• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I have a problem with my goggles not charging. They are over 2 years old but I decided to call them anyway. They told me to send them in and they would take a look at them to see if they can be fixed. If not they will sell me a new pair of frames at a discounted price.
You can’t beat that kind of customer service

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
can someone compared these to a pair of smith phenoms or Smith IO-x S ?

interested but I like asain fit goggles better because they do not push on my nose.

Also how are the lens?

Juliestephen

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Nowadays goggles features battery-powered fans to move air and defog the goggles. This feature will escape googles from fogging.I forgot the Brand.Once I remember I come up with the brand.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Smith makes the Turbo Fan, it's been since since the 80's. Pricey and I understand heavy. When it works the Abom Heet is the perfect goggle. We just need longer working batteries.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
There was a goghle company in the 80's called Vents. I had a pair and I don't think they ever fogged unless I face planted in powder an clogged the vents with snow.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I had some great OTG goggles for a while, single lens, with large air slits on each side, that never fogged. Unfortunately they took a severe hit, literally, when their owner slammed into a tree. The "replacement" from the same manufacturer now has these damnable double lenses that humid air gets between them and then freezes in cold weather. You can't reach it to scrape, the goggles become instantly useless, usually when you're far from the lodge. I have yet to find a double lensed goggle that I don't need to replace the lens every season because of this issue. I started buying spare lenses and easy change goggle frames, but this is a pricey option. I've got two pair of Smith goggles, each with like four spare lenses in my locker. The Abom Heet, if they have this issue of air getting between the lenses, remove it as an issue with their heating system. I think if they created swappable batteries that you could pack spares they'd be perfect.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I had some great OTG goggles for a while, single lens, with large air slits on each side, that never fogged. Unfortunately they took a severe hit, literally, when their owner slammed into a tree. The "replacement" from the same manufacturer now has these damnable double lenses that humid air gets between them and then freezes in cold weather. You can't reach it to scrape, the goggles become instantly useless, usually when you're far from the lodge. I have yet to find a double lensed goggle that I don't need to replace the lens every season because of this issue. I started buying spare lenses and easy change goggle frames, but this is a pricey option. I've got two pair of Smith goggles, each with like four spare lenses in my locker. The Abom Heet, if they have this issue of air getting between the lenses, remove it as an issue with their heating system. I think if they created swappable batteries that you could pack spares they'd be perfect.
That's weird, I've never had a double lens get moisture between them.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Nowadays goggles features battery-powered fans to move air and defog the goggles. This feature will escape googles from fogging.I forgot the Brand.Once I remember I come up with the brand.

I tried the Smith Turno fan goggles, and whilst they are better than vent goggles and anti fog coating lenses, they do not prevent me from fogging them up on humid days when I am skiing hard. Quite simply, the Abom Heets are the only goggles I have used that do prevent fogging....for me.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I tried the Smith Turno fan goggles, and whilst they are better than vent goggles and anti fog coating lenses, they do not prevent me from fogging them up on humid days when I am skiing hard. Quite simply, the Abom Heets are the only goggles I have used that do prevent fogging....for me.

these really seem awesome. I wonder why more companies are not doing something similar to heet.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
these really seem awesome. I wonder why more companies are not doing something similar to heet.
Abom developed and patented the technology. Would be interesting to see someone like Smith license their technology.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Smith makes the Turbo Fan, it's been since since the 80's. Pricey and I understand heavy. When it works the Abom Heet is the perfect goggle. We just need longer working batteries.
you need to call Abom customer service, I am almost positive you have a bad pair. My 3 year old pair of Abom one Goggles still make through the longest days without a problem.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Me, too.

Somehow, my goggles are always fogging when no one else has a problem. The Abom Heets address the issue.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Visited the headquarters of Abom Goggles today and my engineering colleague Vince O'Malley (CTO of Abom). Vince set me up with new Heet frames, new strap, and a quiver of lenses for further testing.

I've been an Abom Goggle tester for the past couple of years. Hands-down the best goggles for skiing. Heated lenses for fog-free operation all day long.

One set of lenses is the military grade, so I can take some small shrapnel shots to the face (about 700 fps) and protect my eyes. Very handy for dealing with the road-raging gun-toting ski commuters.

Vince is testing the resistance of the lens coating. This is carefully controlled to get the correct heating of the lens.
He also showed how they test the heating with a FLIR thermal camera and it easily shows how the lens is uniformly heated across the surface.
0114201153.jpg

Here is the test dummy. Moist air is injected through the slots in the face to fog up the goggles. Then press the Abom button and "presto!" the fog disappears.
0114201217.jpg

A shelf collection of older prototype goggles and work in progress.
0114201242_HDR.jpg

Busy workbench to test and inspect circuits, frames, lenses.
0114201243.jpg

Display showing cold-weather protection goggles, military, and snow-sport goggle models.
0114201256.jpg

Heet model "Gear of the Year" award display.
0114201256a.jpg

My own goggles with lens quiver.
0114201414.jpg

The new strap has just the right amount of sticky backing to hold it to the helmet, yet allow easy adjustment and lifting up off the helmet. I like the new strap.
0114201414a.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Visited the headquarters of Abom Goggles today and my engineering colleague Vince O'Malley (CTO of Abom). Vince set me up with new Heet frames, new strap, and a quiver of lenses for further testing.

I've been an Abom Goggle tester for the past couple of years. Hands-down the best goggles for skiing. Heated lenses for fog-free operation all day long.

One set of lenses is the military grade, so I can take some small shrapnel shots to the face (about 700 fps) and protect my eyes. Very handy for dealing with the road-raging gun-toting ski commuters.

Vince is testing the resistance of the lens coating. This is carefully controlled to get the correct heating of the lens.
He also showed how they test the heating with a FLIR thermal camera and it easily shows how the lens is uniformly heated across the surface.
View attachment 90055

Here is the test dummy. Moist air is injected through the slots in the face to fog up the goggles. Then press the Abom button and "presto!" the fog disappears.
View attachment 90056

A shelf collection of older prototype goggles and work in progress.
View attachment 90057

Busy workbench to test and inspect circuits, frames, lenses.
View attachment 90058

Display showing cold-weather protection goggles, military, and snow-sport goggle models.
View attachment 90059

Heet model "Gear of the Year" award display.
View attachment 90060

My own goggles with lens quiver.
View attachment 90061

The new strap has just the right amount of sticky backing to hold it to the helmet, yet allow easy adjustment and lifting up off the helmet. I like the new strap.
View attachment 90062

Please tell them they should use me as a tester. I seem to have the sweatiest face of any skier anywhere ever.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Please tell them they should use me as a tester. I seem to have the sweatiest face of any skier anywhere ever.

They already have the "sweatiest face" tester. He is a snowmobile rider. Wears a huge full helmet, super-insulated hot one-piece suit, facemask. When his sled gets stuck he has to dig it out and manhandle it out of the snow. Works up a huge sweat. If his goggles won't fog, nobody's will .....

SamR

Booting up
Skier
Hi I really appreciate the insight into these goggles, and just joined this site. I could also be a candidate for sweatiest face tester. Backcountry.com is selling the HEET for $169, with an extra rose lens for $77. I called them and asked if they were able to give a better deal for buying the goggles and a spare lens together, and the rep was able to price them as a combo for an additional savings.

I got the goggles today and they look very sturdy and are not bulky at all.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was "forced" to wear a facemask the last 3 times skiing due to COVID measures. The ABOM goggles did fog -- until I turned them on :)

I think this upcoming season when everyone is required to wear a mask, fogging is going to be a huge issue. Get some Abom HEET goggles.

0515201040a.jpg
0515200920a.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online