Best dirtbag ski areas

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Analisa, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Those bunks sure look dirtbag worthy to me :beercheer:

James likes this.
  2. raisingarizona

raisingarizona Getting off the lift Skier

What qualifications make a ski area “dirtbag” worthy?

Back in the 90’s and into the early 2000’s when I was a true dirtbag the best places were the free ones.

A-Basin was a great spot, especially in the spring. When I lived in Steamboat we would hitch hike to there, camp in the lot and climb up Grizzly Peak in the morning to ski a Dogleg or Shit For Brains. Then skate across the basin to the ski areas upper lifts where no one ever checked your ticket. Then we would spend the afternoon hiking up to the couloirs and doing hot laps in the bowl. The day would end with parking lot beers and hot dogs.

The mid 90’s was also the time that Crested Butte had there free skiing week during their closing week in the spring. That was one hell of a party! My bud and I once hitch hiked from Steamboat while eating shrooms the whole time. That was a crazy 24 hour adventure getting there!

I used to dirt bag everywhere really. Leftover pizza crusts at Nick Wilson’s, free coffee at the Snake River Lodge, day old bread from the grocery store, etc etc.

40 dollar lift tickets were too much to be honest. I might photo slut one day to score a free pass but I might also call it early to resell that pass in the parking lot to score a meal and some beers. There were those winters where we hit the jackpot with a good weed hook up and got to live the high life slinging sacks. At one point I think I was the richest dish washer in Steamboat.

Damn those were the best years of my life.....

3. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

Shames Mountain Resort in Terrace BC. Very laid back -- phenomenal backcountry terrain as well. You may also pick up cat or heli skiing at Northern Escape...

Mike

Analisa and raisingarizona like this.
  4. Mike King

Mike King AKA Habacomike Instructor

Gulmarg would be another. But you will want a guide. Matt Appleford arranges and guides trips there.

Mike

5. raisingarizona

Mount Cain looks really cool too.

6. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Home in Spokalou for the foreseeable future
    You want free?

1st week of April 49* North, free lift tickets. Oh and they have over 12' left on top right now and RV parking. Dirtbag's heaven.

raisingarizona likes this.
  7. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

I think you can do the same thing at A Basin today. :crossfingers:

raisingarizona likes this.
  8. fatbob

fatbob Making fresh tracks Skier

I happened on 49 North by accident and loved it. Glencoe in Scotland meets most dirtbag criteria but when the snows on it gets pretty busy.

I think Whitewater should be disqualified from dirtbag status as its too knowingly hipster.

9. raisingarizona

Mount Cain looks really cool too.
    I hear the food is crazy good at Whitewater

10. Slide of Hans

Slide of Hans Putting on skis Skier

Mothertucker and surfsnowgirl like this.
  11. DanoT

DanoT RVer-Skier Skier

Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
    I don't know as nearby Nelson is the Hippie capital of Canada, but for Hipsters you need to go to the Kitsilano neighbourhood in Vancouver. Or just hang out at a Whole Foods Market.:D

David Chaus and Mike Rogers like this.
  12. clong83

clong83 Stauffenberg! Skier

Wow, a Cloudcroft mention! Most hard core skiers even in NM have never heard of that. Too far south, very unreliable snow. Never been myself. I’d recommend Pajarito or Sipapu if we are doing smaller resorts. If we want larger resorts, then Ski Santa Fe, and of course, Taos. Ski Santa Fe is not huge, but has some good lines if you know where to look and is usually uncrowded. One of the more under-rated resorts out there, I would say.

13. wyowindrunner

wyowindrunner Getting off the lift Skier

Just got an EM about the IndyPass - 2 days at 30 odd resorts across the country- couple in Canada and one in Alaska too. Most unrestricted access. 199 bucks. Have skied three of the resorts Lost Trail once, ( area is north of Salmon ID in the MT/ID border)The Beav (Beaver Mt. UT, between Logan and Bear Lake) quite a bit years back, and Red Lodge Mt., 5-6 miles from Red Lodge MT., a whole bunch. RLM was home hill for several years. 14 hills in the west, the rest are midwest and east. Some of the other west areas have been mentioned in this thread but I haven't skied them. (yet). For the price I'm grabbing one. If Targhee has the unlikely misfortune of having a low snow year may do some traveling.

Bad Bob likes this.
  14. sbooker

sbooker Getting on the lift Skier

If Targhee gets no snow my trip from Australia in February is doomed.
    Has that ever even happened? I think not. I would guess 250 inches in the worst year.

15. wyowindrunner

I don't think I would worry a lot about lack of snow at Targhee- Lowest annual total that I have experienced there was 14-15? A little over 300" if I remember right. Seems all of the Northern Rockies were low that year.

16. New2

New2 Getting off the lift Skier

Opensnow reports 235" for 2014-2015: https://www.onthesnow.com/wyoming/grand-targhee-resort/historical-snowfall.html?y=2014&q=snow
    But it's about as safe a bet as you can make, and I agree that it's not worth worrying about ogsmile

17. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

I skied Discovery over 20 years ago, when I was a pinhead. The back was where it was at. It wasn't dirtbag per se, but it was down to earth and had great terrain.

David Chaus likes this.
  18. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Making fresh tracks Skier

My daughter skins Lost Trail on the days it's closed and has a pass there this coming season, after spending the last three shuttling around here, Blacktail, Disco, Lookout, Snowbowl, and there. (To be fair, although she lives in Missoula, she's got a friend in Corvallis which makes it closer.) She said there's also good mountain biking there, she was just there for the bike fest.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    David Chaus likes this.
  19. David Chaus

David Chaus If I am skiing the world is a perfect place. Skier

I’m planning a road trip on the way the Jackson Gathering, and will probably make stops at Lookout and either Discovery or Lost Trail on the way.

20. wyowindrunner

Yea I agree with the Alfred E Neuman sentiments.(What, me worry?) The below was taken from liftopia.com blog rgarding snowfall amounts down in the westand substantially higher in the east during that winter. Thought I saw 309" on the GT site closing weekend. Don't remember for sure but doremember it as very sunny, warm, and sticky.
    Northern Rockies
    Wyoming, Montana and Idaho fared much like Colorado. Grand Targhee in Wyoming is about as reliable for snowfall as any U.S. resort. The ski area received a healthy 301 inches. Of course, it averages 500 inches, so 2014-15 was a down season by its high standards.

Utah
    Like Grand Targhee, Utah resorts have huge annual snowfall averages. The 2014-15 season did not meet their high standards, but Alta Ski Area still tallied 324 inches. However, snowfall during the three months of January, February and March added up to just 98 inches. (Alta usually receives about that amount in each of those months.)