• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Whitewater of course, but also Silver Star and Schweitzer up there.

Ummm......Whitewater is the very definition of what she’s looking for, with awesome food as an added benefit. Silver Star and Schweitzer are anything but dirtbaggish, they are full-scale resorts with lodging, high-speed lifts (both actually have 6-packs) and other amenities. That said, they are less travelled, less crowded, less expensive than most resorts that @Analisa is eschewing, and lots of locals who know how to ski. If she is willing to compromise on the dirtbag principle, she would have a great time at either/both.

I empathize with her plight. I might make Baker my new home as well next year. I’m teaching with an independent ski school at Stevens, and it’s not clear whether Vail will allow concession schools next year.

TS
Analisa

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@David Chaus - I've been home from Whitewater for about 48 hours (it inspired the post to find some similar spots). I liked Schweitzer a lot. Granted, it was a weekend powder day, and the only other people there were the "retirees that make you look like a gaper" crowd. I tend to steer away from amenities/high speed chairs since it tends to go hand-in-hand with the hyper-touristy spots, but when they don't it's that much better! Silver Star was a little wide open groomers/wide open moguls on repeat for my tastes, but it was also an odd snow year where all the other BC resorts we hit got pounded and they somehow didn't.

@Pumba Need to get back to Revelstoke since my only trip was during a high pressure system but still really fun. I'm hoping that all the work it takes to get there will keep it from getting too popular, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a little more touristy as they continue to develop the village.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Earlier video for Whitefish. Interestingly, there's a duplicate "locals" face in this and the last. (Son of friends.)

I noticed they didn't mentioned the fog.
Nice vids. They could make Hunter look good though.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You had me at this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 3.28.18 PM.png

:D:D:D:D:D

50kVert

Booting up
Skier
Mt Lemmon, AZ - Two very old double chairs. And as far as I know, the only bathrooms they have are a few port-a-pots in the parking lot.
Sunrise Park Resort, AZ - I've called the "snow phone" before and reached a person who said "uh, looks like it's snowing out there"

James

Out There
Instructor
It's the best written, best-produced ski periodical out there. $40 a year is a steal for the quality you get.

Plus it is perfect van reading material.
Yes it's a gorgeous mag. Heh, assuming it's still printed and not just digital.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Yes it's a gorgeous mag. Heh, assuming it's still printed and not just digital.

It's still printed.

Most recent copy is always on my coffee table. Older copies go in the van.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, That pretty much sums it up. Make sure to go only after fresh snow though.

I doubt @Analisa wants to drive all the way to the UP from the PNW ;-).

It’s a great spot for us midwesterners, beacuse of what it is, but I am sure there is much more of that kind of terrain and snow (along with more snow and more vert) to be found in the PNW.
No doubt about that. Every time I think about going, I remember that I can get from Detroit to Vermont in about the same amount of time.

Nonetheless, it deserves mention in a thread such as this.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Red Lodge Mountain has already come up a couple of times, and I think it meets the criteria. There's interesting slackcountry, questionable plumbing, and a much more laid-back vibe than Bridger or Big Sky (plus Red Lodge itself is a cool little town). They dropped the word "resort" from their marketing some years ago because they felt it was overselling the place.

If you want the dirtbaggiest ski area in the area, though, that would probably be Beartooth Basin. Opening schedule is roughly Memorial Day through July 4 (subject to the road being open), there is no plumbing, and the F&B operation is selling prepackaged stuff out of an old little league concession truck (which doubles as the ticket sales office). No chairlfits (two pomas) but a very, very cool place.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's still printed.

Most recent copy is always on my coffee table. Older copies go in the van.
Well Ski Journal and Skiing Heritage are two ski mags worth getting. One of the photographers for ski journal used to be on epic and is prob here.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's a group working on a system of glades at the ski tow in Lancaster NH. Haven't been there but the tow is free with a suggested donation. On St Patricks day we went to the Irish pub downtown. Good food and service and a few characters there.

How about Mt Abram in Maine?

Sponsor

Staff online