• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best adjustable ski poles

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I need some new poles. I always use the basic aluminum poles - and they work fine but always bend or break each season. So I am looking for a better ski pole that might last. I was Looking at Grass Sticks but I see a lot of folks using adjustable poles and I am curious. I like the idea of being able to adjust the length as needed but unsure of durability , etc....

Thanks in advance for the education!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Suggestions:

-Black Diamond Traverse for adjustable.

-GrassSticks for fixed length.

Both were recommended to me, and I/family have been happy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been a big fan of LEKI of late. I also like Atomic's BC pole with integrated screwdriver and Pozidrive

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about BEST, but I have a few thoughts. I like adjustables; while I have a usual length, I find I do vary it a surprising amount depending on situations.
1. Look at Sierra Trading Post and google for lowest prices. There's a lot of variation.
2. Look for fold-over locks rather than twist-locks; I've had both and twists always seem to come loose or get frozen/stuck.
I bought a new pair of Komperdells this winter for $48 from Sunny Sports. Perfectly adequate and light enough for me.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I use adjustable poles extensively for touring. I think they make sense there. The Black Diamond Expedition and the LEKI Haute Route are the two most durable I've found based on a) lots of internet research b) talking to lots of guides/tourers c) use in the field.

I don't think adjustable poles make much sense for skiing inbounds. Unless you're a very high performance skier who feels they need a different length for bumps vs piste vs off piste. Frankly, ain't no one got the time to adjust for exactly the run you're skiing.

I have found composite poles (i.e. carbon) to be pretty darn durable. compared to alloy poles which I too easily bend doing dumb things. I'm sure one day they'll explode on me though.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What jmeb said. Also curious: bending and breaking standard aluminum poles EVERY year?? That seems .... excessive. Have you noticed your medical bills seem unusually high? Do you need to replace your helmet as frequently?? ;)

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
What jmeb said. Also curious: bending and breaking standard aluminum poles EVERY year?? That seems .... excessive. Have you noticed your medical bills seem unusually high? Do you need to replace your helmet as frequently?? ;)

Well I have had my share of medical issues skiing (Shoulder and knee) but really I mostly bend them every year and most times they start to crack at the bend.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
LEKI is vertically integrated - which\ means that they do most of their production in house. BD contracts close to 100% out. IN many respects, BD is a marketing / distribution firm when it comes to skiing. BD and LEKI's composite shafts come out of the same factory in China. LEKI QA is dialed.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know about BEST, but I have a few thoughts. I like adjustables; while I have a usual length, I find I do vary it a surprising amount depending on situations.
1. Look at Sierra Trading Post and google for lowest prices. There's a lot of variation.
2.Look for fold-over locks rather than twist-locks; I've had both and twists always seem to come loose or get frozen/stuck.
I bought a new pair of Komperdells this winter for $48 from Sunny Sports. Perfectly adequate and light enough for me.

Bolded for truth,

LEKI's BC pole is good. I have some 5 y.o. or older BD Alu/Carbon poles which I like.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thread drift
I have been using a LEKI aluminum with trigger grip and would have a hard time going away from the trigger.
Today was the second time I’ve dumped it and landed on the pole bending it about halfway up. A quick knee straightening and I’m back at it.
Looking at the carbon-aluminum pole and know the carbon would be nice for the lower 1/3 that is bent just from skiing, I wonder how high the carbon goes as it seems bending aluminum around my hip might be better for me than carbon.
Can someone tell me how much of the LEKI carbon-aluminum is carbon?

A-Mark

Booting up
Skier
Sierra trading post has the DPS Nori pole (Titanal and carbon adjustable) for $59 right now.