the northeast, especially Sunday morning (-10F). I'm trying to decide on optimal layering strategies to stay warm.

I've got the merino baselayer and outer shell but am trying to decide between different midlayer options.

Options are an LLBean fleece (somewhat bulky), a moderately heavy wool sweater, or a Micro Puff.

The Micro Puff wins on warmth/weight ratio but I normally avoid it as a midlayer because it isn't very breathable. I'm wondering if this would be less of an issue on a really cold day though, and that the micro would be my best choice for Sunday morning when we are in the solidly negative temps. I figure I can switch to the wool sweater or similar once it warms up a bit.

Anyone have experience with using a micro puff (or similar minimally breathable puff) as a midlayer in really cold temps? Any issues due to the lack of breathability, or is it my best bet midlayer when it's really cold?

I could also go wool sweater plus micro puff (or wool plus fleece), but not sure if this would end up being too warm.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I have & use the Micropuff as my cold weather midlayer with a Smartwool merino base layer. I use that combo under my untracked shell. Generally when it’s that cold I’m not hiking or skiing in conditions that I really sweat heavily. If I need something more breathable I’ll grab the nano air. Most days I just use a Spyder hybrid vest or pullover. But we are all very different so your results many vary.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This weekend is looking to be very cold in the northeast, especially Sunday morning (-10F). I'm trying to decide on optimal layering strategies to stay warm.

I've got the merino baselayer and outer shell but am trying to decide between different midlayer options.

Options are an LLBean fleece (somewhat bulky), a moderately heavy wool sweater, or a Micro Puff.

The Micro Puff wins on warmth/weight ratio but I normally avoid it as a midlayer because it isn't very breathable. I'm wondering if this would be less of an issue on a really cold day though, and that the micro would be my best choice for Sunday morning when we are in the solidly negative temps. I figure I can switch to the wool sweater or similar once it warms up a bit.

Anyone have experience with using a micro puff (or similar minimally breathable puff) as a midlayer in really cold temps? Any issues due to the lack of breathability, or is it my best bet midlayer when it's really cold?

I could also go wool sweater plus micro puff (or wool plus fleece), but not sure if this would end up being too warm.

This: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-ascendant-hoody-250099?cat=4

No more sweating under the shell.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard to beat a heavy-ish, loose-weave wool sweater when your really need to layer up. Gives warmth when needed, but breathability is near infinity when you're working hard.

Damp does not equal warm.

Plus, retro!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fleece top for me. I never use a mid base under my shell ski pants.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Quebec skier - my go to's on that kind of day, which sounds like tomorrow!!

Top - base layer, (Helly Hanson), Salomon - Motomesh 1/4 zip, Eddie Bauer down sweater, Avalanche ski jacket (insulated)
Head - Buff neck warmer with wind stopper, helmet (all vents closed) and facesaver mask (Utah company, wonderful)
Bottom - heavy polar fleece base layer, Avalanche ski pants (insulated)
Boot - ski socks and boot heaters. Maybe the boot gloves too.
Hands - downfilled gloves or the mitts. Or electric heated mitts.

Base layers I used are not available in the states as they come from Mark's Work Wearhouse. But I'm sure there is something similar. They are not from a ski related company, but from a store that deals in construction industry clothing. Avalanche makes heavy insulated clothing. The jacket I think has 200gm of insulation. Super warm.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bring it all. That's what layering is all about. I go synthetic base layer, wool shirt, down sweater, shell in most conditions. If its cold I'll add a thin or thick fleece over the down. And if its windy I have a windstopper layer I can add as well. All of that will be in my boot bag this weekend.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wear a merino base, a light fleece and a down puffy under my shell on cold days. colder and I'll add a fleece vest.

You can have more than 3 layers no?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Clemson

Putting on skis
Skier
Black Diamond First light is my "go to" cold day mid layer. The PrimaLoft® Silver Insulation breathes , as does the Schoeller fabric, only a 180 Icebreaker merino beneath that, and NorthFace Freethinker to top it all off. It is pretty rare that even in the subzero weather that I don't have at least 2 of the 4 heat dumps unzipped.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Under my shell I go with a Eddie Bauer down sweater on the cold days it seems to do the job and not be too bulky.

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
TLDR; puffy is not breathable enough, and consider switching up the base layer as well

I have been using my ancient Ibex merino wool pullover and augmenting on really cold days with an EB 700 weight puffy vest or jacket. This goes over a 220 weight merino wool base. It doesn’t breathe well, so if I hit the woods or have to boot it someplace I can get sweaty.

Yesterday, which was about 10 degrees and windy, I tried out some new gear and was very happy. Patagonia capilene air base, R1 techface hoody, and Ascencionist shell. It worked really well, and I felt comfortable and dry the whole day. The key was the capilene air base layer I think, which is very warm and breathable and very comfortable. I carried the puffy jacket all day in my pack but never felt compelled to put it on.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Pretty hard for other to tell whats best for you. Do you run hot or cold? Ski in a dry or damp place? For me, on a really cold day - merino base, stio windshirt (synthetic flannel, but not fuzzy), Arcteryx cerium lt hoody and a shell. Shell has pitzips so can dump heat if needed (say, hiking for some turns). IME, if my head and hands are warm, I’m usually good with this setup to minus F temps. <- I’ve learned to forget about my feet. Too many cold days in a duck blind/waders I guess

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online