• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have the thread about filling a quad with the three people you'd like to ride a chair with, but here is another twist.
Have you ever been on a chairlift with people who've had a conversation that made you think....

"This is a conversation to be remembered."?

Mine:
I was on a triple chair at Deer Valley with @Philpug and @alan Shoenberger (The Puppet).
Phil asked Alan what his idea was of a modern ballet ski and the conversation between the two for the entire slow chair ride was unbelievably cool.
I only regret not turning on my voice memos to record it.
Suzy, Phil, Me and The Puppet

IMG_0069.JPG

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Working my way single through an unusually crowded lift line, double chair, I paired myself up with a guy my age in a ski school jacket. He had no poles and was skiing on some 140 cm beat up park skis, too short for them to be his park and pipe skis. I just assumed they were his noob lesson teaching skis. Anyway, as we shuffled up to the bullwheel I noticed something a bit off about the guy. Started the usual chit chat on the lift. Turns out he wasn't a regular instructor. He was a race team coach who had worked for the place over 20 years. He had a bad stroke the previous year and still had not regained much mobility in the left side of his body. The 140 cm park skis were all he felt comfortable trying to use. Really cool that he didn't give up and was doing everything he could to keep skiing and keep coaching the kids. I don't remember his name, but I look for him whenever I go back to that place..

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Was really two converstions at Loveland. The first was when a friend and I were on a chair with a young lady (who ironically was from our neck of the woods here in the midwest) and she said we should work our way over to Ptarmigan lift and Lift 9. She said that 9 was closed as it was "breazy out, not really windy". Next ride up Ptarmigan, we were parctically blown sideways. Windest lift ride I have ever had. My buddy turned to me and said "Breezy my @$$."

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wouldn't necessarily label this one as the best, but the comic timing of it was great.

I was at DV on a chair with some other people who were having a good chin wag about how not having snowboarders around made them feel safer. Less than a minute later, a lady on the slope below us nearly smashed into a kid in front of her, yelling "look out, kid!" as she flailed her arms.

Apparently, I was the only one who saw the irony.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Some of the best (and worst) chair lift conversations I have had were on this chair...
View attachment 77946
I've only ridden a single chair twice, once at Aspen a really long time ago, and, slightly more recently, once at Stowe. In both cases I was encased in a BLANKET, and couldn't think of anything to talk to myself about except for reminders to be looking occasionally for the upper terminal.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To be fair...that sounds like a Loveland local talking to a non-Loveland skier.

Breezy at Loveland is windy AF most places.

It is also entirely possible that the wind changed in the time it took to get there. Scariest lift ride of my life was on Chair 9 with the wind blowing me (alone on the chair) sideways.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Jumped on a chair with this fellow and about the second tower said howdy and we started talking. Looked down a his ski and asked him was doing 1 ski drills. He said oh no, I guess it fell off when I got on. I'm not sure if he was serious or yanking my chain.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Gary Stolt and I were riding a triple at, I think, Brighton. We were feeling pretty good about ourselves because the "youngsters" skiing with us had already called it a day. On one ride, a young woman rode up with us. As Gary and I were planning where to ski next, basically the trees on the right or left of the lift line cut, she said incredulously, "you guys are going to ski that?". It doesn't take much to feed our old egos....

Sponsor