• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Is Jackson Hole underrated in the groomer category? Although I didn't ski a lot of groomers when I was there for a few days this winter, the ones I did ski seemed long, wide & consistent.
Targhee had nice grooming (snow quality) as well.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
If I was going to recommend somewhere to take a vacation that revolved around skiing groomers it would probably be park city. Between deer valley and pcmr/the canyons there's got to be hundreds of miles of groomers. Stay somewhere on the bus line and you are 5 min from the base of all 3.

As for best quality grooming of places I've skied

Beaver creek
Northstar
Aspen highlands
Deer valley
Big sky
Vail

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Confession time: I actually have skied both W/B and BeaverC back in my non-groom days, but it was at least 25 years ago. BC was nice and posh then, sure it's even more so now, while W/B was base rain with pure bliss up top (top 5 powder run of my life off Peak chair), but that was then, this is now. Not sure I want to spend 15-20% of my limited time just sitting in a chair/gondola getting high enough for the goods, and my eyes rule out low viz/fog skiing, but I'm not ruling it out. Crimeny, Sun Peaks is more than a 2,000 mile drive! That's right out!

Seems like Utah/Idaho is the logical choice, but since I am getting a belated mid-life crisis sporty SUV crossover. A three day drive to Beaver might be fun ...... no speeding tickets in Nevada, right?

For accessing the B.C. interior from southern California there are direct flights in winter from LAX to Kelowna B.C. But if you are considering driving to Whistler instead of flying then you need to know that driving from Seattle to Sun Peaks is only an hour longer than driving to Whistler. It is a better drive and when you get to Sun Peaks you find out that compared to Whistler, Sun Peaks is less expensive, less crowded, has better quality snow and a ton of ski in/out accommodation.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
if you do that 2k drive try to time the Hope to Merritt for daylight. It is often worse than the frequently mentioned Rodgers Pass.

Tends to be more difficult heading west
In February after a day of skiing by the time your get to the worst section its dark, your headlights are caked with muck, and time to head down the big hill to Hope, Lovely transition from snow, compact snow, ice, then rain on ice, topped with plenty of fog.
The traffic around you will still maintain 130-140 km hr. It can be an exciting ride.

no speeding tickets in Nevada ? not so sure about that, at least one state trooper i met didn't get the memo.

in general if your are thinking of Whistler in Feb
If its raining there then it will also be impacting all the other resorts in BC, as far as Kicking Horse - most of our hills have low bases and there often is not really a huge difference in temps until you cross the Selkirks (just east of Revestoke)

our weather patterns always flow west to east,
normally fronts if moving are aproximately 4-8hr later in the Okanogan 8-10 in Revelstoke 10-12 in Kicking Horse
about the same as driving there (very slowly)
generally coast always gets most of the snow, the Okanogan is in a rain shadow until Revelstoke adjacent the Selkirks then another rain shadow in the lee of the Selkirks extends into the Rockies,
all our major hills offer good skiing and reasonable grooming and are often can be less expensive than most stateside.,

if that's any help

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you like non-stop continous vertical, Sun Valley has 3100’ of it, and the grooming is superb. That said, I am totally happy with 1500’ runs, and I have really liked places like Brundage, and Schweitzer (2400’ vertical on the Outback) is another since you’re considering Idaho.

Snowbasin has nice long groomer runs from John Paul and Strawberry, whereas the Needles terrain is divided into two different drainage basins and so the runs are in smaller terrain pods. Busy days the groomers will get skied out in a hurry, but mid-week can be amazing, whether fresh snow or freshly groomed. Sun Peaks, as Dano pointed out, has excellent grooming, nice dry snow and limited traffic given the amount of terrain. And it is indeed only about an hour longer drive from Seattle than is Whistler.

Whistler has great groomers and grooming, but it can get skied out in a hurry. While I like Whistler a lot, both for the quantity and quality of groomers but also for the quantity and quality of off-piste skiing, FWIW at the Gathering there was one day where the fog was extra foggy. At 7th Heaven visibility was decent, then we were feeling our way by Braille down the mid elevations, it was hard to even see where the bottom of the Solar Coaster lift was when skiing right past it, about the worst fog I’ve ever been in. It cleared up at the lower 1/3 to the base.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
in general if your are thinking of Whistler in Feb
If its raining there then it will also be impacting all the other resorts in BC, as far as Kicking Horse - most of our hills have low bases and there often is not really a huge difference in temps until you cross the Selkirks (just east of Revestoke)

If you are saying that if it is raining at Whistler then it will be raining or wet snow in the B.C. interior, I have to disagree as sometimes the coastal storms don't even make it to the interior. The southern B.C. resorts like Fernie and Red that also have fairly low elevation along with the very low elevation parts of Revelstoke are susceptible to rain at times but more northerly resorts like Sun Peaks and Silver Star are way, way less likely to experience rain.

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought that 2,000 mile 24 hour drive to Sun Peaks that Mapquest popped up with smelled funny - more like 1100 mies and 17 hours. Looks interesting!

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
HeyheyheyheyHEY! I'm fine with the move to Gen. Resort discussion, but Colorado?? Sun Valley? Snowbasin? Whistler/Blackcoumb? Sun Peaks??????

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
If I was going to recommend somewhere to take a vacation that revolved around skiing groomers it would probably be park city. Between deer valley and pcmr/the canyons there's got to be hundreds of miles of groomers. Stay somewhere on the bus line and you are 5 min from the base of all 3.

As for best quality grooming of places I've skied

Beaver creek
Northstar
Aspen highlands
Deer valley
Big sky
Vail

Yes. I think Deer Valley hits all the marks for all I know. Great groomers of all types: long mellow ones on Flagstaff, steeper on Bald mountain. Great, fast lifts. Get out, ski down and up again. You get a lot of vert. I have never found any issues in their perfectly manicured runs.

Little dog and good weather. Closer to you. And other areas in PC as well to diversify.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
The best grooming you will ever see is at Nubs Nob.
Groomed then regroomed at 4:30-6:00 PM for night skiing.
Neither Deer Valley nor Beaver Creek offers that.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Lot's of good data coming in, but let's drill down a little deeper: are all the groomed runs hit every night, or only every second or even third night? Is there a lot of variation in individual staff groomer's skill/finished product or does management maintain a high overall standard? On nights with soft snow conditions is the result lots of ridges/steps between passes or do the groomers take the extra time to even those traps out? How many black diamond runs are groomed? Do these BD runs require winches for the cats to overcome the gradient?

Some very good questions . . . I'll weigh in on Big Sky, because I have decent familiarity with it:

Overall - Good quality grooming - smooth corduroy, no ridges/dropoffs, generally full trail width (except when intentionally leaving a portion ungroomed)
Greens - generally groomed every night all over mountain
Blues - Some are routinely groomed daily; others once every few days. My issue here is timing - understand leaving them ungroomed after a snowfall, but often left too long when all chunked up
Blacks - only a couple are groomed, and infrequently, which fundamentally seems fine to me.

LIke I imagine happens most places, sometimes the conditions simply don't allow for a particularly good groom or conditions mess up what would have been a good groom. Credit this year given the pretty generous snowfall for leaving powder/quasi-powder around a bit longer (at least on the days I happened to be there, which was about 8).

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is Jackson Hole underrated in the groomer category?

I would say that it is...probably for the same reason that Whistler is...

Gros Ventre and Sundance are fantastic runs with almost 3000 feet of vertical. The après Vous area also has a number of nicely groomed runs. There is plenty of groomed terrain at JH to make a worthwhile trip. However, there are better places. (I agree about GT, lots of great grooming there on what is usually GREAT snow. Only quibble is the runs are relatively short.)

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
I'd like to add Telluride to the conversation. While it is a bit out of the way an off of the beaten path, I found that they sure did an impressive job grooming their runs when I skied there in April this season.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Some very good questions . . . I'll weigh in on Big Sky, because I have decent familiarity with it:

Overall - Good quality grooming - smooth corduroy, no ridges/dropoffs, generally full trail width (except when intentionally leaving a portion ungroomed)
Greens - generally groomed every night all over mountain
Blues - Some are routinely groomed daily; others once every few days. My issue here is timing - understand leaving them ungroomed after a snowfall, but often left too long when all chunked up
Blacks - only a couple are groomed, and infrequently, which fundamentally seems fine to me.

LIke I imagine happens most places, sometimes the conditions simply don't allow for a particularly good groom or conditions mess up what would have been a good groom. Credit this year given the pretty generous snowfall for leaving powder/quasi-powder around a bit longer (at least on the days I happened to be there, which was about 8).

Big Sky is a Boyne USA resort. Boyne invented machine grooming in Michigan. They know snow and even manufacture snowmaking equipment.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The majors all do a pretty good job with grooming anymore. Some will do better than others based off of staff, equipment, recent snow and all the other variables. Would recommend that you take a look at daily grooming reports for the pertinent details, of who did what to whom, on a given night.

Park City got left out it would seem. A lot of groomers, done regularly by a very big fleet of machines. Easy access as you know, and a pretty good ski town. It is not AltaBird or SB but it friggin' huge, and the non skiing hours offer more variety. Again, look at the daily grooming reports, for a groomer zoomer they are your friend.

Personal fav for a groomers based trip has to be Sun Valley. Like all ski areas look to your exposure to time when you ski something, always best when the sun has been on it for a while. They do amazing work with the snow they get and make, and they make a lot of it. Was told that they use a lot of local farmers for the grooming crew which makes good sense; look at modern farm equipment and you will see where a lot of grooming technology comes from. You can fly there without too much hassle, and you really don't need a car there. As good a variety of steep well groomed runs as you will find anywhere. Perhaps not one of the cool places to be right now, but still one of the best.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Planning a mid-season road trip from CA to somewhere in the Rockies for next season, most likely Feb/March, and would like to hear from the collective which resort has the best grooming (don't laugh; sooner or later we all start asking this question if we wish to keep skiing right up to the end:D). I'm guessing the big boys (Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge, etc.) are all in the mix but I'm sure there's other contenders as well. All input appreciated, especially notable quirks, artistic touches, groomer staff competency and skill, up to date grooming equipment, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Snowmass. No Crowds.

The end

Sponsor

Staff online