• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've joined the 3/6 club. I found a new on-sale pair of Smith IOX with the Storm Flash Yellow included to compare to Oakley Hi Pink and Storm Flash Rose. Will report back.
I didn't really mean to start a goggle quiver, but I kept finding sets on sale and couldn't resist. My eyes aren't that sensitive and I've skied in bright sunlight in flat light goggles in the Poconos many times. But on a day when I'm not sure about the conditions, I can set one frame with flat light and the other for bright light before I leave for the hill. What really has driven my purchases is finding that Goldilock lens for when its puking snow. I've only skied these conditions in Maine and Vermont a couple of times and the Blue Sensor was not quite enough. The Hi Pink was better, but I want to see how Storm Flash Yellow compares.

My wife will ski with a light yellow lens and puts on her sunglasses instead of regular glasses when it gets bright. She struggles with contacts, which is what I greatly prefer.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't find anything line that on their website. It'd be nice though!
Interesting. The lens I have (photochromic pink) doesn't exist anymore. The one I mentioned (photochromic red sensor) shows up in the lens selector but when I press the "shop" button I get nothing.
Capture.PNG

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting. The lens I have (photochromic pink) doesn't exist anymore. The one I mentioned (photochromic red sensor) shows up in the lens selector but when I press the "shop" button I get nothing.
View attachment 81295
I believe they have a new series of photochromic Chromapop lenses to replace the Senor series.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
169846513.jpg

Ryders Inside, where dim images are seen more easily so I presume dim light while skiing will be better.

169846515.jpg

Ryders outside in the sunshine for a minute or two

Note that left eye surgery was yesterday.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe they have a new series of photochromic Chromapop lenses to replace the Senor series.
I knew I saved the box so I'd know what my lens was. I dug around and found it -- sure enough, it was the photochromic red sensor. Sad tney don't make them anymore.

But it looks like there might be a "chromapop photochromic rose flash" lens. Not on the Smith site, but does show up in Amazon.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I knew I saved the box so I'd know what my lens was. I dug around and found it -- sure enough, it was the photochromic red sensor. Sad tney don't make them anymore.

But it looks like there might be a "chromapop photochromic rose flash" lens. Not on the Smith site, but does show up in Amazon.
Evo has a lot of info on the Smith series of goggles. The one below shows the chromapop photochromic red as an option. The IO series as a rose version.
https://www.evo.com/goggles/smith-skyline#image=157462/633708/smith-skyline-goggles-.jpg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was in an Oakley store in London yesterday and saw that they are finally selling a Prizm Persimmon lens in snow goggles.

It looks about the same tint as their classic persimmon lenses, so not as light as the old HI Persimmon. Just eyeballing it, it looks like it's a little darker than the HI Pink and a little lighter than the Prizm Rose.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the hydrophobic cleaning pen that I bought doesn't fix the problem with my Prizm Rose lens, then I'll probably be buying a Prizm Persimmon replacement.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm seeing conflicting information about the Prizm Persimmon tint. I swear I saw a page on the Oakley site which I can't seem to find now that says that the VLT is 70-something % for that tint. And on their lens guide, it shows the Prizm Persimmon aligned with the Prizm HI Pink. But on this site, which seems to have just copy-pasted product info from Oakley, it says that the VLT is 57% for that tint https://www.dicksboardstore.co.uk/2020-oakley-fall-line-xm-snow-goggle-prizm-snow-persimmon.

Based on what I've seen in person (though I didn't get a chance to put them on), I'm thinking that 57% sounds more accurate. The classic Persimmon was 54% according to this old product chart https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buy...-buying-oakley-ski-or-snowboard-goggle-lenses. And in person, the HI Pink looks lighter than the Prizm Persimmon, not just a different color.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have both the Oakley Prizm Hi-Pink and Smith Chromapop Storm Yellow Flash.
For low-light I slightly prefer the Smith.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wouldn’t be surprised (stupid British spell check :nono:) if Oakley makes a Prizm yellow in the next year or two. If they do a Prizm HI Yellow, then that could be their ultimate low-light lens.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
I'm probably going to have my second eye done in October. I've been walking around with excellent distance vision in the "new" eye and OK near vision in the "bad" eye (which is not as bad as the first one was). I wear glasses most of the time, but it is very convenient to get by without them, and to have good close vision when I need it (or for reading in bed).

So I'm probably going to go the "monovision" route, BUT still wear glasses most of the time (and wear one contact for distance on the near eye when skiing).

Anybody see a flaw in this plan?

I've had to wear corrective lenses since 4th grade, and normally wear glasses for work since they give me enough eye protection that I don't have to wear the dorky face shields that surgeons or scrub techs often do. But I HATE trying to fit glasses under goggles, so have gone the "monovision" route with soft contacts for skiing. You probably will do fine. My set up gives me intermediate vision for reading big trail maps and arm's length to across-room stuff, and sharp distance vision in my other eye.

As far as goggle lenses, got some Smith IO Mags last season, love them. Everyday Green for most days in the NW, Storm Rose for Cascade crap days, Sun Red for my occasional CO bluebird days and just for looking cool...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm probably going to have my second eye done in October.

Nope, eye surgeon said it wasn't "ripe" yet. The non-surgical eye is still mostly correctable with glasses, though we can't quite get all the way to 20/20.
Planning to ski with one contact lens again this year, since the best possible skiing vision is worth the hassle of not being able to read.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You have to stop trying to see in flat light. You can’t, and you just set up a failure/frustration loop which will drive you crazy.
There are people who ski quite fast in it on piste. Wondering how will get you farther than the perfect lens.

I know how they do it: They can see better. I know this because I used to see better. Talked to eye doctor. "Yeah, you're getting old. This happens."

...I'm looking for new goggles but want 2 lenses that are easily changeable. One lens for flat light and another for flatter light.

Exactly! Then I'll just throw away the first one, or else save it for a sunny day in Colorado.

Seriously, just came back from my first day of the season. Seems like every year since I turned fifty my low light vision has gotten noticeably worse.

Thing is, here in northern New England, in Nov - January, it's not "flat" light that's the problem. No. The problem is that it's just plain dark.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seriously, just came back from my first day of the season. Seems like every year since I turned fifty my low light vision has gotten noticeably worse.

Thing is, here in northern New England, in Nov - January, it's not "flat" light that's the problem. No. The problem is that it's just plain dark.
This time of year my wife and I rarely make to last chair or even much past 2 pm.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have both the Oakley Prizm Hi-Pink and Smith Chromapop Storm Yellow Flash.
For low-light I slightly prefer the Smith.
I agree with you. I borrowed the man's Smith's at Targhee last year because I was having a BAD time with visibility even with my Hi Pinks, which I do really like, and the Smith's were just a tad brighter. Bought some as a result.

I just "won" a pair of Giro magnetic goggles with two lenses at a silent auction, including a storm lens. I'll compare and report back.

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I agree with you. I borrowed the man's Smith's at Targhee last year because I was having a BAD time with visibility even with my Hi Pinks, which I do really like, and the Smith's were just a tad brighter. Bought some as a result.

I just "won" a pair of Giro magnetic goggles with two lenses at a silent auction, including a storm lens. I'll compare and report back.
I have the Giro Vivid lens I'm eager to try again now that my eyes are fixed. They are supposedly the same tech as the Oakley & Smith.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I've had to wear corrective lenses since 4th grade, and normally wear glasses for work since they give me enough eye protection that I don't have to wear the dorky face shields that surgeons or scrub techs often do. But I HATE trying to fit glasses under goggles, so have gone the "monovision" route with soft contacts for skiing. You probably will do fine. My set up gives me intermediate vision for reading big trail maps and arm's length to across-room stuff, and sharp distance vision in my other eye.

As far as goggle lenses, got some Smith IO Mags last season, love them. Everyday Green for most days in the NW, Storm Rose for Cascade crap days, Sun Red for my occasional CO bluebird days and just for looking cool...
Have you looked into SportRX? They make prescription inserts for ski goggles. Not OTG, but a custom made insert.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Giro Vivid lens I'm eager to try again now that my eyes are fixed. They are supposedly the same tech as the Oakley & Smith.

I know Giro is a good brand... but that reminds me of this:

Sponsor