• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Best Beginner Terrain In Colorado

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am working on planning a family ski trip for April 4-11. My wife hasn't skied in 10 years and she had never really progressed beyond green trails out west. Her first week on skis she had a terrible experience at Keystone which was my fault. I took her there on her second day on skis and it was a 3 hour trip down Schoolmarm so she is terrified of that place now. She has done fine at Breck, Alta, and Snowbasin. I like the town of Breckenridge but the mountain not so much. I am thinking Copper is the likely destination because its always been a great mountain for me but I never really paid attention to the green runs there. Are there any other destinations I should be considering like Vail, Beavercreek, or Steamboat?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know your wife nor do I know enough about easy terrain at Colorado resorts, but I do notice you are going in mid April.

I think besides the actual terrain, the more important consideration is how the easier runs, and especially the return to base runs, hold up in spring.

Steamboat is a perfect example where the bottom part of the mountain gets slushy quickly (low altitude for CO, and West facing), and it is a bit steeper anyway. This leads to the runs turning into piles of slush on a sheet of ice. The same thing is common in other areas. Many beginner skiers (rightly) find this terrifying.

So my recommendation is:
  1. Find a resort with good late season conditions (high altitude and north facing terrain)*
  2. Make sure there are north facing, wide, mellow green groomers back to base, or better yet, a downloading option from mid mountain.**
  3. Get her a lesson. In spring conditions change so much throughout the day that local knowledge about which runs will be in good shape at any given time is worth the money in its own right, let alone the confidence and skills she will gain from the actual lesson.

*Here is a good starting point: http://bestsnow.net/latesnow.htm and http://bestsnow.net/fam_ski.htm
** use caltopo.com. Select add item, DEM shading, aspect NW to NE, select ‘add rule’ and it will highlight the north facing terrain. Here is an example from Copper Mountain. Copper certainly seems like one of the best options since the base is high, the mountain generally faces north, and they have good beginner groomers down to the base that are not very heavily used. As well as some nice beginner terrain up high.
AC27F90D-2763-4D7D-9105-A2FC04067F31.jpeg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Schoolmarm is complete hell in my opinion. Long, long, long and a lot of advanced skiers/snowboarders use it to get from one area to another and don't give beginners enough space. When I coached there for a season I hated whenever I had to take my athletes on it. I don't blame her for hating it.

Steamboat would be a good option if it were earlier in the season but April is late for them and likely to be a mess, especially at the bottom. Copper has great beginner terrain and is naturally divided in a way that helps to keep the the more advanced skiers away from the beginners. There's also a great area at the top where the beginner can ski Rendevous lift and more advanced can ski Sierra but it's easy to meet and check in at the base of the lifts should you need/want.

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Silverthorne run off the Quicksilver chair at Breck is about the best beginner run there is. Next to Silverthorne is Frontier and Red Rover. Taking the Red Rover cut off from Silverthorne eliminates the small steep pitch just above the Beaver Run lodge and you come out in exactly the same place.
The lower part of Springmeier is a nice green if the 5 Chair is running but it's a bit of a blue off the top of the Colorado chair.
Once you are comfortable with Silverthorne you can take the Beaver Run chair and go down Bonanza which is a pretty mellow blue.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Cooper (not Copper). All natural snow, wide open trails, arguably one of the better ski schools around at bargain prices and a retro vibe that is real and fun. Plus time spent in Pb (Leadville) will add years to your life. The ONLY negative for a beginner is altitude. Pb is at 10K ft, the ski area as well.

You can ignore the home page banner of 'New Challenging Terrain'. It is a few acres on the back side served by a t-bar. The front side is still, and presumably always will be, beginner heaven.

If you do end up in Summit County and want to learn how to like Breck, let me know. I wouldn't say it is paticularly good for beginners, though, although midweek in non-holiday periods there is plenty of beginner terrain that isn't overcrowded.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I would put in a plug for Granby Ranch but they will be closing the day of, or the weekend before, your arrival. It's a lower elevation area and things start melting fast after mid-March. The run called Buckhorn there is about as easy as it gets and the whole place has a very family-friendly vibe to it.

Otherwise, Copper would be a good choice. Stay with the stuff on the far west end and it ought to be pretty good for her.

James

Out There
Instructor
Schoolmarm is complete hell in my opinion.
I’ve only skied Keystone for a few hours. With @Tricia some years ago. I think I remember Schoolmarm as having tight corners and people at all different speeds and abilities plus park rats doing their thing. It’s a highway to somewhere else?

Once the night session started, that trail under the gondola was a total swarm of ants. Maybe the most crowded trail I’ve seen.

Buttermilk at Aspen/Snowmass is incredibly uncrowded for beginner/internediate friendly terrain. Can’t say if it’s true beginner terrain. You are pushing the envelope with April 4-11.
@Mike King or @Nancy Hummel could.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am working on planning a family ski trip for April 4-11. My wife hasn't skied in 10 years and she had never really progressed beyond green trails out west. Her first week on skis she had a terrible experience at Keystone which was my fault. I took her there on her second day on skis and it was a 3 hour trip down Schoolmarm so she is terrified of that place now. She has done fine at Breck, Alta, and Snowbasin. I like the town of Breckenridge but the mountain not so much. I am thinking Copper is the likely destination because its always been a great mountain for me but I never really paid attention to the green runs there. Are there any other destinations I should be considering like Vail, Beavercreek, or Steamboat?

Beaver Creek, bar none.

The Beginner terrain is at the top of the Mountain and the views are spectacular. The groomed snow is most of the time in great shape. It is a bit colder up there but they added a new high speed quad that serves that terrain. (Where the old Drink of Water lift was). You can also download from mid mountain using the Gondola (well, chondola) if you want to avoid crowded catwalks late in the day.

Next would be Copper. The whole right side of the resort is basically beginner terrain. It is lower on the mountain but it basically eliminates issues with expert skiers going through since most will be in other parts of the mountain. It is still at very high elevation with a northern exposure.

Steamboat is right up there too since the top right side of the hill, served by the sunshine Express Lift, is super easy mellow terrain with great snow and views. Getting there though, is not that easy. The bottom section of the mtn should be pretty icy late in the season and coverage thin.

Mid April is a bit late in the year to go unless it is a stellar season like the last one.

Last edited:
TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve only skied Keystone for a few hours. With @Tricia some years ago. I think I remember Schoolmarm as having tight corners and people at all different speeds and abilities plus park rats doing their thing. It’s a highway to somewhere else?

Once the night session started, that trail under the gondola was a total swarm of ants. Maybe the most crowded trail I’ve seen.

Buttermilk at Aspen/Snowmass is incredibly uncrowded for beginner/internediate friendly terrain. Can’t say if it’s true beginner terrain. You are pushing the envelope with April 4-11.
@Mike King or @Nancy Hummel could.

We're stuck with the school spring break. Next school year its back to the last week of March.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm with @Doug Briggs -- if you end up at Copper or Breck generally (I think Copper is the best overall choice here) -- a day taking a break and skiing Cooper with your wife will be fun. Two main lifts, all mild terrain, no crowds, great snow, chill vibe.

Plus there are good eats in Pb and it is a real mountain town. Not a tourist / resort hub like Breck.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Buttermilk at Aspen/Snowmass is incredibly uncrowded for beginner/internediate friendly terrain. Can’t say if it’s true beginner terrain.

Another vote here for Buttermilk. Top notch grooming and lots of beginner terrain.

Powder skiing tip: On a powder day all the Bros. are at Aspen Mtn, and Highlands and all the Intermediates are at Snowmass. Meanwhile at Buttermilk the Beginners are on the Green groomed runs while the Black runs are untouched by man or machine.

I have skied boot top to shin deep powder all day long at Buttermilk and it still wasn't skied out in a day. So if it snows the OP can spend the morning making sure his wife is comfortable with what and where she is skiing and then leave her and go ski fresh untracked snow over on the Buttermilk's Black runs in the afternoon.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
From personal experience, Beaver Creek and Copper are by far the two best beginner mountains of Colorado's I-70 resorts. (And in the country, from what I've heard.)

Between the two:
  • The advantage of Beaver Creek is that the greens are at the top of the mountain, which gives beginners a rare chance to feel "on top of the world" with fantastic views, which seems to be one of the big things that attracts most people to skiing.
  • The advantage of Copper is the naturally divided terrain, so advanced skiers won't blow past the beginners. (Although Beaver Creek has this effect on the new Red Buffalo lift - most advanced skiers stay off that part of the mountain)
Can't really go wrong with either. Personally I'd split the hairs based on other factors, like lodging and other activities your wife may be interested in.

April is a risk, but BC and Copper both are among the better April bets due to their high elevations and orientation.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quality of snow is VERY important. Even if the runs are laid out perfectly, if the snow is slushy or icy (ie spring conditions) then it will be difficult for her.

I don't know the beginner area at BC, but the fact that it is high on the mountain and you have the option of downloading, makes it sound like a good bet. The base altitude is higher at Copper and Winter Park. @Magi is a terrific instructor and WP does have a very good beginner area with its own lifts at mid-mountain. But that may be too beginner for your wife and the remaining greens can be quite steep.

You didn't mention lessons, but I also strongly recommend considering lessons and investigating the quality of the ski school. It is such a huge temptation for a SO (vs a teacher) to, in their enthusiasm, push the envelope and not allow a beginner to own the level they've attained before moving them up.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another vote here for Buttermilk. Top notch grooming and lots of beginner terrain.

Powder skiing tip: On a powder day all the Bros. are at Aspen Mtn, and Highlands and all the Intermediates are at Snowmass. Meanwhile at Buttermilk the Beginners are on the Green groomed runs while the Black runs are untouched by man or machine.

I have skied boot top to shin deep powder all day long at Buttermilk and it still wasn't skied out in a day. So if it snows the OP can spend the morning making sure his wife is comfortable with what and where she is skiing and then leave her and go ski fresh untracked snow over on the Buttermilk's Black runs in the afternoon.

SSSSSSSHHHHHHH. People aren't supposed to know this. :nono:

Buttermilk West has some beautiful novice terrain and is usually very uncrowded.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
While I don't mind the suggestions of Copper Mountain and Beaver Creek, I think Buttermilk beats them both. However, Telluride is the best beginner skiing in all of Colorado and perhaps anywhere.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
T-Ride does have superb beginner terrain. But April? Last year was a banner snow season and they closed April 7th.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
T-Ride does have superb beginner terrain. But April? Last year was a banner snow season and they closed April 7th.

Same w Buttermilk, it generally closes after the first week in April. Copper starts closing terrain then even though it stays open, so that would be something to check.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Same w Buttermilk, it generally closes after the first week in April. Copper starts closing terrain then even though it stays open, so that would be something to check.

I am guessing that the closures are similar to what happens in the B.C. Interior: All of the resorts close in mid April due to lack of customers, not lack of snow. Still a closure is a closure.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
The base altitude is higher at Copper and Winter Park. @Magi is a terrific instructor and WP does have a very good beginner area with its own lifts at mid-mountain. But that may be too beginner for your wife and the remaining greens can be quite steep.

I would think a beginner would quite happy with Winter Park. The High Lonesome and Olympia express lifts would fit the bill quite well. Sunnyside has lots of easy blues that would be green at Keystone. Village way off Panarama is quite green-like too.

Sponsor

Staff online