• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Demo or Adjustable Binding?

Clax

Booting up
Skier
I am a former user of Marker Jester Schizo bindings, and I really liked them, but I see they are no longer available. I have a new pair of Salomon QST 118's incoming, and want to mount adjustable bindings to be able to play with the binding position. The factory recommended mount position of the QST is really close to center (-4.6cm), which concerns me a little on extra-deep heli/cat days where moving slightly rearward can be beneficial. Any recommendations for me on the best quality and top performing option for a demo or adjustable binding? I'm not too worried about cost, simply the best performance and reasonably lightweight. Thanks so much!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've been doing similar research on this too. I would recommend either the Tyrolia/Head PowerRail bindings or the Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo bindings. Both get great props for ease of use and strong "binding" of boot to ski (no slop in the attachment).

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Attack 13 demo. I have some on order from skies & bikes in mississauga. They will have the jig as well. Call and ask for Adam

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Attach 13 has a 77mm toe slip pad (AFD) , Level 9 Sports recommends a min waist of 83mm

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you ever sort your skinny demo binding?

Not really. I am getting a Look SPX14, flat mount. Its not really adjustable, but Phil said the V76 is good to go mounted on the line. The SPX15 is a rockerflex, and only mounts on an R21 plate. The problem I found is no one will mount a race plate. (apparently, they all come pre mounted on skis now). Same with the PRD. Nobody will mount the rail . Also, nobody is willing to use a paper template to mount anything. Everyone is scared of screwing up. So the SPX14 is the best I can do in my part of the world.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not really. I am getting a Look SPX14, flat mount. Its not really adjustable, but Phil said the V76 is good to go mounted on the line. The SPX15 is a rockerflex, and only mounts on an R21 plate. The problem I found is no one will mount a race plate. (apparently, they all come pre mounted on skis now). Same with the PRD. Nobody will mount the rail . Also, nobody is willing to use a paper template to mount anything. Everyone is scared of screwing up. So the SPX14 is the best I can do in my part of the world.

There was a thread on here about mounting the Rockerflex/Rockerace flat - but one needs to be careful of delta.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

This is precisely why you should learn to mount your own bindings. It's not "rocket surgery" ;)

In fact, in this day and age, it's easier than ever with all of the available online resources. I wish I would have had the kind of tools and advice that is now easily accessible when I started doing it over 10 years ago.

ccsasuke

Booting up
Skier
I've been doing similar research on this too. I would recommend either the Tyrolia/Head PowerRail bindings or the Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo bindings. Both get great props for ease of use and strong "binding" of boot to ski (no slop in the attachment).

So how's the PRD or Attack compared to the Warden 13 MNC Demo?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am a former user of Marker Jester Schizo bindings, and I really liked them, but I see they are no longer available. I have a new pair of Salomon QST 118's incoming, and want to mount adjustable bindings to be able to play with the binding position. The factory recommended mount position of the QST is really close to center (-4.6cm), which concerns me a little on extra-deep heli/cat days where moving slightly rearward can be beneficial. Any recommendations for me on the best quality and top performing option for a demo or adjustable binding? I'm not too worried about cost, simply the best performance and reasonably lightweight. Thanks so much!

For the QST 118's I would say the ATTACK 13 Demo is the best choice. Its MNC so you can use different types of boots but as always alpine sole is ideal for safety.

I have seen the Marker Griffon Demos as well and they are awesome and pretty light but I do not know if you can get them unless you are a ski mfg.

TS
Clax

Clax

Booting up
Skier
For the QST 118's I would say the ATTACK 13 Demo is the best choice. Its MNC so you can use different types of boots but as always alpine sole is ideal for safety.

I have seen the Marker Griffon Demos as well and they are awesome and pretty light but I do not know if you can get them unless you are a ski mfg.

Thanks for the comments, Ken. Do you know if the Griffon Demo's have a similar mechanism as the Attack 13's, in terms of not needing tools to change-on-the-fly?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Griffon Demo's have a worm gear adjustment. You need a screwdriver

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks for the comments, Ken. Do you know if the Griffon Demo's have a similar mechanism as the Attack 13's, in terms of not needing tools to change-on-the-fly?

Yes, no tools needed. At least the new ones are like that.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, no tools needed. At least the new ones are like that.
Mine are a couple of years old and definitely need a screwdriver. When I traded skis, the other guy with Attacks was done and I was still lying on the snow with my screwdriver.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is precisely why you should learn to mount your own bindings. It's not "rocket surgery" ;)

In fact, in this day and age, it's easier than ever with all of the available online resources. I wish I would have had the kind of tools and advice that is now easily accessible when I started doing it over 10 years ago.

Yes. Binding Freedom is your friend.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Attach 13 has a 77mm toe slip pad (AFD) , Level 9 Sports recommends a min waist of 83mm

Help me learn. Got a reference with a why for this statement?

Its a big fat toe piece, and you need a fairly wide ski to put it on.
VyEeic1tQvGICKeatv48TA.jpg

Attack 13 demo on a 79mm ski. You will not boot out.

There was a thread on here about mounting the Rockerflex/Rockerace flat - but one needs to be careful of delta.
??? Delta is not an issue.
So how's the PRD or Attack compared to the Warden 13 MNC Demo?

Salomon Warden demo, Marker Griffon, Attack 11 & 13 demo are all MNC. Why are alpine soles ideal for safety?

The Griffon Demo's have a worm gear adjustment. You need a screwdriver
New Marker demo bindings are all tool less fore and aft adjustment.

Here is a breakdown of each demo binding by brand:

Atomic/Salomon Warden 11 DT

• Adjustment range: 262-382mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes
  • Sole compatibility: DIN
  • Pluses: Lightweight, easy step-in
  • Minuses: No WTR
  • Others to consider: Look NX 12 Konect, Marker Squire 11 D, Tyrolia Attack2 11 AT Demo

Atomic/Salomon Warden 13 DT
  • Adjustment range: 262-382cm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes, w/manual AFD
  • Sole compatibility: DIN, GripWalk, WTR, MNC
  • Pluses: Full MNC
  • Minuses: Delta changes from sole to sole
  • Others to consider: Look SPX 12 Konect, Marker Griffon 13 D, Tyrolia Attack2 13 AT Demo
Look NX 12 Konect
  • Adjustment range: 260-377mm
  • Sole compatibility: DIN, GripWalk, WTR
  • Pluses: Easy step-in heel, easiest to adjust for DIN/WTR, accepts GripWalk
  • Minuses: Tall stand height, heavy for entry-level demo
  • Others to consider: Atomic/Salomon Warden 11 DT, Marker FDT TPX 12; Marker Squire 11 TCX D, Tyrolia Attack2 11 AT Demo

Look SPX 12 Konect
  • Adjustment range: 260-377mm
  • Sole compatibility: DIN, GripWalk, WTR
  • Pluses: Easiest to adjust for DIN/WTR, accepts GripWalk
  • Minuses: Tall stand height, heaviest of all demos
  • Others to consider: Atomic/Salomon Warden 13 DT; Marker Griffon 13 TCX D; Marker Griffon 13 D; Tyrolia Attack2 13 AT Demo
Marker FDT TPX 12
  • Adjustment range: 260-388mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: No
  • Sole compatibility: DIN, GripWalk
  • Pluses: Traditional design for a narrower ski
  • Minuses: Not MNC
  • Others to consider: Look SPX Konect 12; Tyrolia Pro 12/14 GW

Marker Squire 11 TCX D
  • Sole compatibility: All
  • Pluses: Lightest of all demos
  • Minuses: Still need to check forward pressure
  • Others to consider: Atomic/Salomon Warden 11 DT; Look NX 12 Konect; Tyrolia Attack2 11 AT Demo

Marker Griffon 13 D
  • Pluses: Lightest of 13 bindings
  • Minuses: Difficult to get into for lighter skiers, short BSL, or deeper snow, still need to check forward pressure
  • Others to consider: Atomic/Salomon Warden MNC 13 DT; Look SPX 12 Konect; Tyrolia Attack2 13 AT Demo

Marker Griffon 13 TCX D
  • Pluses: Easy step-in heel
  • Minuses: Still need to check forward pressure
  • Others to consider: Atomic/Salomon Warden MNC 13 DT; Look SPX 12 Konect; Tyrolia Attack2 13 AT Demo
Fischer/Tyrolia Attack2 11 AT Demo
  • Adjustment range: 259-382mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes w/manual toe height
  • Pluses: Accepts all soles
  • Minuses: Brake no longer stays on plate
  • Others to consider: Atomic/Salomon Warden MNC 11 DT; Look NX 12 Konect; Marker Squire 11 TCX D

Fischer/Tyrolia Attack2 13 AT Demo

• Adjustment range: 259-382mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes w/manual toe height
  • Pluses: Accepts all soles
  • Minuses: Brake no longer stays on plate, high stand height
  • Others to consider: Atomic/Salomon Warden MNC 13 DT; Look SPX 12 Konect; Marker FDT TPX 12, Griffon 13 TCX D, Griffon 13 D

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
View attachment 57752

Salomon Warden demo, Marker Griffon, Attack 11 & 13 demo are all MNC. Why are alpine soles ideal for safety?

When I say Alpine Soles I am referring to the ISO 5355 standard and WTR and GW as well (MNC is for those last 2 right?)

Some AT Boots fit but are not recommended for safety (release).

Did not want to say more on this since there are a few extensive threads on the mater. :eek:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
The problem with the Attack 13 demo toe piece on narrow skis comes into play when you're filing the side edges. I need to remove the toe piece to use my electric Swix edger as it rides up on the binding as it passes it.

Sponsor

Staff online