• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Best" car/truck/van you ever owned

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Definitely one of the best ski/outdoor enthusiast cars ever made. I'm in a 1st gen Tacoma now which I love but I very much miss my Outback.
View attachment 103178
Looks just like the 2001 that I own. And you are right, they have no guts going up hill. Issue with the 3.6R is even worse gas mileage but less reliability and higher maintenance from what I hear. So not a no brainer at all to choose the 3.6R.

The one problem is that a good number of them get the dreaded head gasket leak and if the engine somehow overheats due to coolant leak they don't survive it well due to use of aluminum in the block.

@Philpug is right, the car is a lot different starting in 2010. Much more SUV like. Also auto transmission is now CVT, which helps fuel economy but is controversial as far as life of the transmission.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I used to have a new Subaru every year as part of a contract with them. Impreza, Legacy wagon when it was first gen “Outback”, Impreza, Outback, and STI. All were transportation appliances except the STI.

Currently have an SQ5, which is my favorite vehicle to date. In winter I run Nokian studded snows. I can launch off of hard packed snow and ice with total confidence.

Other favs were VW GTI and VW Diesel wagon, and a Porsche or three. The VW wagon was the top trim package, and it actually shares a number of touch points with the Audi. That vehicle was great in that I realized 45 mpg, it had a ton of torque, I could carry all my stuff, and it was fun to drive. Net / net, with the emissions scandal I drove the wagon for three years, and turned it in for $3,500 more than I paid for it. The first vehicle that I made a profit on. Then purchased the GTI. VWs were greatly under valued then, so it was a bargain. Both were great in snow with appropriate rubber.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, got one. I think I mentioned it up thread. 2012 4 cylinder naturally aspirated automatic transmission.
Anyways, as mentioned before, it was an attempt to recapture the Acura Integra feel. It handles corners well. There's a little too much torque in the front wheel, so the front tires lose traction if the accelerator is pressed hard from a stop; yes, even on dry clean pavement. There's been some quality concerns (mentioned before).

I like the capacity of the vehicle. With whisper bars on the roof racks, can carry three bikes on the roof.

Don't have experience with the v6 version.
@Muleski I think my words left the wrong impression. The Acura TSX wagon is a fine vehicle. It's fun to drive, very utilitarian, and (for the most part) very dependable. The quality problems I've had hadn't been visited on a couple other owners that I know. I got unlucky.

I also think it there should have been 6 cyl 6 speed manual option, but that wasn't the world back then. That would have been a really fun car.

My vehicle is still going strong. I don't know what would replace it, if that need should appear. My current thoughts are Toyota RAV4 TRD or Hybrid. Toyota/Lexus has the reliability thing nailed (from my experience with 2 4Runners). But, I'm not abandoning my TSX Wagon just yet.

An update, just had my Goodyear eagles tires replaced with Voque Signature V. Wow, no more slipping at start up with "normal" gas pedal pressure, nor with a heavy foot. This just improved my enjoyment totally. Ride quality and road noise have improved too. Won't know about fuel efficiency for a while, since I'm getting a month or two per tank ;-).

Anyways, didn't know I was so annoyed by the tire issue.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Hands down favorite car...
1970 Mustang Mach 1. Grabber green, 351C, 4 speed, 4.11 gears. Sold it to buy a boat. Wish I still had it.

2nd favorite (for actual daily use):
Owned a 2005 BMW 330i as a daily driver for 10 years until it was totaled by a water truck. 6-speed, sport package, 100% reliable for 190K miles. It made me smile every single time I drove it and I always drove in a way that hopefully helped the rep of BMW drivers (which I know isn't the best).

I miss manual transmissions!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hands down favorite car...
1970 Mustang Mach 1. Grabber green, 351C, 4 speed, 4.11 gears. Sold it to buy a boat. Wish I still had it.

2nd favorite (for actual daily use):
Owned a 2005 BMW 330i as a daily driver for 10 years until it was totaled by a water truck. 6-speed, sport package, 100% reliable for 190K miles. It made me smile every single time I drove it and I always drove in a way that hopefully helped the rep of BMW drivers (which I know isn't the best).

I miss manual transmissions!

With regards to the Mustang: I hate you, in a good way! Any pics?

As to the BMW: I swore I was done with the brand after the 128 I never should have sold, but I'm sniffing around a steal of a deal on a lightly-used 2016 535 GT. The GT is snubbed by the cognescenti, being constructed on a 7 platform, etc., etc., but the utilitarian in me LOVES the idea of a hatchback with the GT's extended-length luggage area. Takes me back to my Saab hatchback days, with dead-flat luggage compartments that were an honest six feet long.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier

As to the BMW: I swore I was done with the brand after the 128 I never should have sold, but I'm sniffing around a steal of a deal on a lightly-used 2016 535 GT. The GT is snubbed by the cognescenti, being constructed on a 7 platform, etc., etc., but the utilitarian in me LOVES the idea of a hatchback with the GT's extended-length luggage area. Takes me back to my Saab hatchback days, with dead-flat luggage compartments that were an honest six feet long.

I lost the digital photos when our PC crashed, but I did find a couple of physical photos that I just scanned. It was great sitting at a red light and seeing the shaker rattle. I can't count the number of thumbs up I got.

I miss the days when cars didn't all look the same.
CCI06092020.jpg

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
A 1969/1970 Mach One was always my dream car. Once I could afford one, I sat in several that were for sale. My head hit the roof in every one. What a bummer.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Best?
The F250 I just sent down the road was pretty well dressed and treated me well. Only 138000 with no major repairs except when it was hit on all 4 sides. Northeast road slurry and the Chineseium replacement parts killed it. It pulled trailers and moved hay like no ones business.
kayakloaded.jpg

Hoping its replacement that I got last night will go longer. It is already scheduled for a undercoating.
truck2020f250.jpeg

The 1990 F150 that I got to replace the 88 F150 that was totaled by a tractor trailer, while at a stop sign, ran 198000 and the ONLY repair other than a standard wear part was a gasket that cost 70.00 installed.

Most fun. 69 corvette convertible.
vetteapt1.jpg

350/300 m22. It went faster than my guardian angel could fly.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Going by total years, miles, and smiles logged, my recently sold '06 Subaru Legacy GT 5-speed wagon has to get the prize for "best I've ever owned," but so far its replacement is looking promising :)

Back in August, after 11 years of very happy ownership, I sold the Subaru and replaced it with a 2015 Volvo V60 R-design. The Volvo in pretty much immaculate shape and came with the Polestar tune, and it definitely boogies; feels like a proper upgrade to the Subaru’s “sleeper wagon” formula (I mean, as much as a ‘Midlife Crisis Red’ paint job can be considered a 'sleeper' :ogbiggrin:). It has its quirks but I’m loving the car overall, and looking forward to logging a lot of ski- and road-trip miles.

Immediate “mods” planned: a spare tire, window tint, and roof box. I also might splurge for one of those ironic Prancing Moose stickers, which I’m told add an extra 10hp per side ;)

SL6-resized.jpg
VolvoInsta1.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I agree, the 535 GT was extremely unappreciated. I briefly looked at one before we settled on the Alltrack. It was very reminiscent of my old Saab 9000 which I loved.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Two of the three that I still own - the 2004 Toyota Tundra 4X4 TRD that I had to special order twice (first one was sold as it was being unloaded by off the truck by crappy dealer). We had a deal with the Southeast distributor for Toyota, so expect he got a little "coaching session" when I had to call and order another from them. This thing just wont stop. just change the fluids and all is good (and the timing belt). although it does not get driven as much anymore, since its not the daily - will probably leave the herd next year.

The second is the 1987 3.2 Carrera that I sold my 2012 Carrera S (which had Sport Chrono/PASM/Sport exhaust/PDK all that junk) to acquire. It has basically half the horsepower of the 991 but is 3x more fun/engaging to drive. Also, reminds me of my youth rallying the 67 Bug around in the snow. Just so simple, quirky, yet darn near perfect. Probably will never leave the herd. I could not afford another one at this level now and feel good driving it as regularly as I do. I feel lucky to have it.

7F6400D8-1CFD-48FF-B0EB-581AF5CAB64E.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It has basically half the horsepower of the 991 but is 3x more fun/engaging to drive.

Couldn't agree more, esp on public roads.

Back to the thread topic of best vehicle. Not the most exciting but after yesterday, I've got to nominate our AWD Sienna with Viking snows. I drove 550 miles, of which 350 was either slush or snow. Unflappable performance!

But certainly not an exciting vehicle.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Back to the thread topic of best vehicle. Not the most exciting but after yesterday, I've got to nominate our AWD Sienna with Viking snows. I drove 550 miles, of which 350 was either slush or snow. Unflappable performance!
One thing that you should know about the Toyota AWD Sienna: There are no tow hooks front or back so a strap thru one of the slotted wheels and then attached to a tow hook is needed.
Here is how I know this:

Driving on snow training for the Aspen and Snowmass police and Pitkin Country Sheriff Dept at the Aspen race track. The Sienna is used for inmate transfers.

Edit: If you look at the second pic, in the background above the middle brake light you can see runs on Buttermilk. The race track is on the flight path of the Aspen Airport which is right beside Buttermilk. I was fortunate to meet the track manager who let me stay in my truck camper at the race track. I got these photos (and a few more) because I took the day off from skiing to watch the Cops Drive on Snow training day.

Attachments

• DSC00181.JPG
    DSC00181.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00188.JPG
    DSC00188.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The funnest car I've driven is the first sunburst yellow Miata we had.
On reliabilty and comfort for road trips the SS Pugski
2008 Yukon XL. Its sad to think that we will have to think about replacing it some time in the next couple years, but at 12 years old and coming up on 180,000 miles, .... :(

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing that you should know about the Toyota AWD Sienna: There are no tow hooks front or back so a strap thru one of the slotted wheels and then attached to a tow hook is needed.

Such an oversight, right?!

Maybe they fixed that on the new version. You know, the one nobody will buy because YOU CAN'T REMOVE THE SECOND ROW SEATS!!!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
2008 Yukon XL. Its sad to think that we will have to think about replacing it some time in the next couple years, but at 12 years old and coming up on 180,000 miles, .... :(

Now you can get one with 6-cyl diesel engine.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
My favorite and most fun to drive: Tesla
But it is a pain to own them in a state where Tesla cannot operate in = no service centers. I depend on mobile technicians to come to my home to fix small issues. Anything they cannot fix, I’d have to drive/tow my cars to CO/AZ/TX.
It is a pain to take long road trips because I have to plan the route out to make sure there are chargers on the way. Charging can also easily add an hour or two extra to the trip. I cannot make last minute trips or take detours. We still have a gas car for emergencies.
Best thing about them is not having to go to the gas station and they are pretty to look at.
89740BA4-E675-4277-96F8-D48F3A8086E5.jpeg
2EBC1E32-CBAC-40B5-9A21-F700ABAFC135.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
That 3.0L GMC straight 6 Duramax with a 10 speed auto transmission is getting strong reviews by auto journalists.

OTOH, the RVer in me favours a Ford Transit AWD van with a twin turbo V6 gas engine. Equip it with a 2nd row seat that converts to a bed and on long trips, one person drives while the other sleeps or pull over along the way for a sleep.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Been drooling over it. I just wish I could get the same deal on one that I got on the one we have now.
I bought it in 2008 when GMC was facing bankruptcy, so the deals on big vehicles was stupid good. I ended up paying close to 20,000.00 less than sticker.
I highly doubt that I'll score a deal like that again.

Sponsor

Staff online