• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Mainly based on this thread, I have decided to invest in pair of Abom Heet goggles for this season.

Two questions...

Does anyone know of any deals. Black Friday is coming up but no one seems to be discounting?

What is the best lens for low light quality? I usually go for about 36% VLT, but know that different tints can make a huge difference as well. I think the Clear (77%) and the Yellow (66%) might be too light for Arizona, so that leaves the Rose (42%) and the Grey (34%). The Grey seems right on the money, but does grey really help with flat light?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Mainly based on this thread, I have decided to invest in pair of Abom Heet goggles for this season.

Two questions...

Does anyone know of any deals. Black Friday is coming up but no one seems to be discounting?

What is the best lens for low light quality? I usually go for about 36% VLT, but know that different tints can make a huge difference as well. I think the Clear (77%) and the Yellow (66%) might be too light for Arizona, so that leaves the Rose (42%) and the Grey (34%). The Grey seems right on the money, but does grey really help with flat light?
I can't see crap with grey lenses even on bright sunny days. I'd choose the Rose.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
https://www.abom.com/collections/black-friday-sale

The listed lens color is often a cosmetic color, not what you'll see looking through the lens. It takes some research to find the color you'll look through. Abom seems especially obscure with their descriptions of the lenses. Hunting around yields, "The Lumen Yellow lens features a yellow base tint for maximum contrast. VLT=66% and is best in overcast to low light conditions."

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Ok so all of the Abom one goggles and lenses are now on sale for 40% off. Makes me think they may be introducing a replacement, and then I find this press release

Turns out Abom has developed an Augmented Reality version of its goggles with a heads up display along with infrared sensors. Unfortunately it also looks like military demand and contracts are driving this. Sure hope the develop a version for skiing as that would be super cool.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Abom has always made more money and sold more goggles to the military than to skiers and snowmobilers . The ABOM One, and the Heet models both were military goggles that "sort of" sold to skiers also. Augmented Reality goggles for skiing might be cool (have a ski map overlay, lift line statistics, slope angles, etc.....). But who is going to write all the software to present the real-time data?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Ok so all of the Abom one goggles and lenses are now on sale for 40% off. Makes me think they may be introducing a replacement, and then I find this press release

Turns out Abom has developed an Augmented Reality version of its goggles with a heads up display along with infrared sensors. Unfortunately it also looks like military demand and contracts are driving this. Sure hope the develop a version for skiing as that would be super cool.
1080P? Is it a camera & screen thing?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Perhaps I missed it but would guess ABOM ONE is in the process of being discontinued?

"The ABOM HEET has less weight, sits closer to the face and has a smaller profile than the ABOM ONE model allowing for a more versatile face fit for men and women and maximum helmet compatibility"

I can't find ABOM goggles locally, wondering how much of a fit difference between the ABOM HEET and ABOM ONE?

For comparison sake, the original Smith I/O fits me well, the Smith I/OX Turbo Fan ChromaPop although larger also work, and as expected no gaper gap with Smith Vantage helmet. All high-end Oakley's I've tried fit terrible, my eyes (line of vision) line up very close to the bottom edge, looks retarded, as if the goggles were sitting too high up on the bridge of my nose which they are not.

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
Every year I look at a thread like this and say I’m going to buy new goggles. Then I break out a photochromatic pair and say.. the ability to not have swap lens trumps all...

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
So
Perhaps I missed it but would guess ABOM ONE is in the process of being discontinued?

"The ABOM HEET has less weight, sits closer to the face and has a smaller profile than the ABOM ONE model allowing for a more versatile face fit for men and women and maximum helmet compatibility"

I can't find ABOM goggles locally, wondering how much of a fit difference between the ABOM HEET and ABOM ONE?

For comparison sake, the original Smith I/O fits me well, the Smith I/OX Turbo Fan ChromaPop although larger also work, and as expected no gaper gap with Smith Vantage helmet. All high-end Oakley's I've tried fit terrible, my eyes (line of vision) line up very close to the bottom edge, looks retarded, as if the goggles were sitting too high up on the bridge of my nose which they are not.
I have a Smith helmet that sits nicely with my Abom One. Let me know if this is helpful

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Every year I look at a thread like this and say I’m going to buy new goggles. Then I break out a photochromatic pair and say.. the ability to not have swap lens trumps all...
Agree that is a nice feature but I like to change my color as well as light filtration so opt for goggles where I can swap lenses quickly without much fuss. Abom does a nice job there.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I ended up buying a pair of the Abom Heet goggles from Campsaver. They had a 25% off coupon on Black Friday which brought the price down from $279 to $209. I went with the "Regular" fit and the Resolution Red lens, which has a VLT of 42%.

Without going into too much detail.......they fit my face without squashing nose, are helmet compatible without a gap, and do not fog up even in the worst of conditions.

I am a serial fogger, so these goggles are a revelation for me. The tint from the lens was great in falling snow, low light and the shadows of the trees, but I fear may not be adequate in the full glare of the Arizona sun. Campsaver has the lenses on sale, so I may get the Gold Rush lens with a VLT of 20% for brighter days.

My only complaint is that they have the style of generic $15 goggles from Big 5.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

See post #19 for a comparison. The ABOM ONE is huge
https://www.pugski.com/threads/best-goggles-ever-full-stop-nuff-said.8030/post-214062

Also, the ABOM Heet model has an optimized humidity sensor that saves battery power by only heating up when required.

The ABOM Heet model is the modern new one and the ONE model is older.

Here is my review from 2017 of the ABOM ONE goggle:

Attachments

• ABOM-Eval-Chewning.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 53

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Nice write up, but not quite my experience in terms of the battery lasting. I've tried both the always on and the blue burst methods. Both produce the amber warning signal by early afternoon. Now I've never actually run out of juice, but since these goggles fog far more easily than a standard goggle (no coating on the inside--you are allowed to wipe) the concern about running out of juice has me heading for the locker room once that starts. Some estimates of time left when the amber warning starts up would be a huge help. Maybe they would make it all day, but I think that's 20% left, which means I've used 80% in 3-4 hours. Which to me translates to just one more hour of use. I charge the things every night.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Big difference. The One was too big for me to wear. The Heet fits nicely.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Nice write up, but not quite my experience in terms of the battery lasting. I've tried both the always on and the blue burst methods. Both produce the amber warning signal by early afternoon. Now I've never actually run out of juice, but since these goggles fog far more easily than a standard goggle (no coating on the inside--you are allowed to wipe) the concern about running out of juice has me heading for the locker room once that starts. Some estimates of time left when the amber warning starts up would be a huge help. Maybe they would make it all day, but I think that's 20% left, which means I've used 80% in 3-4 hours. Which to me translates to just one more hour of use. I charge the things every night.
FYI I had a similar issue with my original pair of Abom Ones, and they replaced them for free under warranty. Their customer service is great and the replacement goggles last the entire day. It may be that yours have a bad batt

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm pretty sure the warranty is over on these. ... Just checked and it'll be a year in a few days. Plus if I recall correctly I tried registering them and don't think I got a confirmation because Amazon wasn't an approved seller or something. I'll have to look into all that. I emailed them as well after I'd had them a month, never heard back from them. I try to use the blue as needed and try to remember to turn them off on the lift ride. I went through an amber period and decided blue worked better.

Last edited:
TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I'm pretty sure the warranty is over on these. ... Just checked and it'll be a year in a few days. Plus if I recall correctly I tried registering them and don't think I got a confirmation because Amazon wasn't an approved seller or something. I'll have to look into all that. I emailed them as well after I'd had them a month, never heard back from them. I try to use the blue as needed and try to remember to turn them off on the lift ride. I went through an amber period and decided blue worked better.
Just call them directly and they are super helpful, see what they say

JHust

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a problem with my goggles not charging. They are over 2 years old but I decided to call them anyway. They told me to send them in and they would take a look at them to see if they can be fixed. If not they will sell me a new pair of frames at a discounted price.

Sponsor