• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Bentgate AT Gear Demo at Loveland

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Today was the Bentgate Mountaineering Demo day at Loveland and it was awesome. My main goal today was to test backcountry skis in the 100mm range and different types of AT bindings. (I am 6-2 185 lb, I used my Hawx Ultra XTD 120 boots (27.5 , 312mm bsl) with the stock liners, Conditions were soft groomers, some fresh powder on top, chopped up powder and soft bumps, cold, about 15ºF)

1. FACTION 2.0 Prime 184cm (98mm wide) w/ DYNAFIT Radical 2.0 Demo bindings

This was the first ski I took out and right away the ski felt pretty loose but not chattery, once on edge it had pretty good stability. It's loose and turny/pivoty when you want it / need it but can still hold a decent edge and carve well when you / need want that. Its a very versatile ski. Did not feel long at all. I am pretty familiar with the Dynafits since I own a pair of Radical 2.0 FTs which are almost identical to these. They feel solid but are a bit tricky to step into for those not used to them.

IMG_3230.JPG

2. BLIZZARD Zero G95 185cm (95mm wide) w/ MARKER Kingpin 10 Demo Bindings.

This ski felt really good right away, wow. Awesome edgehold and pretty smooth feel on snow. Definitely does not feel like a light ski. It is quite stable but still fun although it is definitely on the "serious" side of the ski spectrum. Handled speed very well. skied true to length. The bindings felt good, secure and had decent dampness. Stepping in the toe is super easy, the rear requires a tad more effort. It is a work of art though. I personally prefer the ease and simplicity of the dynafit style rotating rear piece. I have to mention that these were the demo version of the Kingpins, so they were much heavier than the regular Kingpin binding.

IMG_3234.JPG

3. G3 ROAMr 100 182cm (100mm wide) w/ G3 ION 12 bindings:

This was my favorite ski setup of the day for dual duty or even mostly backcountry use. It felt awesome right away. Smooth and damp. I could ski them at the resort all day no problem. They held a good edge and offered good performance in all the snow conditions I encountered. Easy to ski. I loved the ION bindings. They were super easy to step into the toe and the rear felt solid. They did not feel harsh at all, super smooth although the skis probably had a lot to do with that. The setup felt dialed. I would definitely buy it. I really liked their line of products.

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

4. DYNAFIT Beast 98 184cm (98mm wide) w/ Dynafit ST Rotation bindings.

These skis did not feel right. I think they were in need of a tune and wax (they felt slower and sticky on the snow). Trying to see through that the skis are akin to the Blizzard Zero G95's. They are definitely directional skis with a hard snow bias in the realm of powder skis. Solid edge hold. Pretty stiff which was nice. The ST Rotation bindings felt and are very similar to my Radicals but the detent stop in the rotating toe pice helps somewhat when stepping into the binding.

5. Salomon QST 92 185cm w/ Salomon Warden 13 Demo bindings (Alpine!).

Ok, this is not an AT setup but I had some time so I took these out for a lap. Woah, these felt nice of course after demoing a bunch of pretty light AT setups and then getting into these which with the demo bindings are just much heavier than all the previous skis I demoed. That said, when compared to other damp skis I know and love these felt really good. Much more stable, damp and secure than the previous generation of Salomon QSTs. I had the same feeling last season when I demoed the new 2019 QST 106. skied true to length no doubt.

SURPRISE of the event for me, well there were two, but gear wise:

FISCHER Ranger Free 130 Boot. I would buy this boot. The walking mode mechanism is just awesome. Super simple and easy to use. The top two buckles are also unique in that they also lock in the forward position which is something I have never seen. The boots feel about as light as my Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120's and they had an awesome tongue liner that should serve you well while touring but still offer support in the resort. Laces can be added and a rear spoiler as well. Fit is quite similar to my Atomics, maybe 1-2mm more room given equal sizes. The boot looks great as well!

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

Ok, the second surprise... the WESTON Trailer, I know I know, they make snowboards but man this thing was cool inside and out!

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool! Thanks for the write up.
What do you mean :buckles lock in forward position”?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks Ken. That Fischer boot is my #1 contender for picking up a touring capable boot. I really think that's the one for me and it's good to hear your feedback. I'm going for a fitting tomorrow.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks Ken. That Fischer boot is my #1 contender for picking up a touring capable boot. I really think that's the one for me and it's good to hear your feedback. I'm going for a fitting tomorrow.

I was impressed. I tried the 27.5 and the 26.5 and I would go for the 26.5 even though I fit great in my 27.5 Hawx XTD. The Fischers have a tad more room. I would need to have some work done in the toe area though. It was tight for me, specially to tour in the 26.5. Everywhere else it fit great.

The touring mechanism is just superb.

Report back when you try them!

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Cool! Thanks for the write up.
What do you mean :buckles lock in forward position”?

When you pull the buckles forward they "click" and stay in the forward position and dont just stay loose like all other buckles. Its a nifty feature that should help when in touring mode.

Sponsor

Staff online