• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
At the be Schladming night race today, which was in thick fog, most used clear lenses.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
This particular sentence is repeating marketing nonsense. The rest of the post is more or less correct.
Would not be surprised haha. May help some but maybe not enough to make much difference against a cheap lens.

Am like you Liquid Feet. I need to be able to wipe goggles with softest tissues especially from condensation while being as careful with the surfaces as is reasonable. Those goggle plastic lens surfaces will eventually accumulate enough fine scratches to be noticeable.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was just at Whistler for a week. Much flat light and snowy. Really tough above the treeline. I own Smith Chromapop, Uvex Orange Supravision, Conventional Smith Googles and lenses, Briko, Zevo with every lense they make and Oakley Flight deck with Hi Viz Prizm Pink and the new Hi Viz Prizm Persimmon. I found the Hi Viz Persimmon to have the best contrast. With that said the only viable choice is to ski adjacent to the trees. there are times that no lense has an advantage over another. We mostly skied gladed areas on Blackcomb on the edge of runs.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm seeing conflicting information about the Prizm Persimmon tint. I swear I saw a page on the Oakley site which I can't seem to find now that says that the VLT is 70-something % for that tint. And on their lens guide, it shows the Prizm Persimmon aligned with the Prizm HI Pink. But on this site, which seems to have just copy-pasted product info from Oakley, it says that the VLT is 57% for that tint https://www.dicksboardstore.co.uk/2020-oakley-fall-line-xm-snow-goggle-prizm-snow-persimmon.

Based on what I've seen in person (though I didn't get a chance to put them on), I'm thinking that 57% sounds more accurate. The classic Persimmon was 54% according to this old product chart https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buy...-buying-oakley-ski-or-snowboard-goggle-lenses. And in person, the HI Pink looks lighter than the Prizm Persimmon, not just a different color.
I have both the Hi Viz Pink Prism and the new Persimmon Prizm. They are both 38% VLT. NO differnce in brightness. But the Persimmon seemed to provide better contrast......less white noise? . I felt the darker areas were slightly darker then Pink, giving me better perception.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
we are at steamboat and supposed to get a ton of snow in the next few days. wife has smith I/os with rose lenses and is having a issue with seeing terrain. any recommendations?

thanks!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
we are at steamboat and supposed to get a ton of snow in the next few days. wife has smith I/os with rose lenses and is having a issue with seeing terrain. any recommendations?

thanks!
Ski next to the trees. Stay away from the middle of the runs and above the treeline. Try Smith Chromapop Storm Yellow Flash. Has 65% VLT, about as much light as you can find in the Smith line. Just for comparison purposes Clear = 84% VLT

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 for the Chromopop yellow flash. I have the IO/S and used the Chromopop Storm Rose lenses for a few years as we get lots of flat light here. They were ok, but I bought the yellow flash this year and it is noticeably better. Brighter due to the higher VLT and the yellow tint seems to increase contrast in blue-tinted shadows better than the rose tint (for me, anyway).

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
So I'm now thinking of going with a photocromatic lens so I don't have to swap lenses during the day as conditions or shadows change. Has anyone tried the Julbo lens? I see Smith has one but it has a much smaller VLT window and I'd still need to swap out when the light is flat.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
When I used to have to wear glasses, I had a Bolle goggle with a photochromic lens that worked fairly well. I now use Ryder "Face" biking glasses with photochromic lenses that work really well.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
TGR is now in the goggle business. They have the Zeiss-Sonar lens which might be very good. When I next need goggles (maybe next winter) I'll try these. This year I'm using my Smith Chromapop turbo goggles to help stay fog-free while hunting for the perfect face mask.
https://shop.tetongravity.com/pages/tgr-optics

Oakley Prizm lenses don't work well for my eyes. Everyone is unique, and some technologies work better than others for any individual.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Try Smith Chromapop Storm Yellow Flash.

About the only reason I keep buying Smith goggles. This and the Storm Rose Flash.

Everything else from the Chromapop range could be found in equal or better versions in Prizm (Oakley) and Sonar/ Perceive (Anon) but these two are truly magnificent.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
Have you looked into SportRX? They make prescription inserts for ski goggles. Not OTG, but a custom made insert.
I thought about SportRx or similar system, but given that up here in the wet Pacific NW I occasionally get goggle fogging, I find that contacts are one less thing to fog up. Plus, contacts give me far better peripheral vision, which is already cut down with ski goggles...

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have these lenses en route after a tough flat/low light day a week or two ago:

I'll report back once they arrive and I get to ski with them.

I was using these the day in question and was struggling to make out the contours in the snow unless in fully sunbathed trails:
For bright days they work well, but the 11% VLT (per the spec) does make them sub optimal for flat light. I have a set of clear lenses for night skiing.

*edit* the link preview shows identical, but should go to two unique pages:
LOW LIGHT YELLOW
EMERALD

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
My daughter and I wear the Anon WM1 and I just had to replace two lenses due to scratching...ouch. We have had some goggle icing situations recently and I was skiing blind. I don’t know if my goggle squeegee did it, or if I somehow rubbed them with a mitten, but I ruined them.

The Anon Perceive Cloudy Pink (53%) just arrived and I will be trying it out soon. I am going to upgrade to the WM3 soon and wanted to try out the pink lens that I would likely get with those.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter and I wear the Anon WM1 and I just had to replace two lenses due to scratching...ouch. We have had some goggle icing situations recently and I was skiing blind. I don’t know if my goggle squeegee did it, or if I somehow rubbed them with a mitten, but I ruined them.

Ouch. Are you using a SkiGee or something else? Have not touched my Anons with mine yet. Anybody else have experience with the Anon lenses vs a SkiGee?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
" Was just at Whistler for a week. Much flat light and snowy. "

One flat & snowy day at Whistler we were in the Glacier Creek Lodge (base of Jersey Cream & Glacier Express lifts). The shop is on the ground floor with large windows looking out on the flat-lighted snow. We got the OK from the clerk to take several different goggles to the window and look out. It was interesting how many different favorites there were. There was no one universal favorite that everyone preferred among the top brands we tried. Try before you buy. Everyone's eyes are different.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Ouch. Are you using a SkiGee or something else? Have not touched my Anons with mine yet. Anybody else have experience with the Anon lenses vs a SkiGee?
Yes, it is a Ski Gee - I keep it on an extendable clip attached to my jacket. I may have used the thumb of my mitten too though? I clearly did something wrong and twice! I have had the goggles and lenses for years with no issues, so I am a bit perplexed.

Last edited:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Revisiting this...
Skied with these "Low light" lenses the other day in overcast to moderate snow conditions and was thrilled with their performance. The yellow and light tint made for great visibility and contrast. Thumbs up!
1612702312041.png

Sponsor

Staff online