Best inbounds/freeride backpack?

Discussion in 'Hardgoods: Skis, Bindings, Poles, and More' started by RikkiBobbi, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Poolskier Vinny

Poolskier Vinny Red Bull Athlete Wannabe Skier

See my post#5 above. I have the orange/blue one... wife has the black/yellow one. Excellent packs..

NESkiBum likes this.
  2. fullStack

fullStack Rad. Skier

I have an oldish Nirvana 25 and use it for liftserved and sidecountry. Love it.
    Wife has a Kode 22 and loves it too.
    Hard to argue with a BCA either though - I would just get the one that fits the best and not waste another thought about, it they are all good.

3. Davec1

Davec1 Booting up Skier

I use the same Dakine Heli-pack 12l as @MattSmith and find it a really good size for inbound. It's deceptive in what it can hold and is comfortable throughout the whole day.

The bladder tube doesn't freeze due to the sleeve in the shoulder strap. I like that it's zipped away and not bouncing around as I move. I use the ski carry multiple times per day, it's diagonal and quick to get on and off.

I really liked the Liftrider concept and shape but the lack of ski carry was the only thing that stopped me purchasing it. I contacted the founder, asking if it was a consideration and was told that they surveyed the first 100 Kickstarter pledges and very few had any interest in ski carry function so they wont look into it.

4. Alexzn

Alexzn Ski Squaw Skier

Realistically, if you ride in the resort, there is no need to carry a backpack. The downsides far outweigh the convenience. This is why most packs are designed for side/backcountry. A pack in the resort is more of a style statement.

Tom K., Mike Rogers and Philpug like this.
  5. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

The Liftrider is a pretty good concept. Like most packs it will do 8 out of 10 things well..you just have to decide if these are the 8 things you are looking for.

6. ZionPow

ZionPow Getting off the lift Skier

Work pack is Mammut Pro Protection 30L avy air bag pack
    Personal pack is Dakine Pro II

Both are very comfortable and functional for their intended purpose. The Mammut seems very well constructed and durable.

7. Wade

Wade Getting off the lift Skier

I think that may be true if you’re not planning to hike, or at least not planning to hike very far.

If I’m hiking something that is going to take me more than 10 or 15 minutes, I prefer to take a small pack with a ski carry that also gives me somewhere to stash layers, helmet, gloves etc while I’m hiking.

I’ll also wear a small pack occasionally if I’m skiing with my kids and the weather looks changeable so that I can get them into or out of extra layers as needed.

I prefer not to wear a pack when I ski, but when I do wear one, it sure as hell has nothing to do with making a “style statement”.

tball and markojp like this.
  8. markojp

markojp mtn rep for the gear on my feet Industry Insider Instructor

Years ago at Whistler, we got 'called out' for wearing packs inbounds. We were doing a warm up lap before heading back to the musical bumps (pre-lift served) to skin laps for the day. No fashion involved. Lately, big day inbounds tree skiing. Small pack with shovel and probe, beacon on body.. tree wells. No fashion involved. Dads skiing with kids as mentioned above on a large mountain. No fashion involved. Race coach heading up the hill with gear for the day. No fashion involved. Assuming our needs and narratives are all the same is just 'epic'. Sorry for the snark, but we all need to keep a look out for possibilities beyond our own navels.

:beercheer:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Analisa and tball like this.
  9. raytseng

raytseng Out on the slopes Skier

A lot of backpack wearers are the I don't want to pay $20 for food and drink and $8 for a locker.

If resort food and bev and lockers were significantly dropped in price and perhaps they brought water coolers to the most popular liftlines then I estimate that would eliminate about 50% of the backpacks.

10. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

Not to mention just saving time from standing in line battling the crowds instead of skiing. Our very 1st visit to Vail we lost about an hour in the 1st day getting lunch. Funny thing was our 8 yo at the time was the 1st to speak up and say we should just bring our lunch. That night we hit the super Walmart, bought foot long subs, cut them in smaller sections, individually wrapped each piece, carry them in our packs and have never bought lunch out there again in many trips. We just eat on the lift or in most cases grap a picnic table for a few minutes somewhere on the mountain.

11. river-z

river-z searching for seasons Skier

Years ago when I wanted to bring along water, extra layers and lunch for resort skiing I got a Dakine Heli Pack 12L. It worked great and still works great. I've been pleased by how much room there is.

Strange but true - I use the pack way more now for carrying my fly-fishing stuff on day hikes to mountain lakes and streams. The pouch + straps work perfectly for securing my rod case, sandals, net, water bottle, and everything else.

So it was definitely one of the better gear purchases I've made.

12. ella_g

ella_g Getting off the lift Skier

@Alexzn if you're skiing with 3 kids having pack can make the difference between a fun day and a super annoying day .... I have a totally not stylish camelbak kicker that fits (really stuffed in there) hand warmers, a spare buff, spare mittens, a bunch of snacks, a back up phone charger and water. Even though my kids ski with a water bottle in their pockets and a snack, it's great to have all that stuff & extras handy and not have to go inside except for lunch ... going inside is just a killer when someone starts to take off their layers etc etc. I have a bigger pack too when we're hiking or bring lunch, but even that little one is super helpful. Our bigger pack is an old aqua patagonia climbing pack, it is aqua and clashes really badly with my two tone green puffy ... just saying, we are functional but not at all looking good with our backpack situation.

13. Twelveish

Twelveish Booting up Skier

Helpful thread. Im headed to Utah with my kids for their first western trip in a few weeks and for two of the days it will be the three of us all day together. I plan to wear a pack for water, snacks etc to maximize the ski time. Not sure if it’s totally necessary but we will find out. Don’t care if someone thinks I’m making a fashion statement, although maybe I’ll leave the orange pants at home.

14. Freddo Bumps

Freddo Bumps Booting up Skier

15. Thread Starter
    TS
    RikkiBobbi

RikkiBobbi Booting up Skier

Later in the season now....anyone who has an osprey kamber 22 have any regrets?

16. EBG18T

EBG18T Eric Skier

Check if EMS has any in stock right now. They are doing 50% off Osprey this weekend.

17. AlpsSkidad

AlpsSkidad Getting off the lift Skier

I swear by the Ortovox Freeride series, mine is the 24, but there are many sizes... It's a solidly built pack.( I don't have the AV version)
    https://www.ortovox.com/us/shop/backpacks/freeride/
    I'm mostly the lunch/snacks/kids stuff/hydration user. Definitely not for fashion, as I'd rathe not wear a pack when I am skiing.

18. ARL67

ARL67 Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life Skier

^^^ My pal has the Freeride 24 as well, and it is a great pack. When on our annual trip I let him carry all my crap too and he never complains !

AlpsSkidad likes this.