• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Cycling movies?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Breaking Away, La Course en Tete, maybe something like Blood Road could count too. What should any good cyclist watch? I guess for it to have real appeal a non-cyclist should be able to watch it too.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for Breaking Awa!.

And an oddball vote for Dodge Ball, specifically for the scene where Lance chastised Vince Vaughn for giving up, and reminded us of his many and great achievements.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Breaking Away, La Course en Tete, maybe something like Blood Road could count too. What should any good cyclist watch? I guess for it to have real appeal a non-cyclist should be able to watch it too.
I grew up near Bloomington and remember them fiming Breaking Away when I was a kid. How did they get helmets on that hair?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another vote for Breaking Awa!.

And an oddball vote for Dodge Ball, specifically for the scene where Lance chastised Vince Vaughn for giving up, and reminded us of his many and great achievements.
Dodgeball is one of my favorite movies of all time, and if you get a chance watch the Unrated version. ;)

Soma001.jpg

1980-ish Soma Competition

I recall watching Breaking Away as a kid and I was already as full into cycling as I could be in the remoted Pocono Mountains. My full Shimano 600EX equipped Tange tubed Soma Competition was my only transportation and that movie made mw want to sell it to get a Campy Record Columbus tubed Colnago but it was never near my budget.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Le Velo de Ghislain Lambert <- gigglefits and doping. Gigglefits about doping.
A Sunday in Hell <- Eddy Merckx scowling, and checking his saddle height. Again. And Again :D
Pantani: Death of a Cyclist <- also the true death of the individual bike hero era.
do series count? - The Atherton Project. <- discover your inner MTB hooligan
Triplettes de Belleville <- kinda slow unless you are geek enough to recognise de Vlaeminck, Fignon, Bartali from a satirical cartoon.
2 Seconds <- schmaltzy on an American Flyer level but at least you see Mammoth DH
The Road Uphill <- sort of a feelgood post- Lance- era emotional management documentary
The Flying Scotsman <- very obvious gaps in the Obree story but absolutely vital to understanding UCI mentality.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Le Velo de Ghislain Lambert <- gigglefits and doping. Gigglefits about doping.
A Sunday in Hell <- Eddy Merckx scowling, and checking his saddle height. Again. And Again :D
Pantani: Death of a Cyclist <- also the true death of the individual bike hero era.
do series count? - The Atherton Project. <- discover your inner MTB hooligan
Triplettes de Belleville <- kinda slow unless you are geek enough to recognise de Vlaeminck, Fignon, Bartali from a satirical cartoon.
2 Seconds <- schmaltzy on an American Flyer level but at least you see Mammoth DH
The Road Uphill <- sort of a feelgood post- Lance- era emotional management documentary
The Flying Scotsman <- very obvious gaps in the Obree story but absolutely vital to understanding UCI mentality.
+1 for Triplettes de Belleville. I love that movie!!!!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
+1 for Triplettes de Belleville. I love that movie!!!!

If you haven't yet, watch it back to back with Louis Malle's Vive le Tour.

I am convinced that Vive le Tour is to Triplettes what Henry IV parts I and II are to Henry V : necessary parts of a character arc. For example, VlT explains the fish dinner joke/allusion in Triplettes.

Last edited:
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Here we go, this is what I’m talking about. Is there a good Fausto Coppi movie?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Another vote for A Sunday in Hell. This is Merckx, Martens, De Vlaeminck and Moser back in the day, on the cobles in the Pais-Rubaix classic.
Nothing glamous about Euro racing... it was a working man's sport.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

TDF, Vuelta and Giro reruns are the best option. 80s and 90s vintage.

scott43

Skier
I watched Breaking Away when I was just starting out racing in Junior years ago. I was interested in the bikes..the gear..the cycling. Once I actually was racing for a while, I realized that most road cycling was pretty much like the Cinzano team..and mountain biking wasn't..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the lighter side:

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I'm trying to remember the name of a French movie about a cycling obsessive husband who road to the top of an epic pass where his wife was to pick him up and drive him home. After a big argument she drove off to leave him to ride home. There is a great scene of him struggling through traffic in Paris at dusk in the rain with trucks splashing past and generally looking like he was not having a great time of it. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Sponsor