• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
@Sibhusky if you're really worried about it, you could also keep a USB battery charger in your locker ...
To plug into what? The charger is in my locker simply because I have plenty of chargers already at home and the box with the charger is in my locker. The room is lined with lockers. There's a plug twenty feet away at floor level with no surface other than the floor and right next to the exit door. Unlikely to leave my $279 goggles on the floor to get kicked. There's a guy adjacent to an outlet at the other end of the room, who I saw had run an extension cord into his locker. I doubt they will allow that to last. Fire hazard. No, they will have to be brought home to charge. I'd thought to bring them to my car, but apparently they stop charging if the temperature is below 35°. So, they'll have to be brought into the house.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@sibhusk
To plug into what? The charger is in my locker simply because I have plenty of chargers already at home and the box with the charger is in my locker. The room is lined with lockers. There's a plug twenty feet away at floor level with no surface other than the floor and right next to the exit door. Unlikely to leave my $279 goggles on the floor to get kicked. There's a guy adjacent to an outlet at the other end of the room, who I saw had run an extension cord into his locker. I doubt they will allow that to last. Fire hazard. No, they will have to be brought home to charge. I'd thought to bring them to my car, but apparently they stop charging if the temperature is below 35°. So, they'll have to be brought into the house.

Different thing. A battery charger is, well, an external battery that you can charge at home, then leave in your locker. I find they hold charge for a really long time, and you can get them in a variety of sizes. I have had very good experiences with Anker, though they're a bit pricy.

I'm not sure what size you would want and/or if it would continue to drain charge once the goggles are charged up.

Something like this (there are many sizes to choose from): https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Upgraded-Candy-Bar-High-Speed-Technology/dp/B06XS9RMWS/

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Oh, interesting thought. Especially at the price. Do you have this one? I noticed it's "newer model" is far pricier. I also read a lot of the 1 star reviews. This particular one might not help much, I'd just be bringing it home each time instead of the goggles.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh, interesting thought. Especially at the price. Do you have this one? I noticed it's "newer model" is far pricier. I also read a lot of the 1 star reviews. This particular one might not help much, I'd just be bringing it home each time instead of the goggles.

I don't have this exact one. I have several batteries like this and have settled on the Anker brand - like I said, high quality, though pricier than some. I still think that a pocket battery (some are pretty small) is much less annoying to cart around than a pair of goggles. You can also charge on the go (in your pocket on the lift, etc) if you really need to.

Anyway, just a thought, as charging is a concern. It's the best I can think of for your locker scenario. I don't know how much charge the goggles need - I can't imagine they're much of a hog compared to, say, a phone.

I do have this one - $20 and I've had it for years, though I've only used it intermittently. It's very small - you could put it in a jeans pocket. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X1Y7I2/

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
So, day two. I WILL have to charge these things every night, they were blinking the warning message from the get go today. That would mean I'd need two of those charger thingies otherwise the time of day I'm charging the goggles in the locker would be the same time of day I'd need to recharge the charger. The goggles were already $279, not planning on spending more money on multiple charger devices, I'll just have to bring them home every night. That being said, I limped through the day on the charge that was left.

It was snowing actively today and most of the time I could still clear the goggles by skiing.

I realized another "pro" today, you're allowed to WIPE the inner side of the goggle, unlike goggles that rely on coatings. Which means there is no coating and explained why they need more frequent defogging. But that's fine, there was never a pair of goggles I had the luxury of "not wiping" at some point. If you're far from a bad and you can't see, you're going to wipe them.

I expect I will still enjoy these goggles if I've identified all the gotchas.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I realized another "pro" today, you're allowed to WIPE the inner side of the goggle, unlike goggles that rely on coatings.

The anti-fog elements of a Smith goggle lens are also embedded in the lens and not a coating but they recommend daubing the lens if wet rather than wiping so as to reduce the chance of scratching the lens.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Isn't there an outlet in the locker for boot dryers?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well I bought the Smith goggles because of the nano etching, but not all of their models have that. The model I own with that leaks and the model that has the nice upper gasket didn't have the etching.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
But that's fine, there was never a pair of goggles I had the luxury of "not wiping" at some point. If you're far from a bad and you can't see, you're going to wipe them.

Agreed. When a salesdude tells me that I have to avoid wiping the lens while wet in order to preserve the anti-fog, I just stare at them. If my lenses are fogging that badly, it's also dumping enough that I can't ski without eye protection. Snow in the eyes hurts!

A pair of $20 battery chargers could work for you - swap one out every ski day. Yes, a slight pain, but I imagine you don't show up naked to the ski resort - I'm betting you at least carry a lunch, and that's bulkier than the battery.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm just going to carry them back and forth. Spend that money elsewhere. I don't leave my boots overnight (they've had pipes burst at least four times that I can remember in the locker area, why I don't know!), I just wasn't quite expecting this.

I could see some people having to recharge:

- heated boot insoles
- goggles
- phone
- heated mittens

You need a charging station set up for ski gear in your foyer or mud room. And if it's a family???

Plus putting boots on dryers, mittens and liners in dryers, maybe even pants and jackets.

This merges nicely with my theory about skiing not being more popular due to the hassle factor..

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm just going to carry them back and forth. Spend that money elsewhere. I don't leave my boots overnight (they've had pipes burst at least four times that I can remember in the locker area, why I don't know!), I just wasn't quite expecting this.

I could see some people having to recharge:

- heated boot insoles
- goggles
- phone
- heated mittens

You need a charging station set up for ski gear in your foyer or mud room. And if it's a family???

Plus putting boots on dryers, mittens and liners in dryers, maybe even pants and jackets.

This merges nicely with my theory about skiing not being more popular due to the hassle factor..

... Or just use the non-charging gear that skiers have been using for decades, if it's too much of a hassle.

To be honest, knowing that you're quite frugal, I'm surprised that you bought the goggles without fully vetting this part first.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I had Amazon bucks. Not enough to cover, but I'm hoping to get them replaced by some returns on other Christmas gifts. (Didn't fit and even more over priced.). Most of my "ridiculously priced" ski gear has been Christmas gifts. Like my rotobrush set.

I figured I'd get multiple days out of them, but apparently you really can't trust that. I'm going to try all day on the amber mode next. And then the big test will be a day that it is really dumping and I'm working hard. Will snow on the top edge be an issue? Will they be able to keep up?

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
Just ordered the Abom Heet’s from Amazon. The amber lens on my traditional googles developed moisture in between the front and back so I couldn’t get to it with a Kleenex. I hope the Abom’s work!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Another couple weeks of use. I'm using them on the amber setting. (After all, if I'm going to have to charge them every time, no point in having to turn them on repeatedly.) Generally, I won't turn them on until there is fogging and if I stop for a break, they get turned off on the ride up to the summit house. The "15% left" light has come on every single day, sometimes as early as the 3rd-4th run/lift ride. However, they have yet to run out of juice before I do. But, I have done no bell to bell days. I'm trying to be conscious of whether whatever started the fogging is still applicable or not so that I turn them off if it's colder or windier than it was. They seem to not fog as much in colder conditions.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just turn it on if I'm on a run and start to fog up (read: I stop in the middle of a bump run). Turn it off if I'm on the lift, because it usually clears by the time I get to the top. Nowhere near any battery issues so far, but I always charge between days.

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
I’ve been using my Abom Heet’s at Whistler for the past week. Last Friday was a snowy day and I left them on the “amber” setting. Either the face-plant in the powder or just the constant moisture from the snow caused the battery to die a little after lunch. Since then I have been using them on an “as needed” basis (granted it’s been sunny every day since) and the battery has not gone dead. I have found a push of the button will clear the foggy lenses within 20-30 seconds and then I just turn them off again.

So far I’m pleased.

I did pick up a scratch on one set of lenses that hurts my feelings a bit.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've given up on amber mode entirely, never once made it past lunch time with it. I'm using blue mode and if it clears fast and I'm not warm I turn it off in a few minutes. Otherwise, it goes the full seven minutes and I hope the fog doesn't return right away. I'm getting somewhat better results this way. On super cold days, of which we have had a lot, it seems to be less humid so the goggles MIGHT have a whole day without the warning flash.

Support never responded to my email and I just haven't had a chance to call them.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm still loving my Wind jackets. On cold days I wear a head scarf that bridges the gap between the glasses and helmet and it's perfect. I haven't worn my goggles in a couple months now. These have the prizm technology and make flat light totally skiable.

52911744_10156264100418014_2320682396099280896_n.jpg

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have had a set of Anon M.2's for a couple years, I lost a lens during a freak powder storm at Alta (must have fallen out of the car as we were frantically getting our gear stowed away before they closed the canyon road near the end of the day). It turns out buying a new lens was almost as expensive as buying a brand new set of goggles (with two lenses) soooo I bought the new Anon MFI's, and they're just great.

Having the ability to switch lenses via magnets is something I have come to really appreciate, and the new feature that has a facemask that attaches via magnets is a nice feature, though the mask it came with is awfully thin. Supposedly they have a thicker mask, but I've yet to find it in stock anywhere.

Sponsor

Staff online