• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Benefits of ussa points for 1st yr FIS racers?

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
my son is a 2nd yr u16 racing at an academy in the East
Now that I have finally figured out ussa points along comes FIS and a whole new set of questions
There has been some discussion of needing to get ussa points down to get into fis races next fall but I’m not sure what the real deal is
He races in NY so points are a bit harder to come by than in VT
How low does he need to get to get in fis races?
He scored really well at speed week and heard a low Sg ranking can help even get into SL but i question if that is accurate
My best guess by his recent strong skiing is he will end season close to 90 to 100 in GS, 125 in SG and 135 -150 in SL

We are trying to decide if it’s worth it to do a proposed trip to CO in spring to chase points that will cost 2grand

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can’t answer but I’d only do it if the time and money are not an issue. Some races have good points, but not what they used to be. Probably most beneficial for a high point U14 or U16. If he can show up and get a good result it can help, but personally I think traveling to chase points is often a losing battle. You can do it, but it’s not cheap. I can’t tell you who will be at the races. DU is a good guess for Loveland. Not sure about Vail, not sure UNM will be back after last year. The issue with these races is there isn’t much to be gained for low point skiers. For the race not to by flagged by USSA, low point skiers have to ski full gas. There is no incentive for them to come and risk injury just to lend their points to a race. Each year this becomes more clear and low point skiers are more reluctant to come.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm sure it's for quota decisions. So it would vary depending on what the other kids in the division have as points. Maybe there's twenty kids competing for a spot at a regional race and there's only four spots for your division. So he needs to be ranked fourth or better to make the quota. Ranking lists are released throughout the season, there's maybe six (?) per season. I'm guessing the dates are on the US Ski and Snowboard site somewhere.
How low does he need to get to get in fis races?

Last edited:
TS
Zski

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
I can’t answer but I’d only do it if the time and money are not an issue. Some races have good points, but not what they used to be. Probably most beneficial for a high point U14 or U16. If he can show up and get a good result it can help, but personally I think traveling to chase points is often a losing battle. You can do it, but it’s not cheap. I can’t tell you who will be at the races. DU is a good guess for Loveland. Not sure about Vail, not sure UNM will be back after last year. The issue with these races is there isn’t much to be gained for low point skiers. For the race not to by flagged by USSA, low point skiers have to ski full gas. There is no incentive for them to come and risk injury just to lend their points to a race. Each year this becomes more clear and low point skiers are more reluctant to come.

U14s don’t race for points and never have since the J era ended and the U era started

At the risk starting a hu ha it is somewhat common knowledge that points in Rocky Mt tend to be lower than in the East and an eastern fast academy racer can do pretty well at these spring races Point wise. I’m just trying to understand if that will be worth the expense. This would come at the expense of not doing a fall camp.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
U14s don’t race for points and never have since the J era ended and the U era started

At the risk starting a hu ha it is somewhat common knowledge that points in Rocky Mt tend to be lower than in the East and an eastern fast academy racer can do pretty well at these spring races Point wise. I’m just trying to understand if that will be worth the expense. This would come at the expense of not doing a fall camp.

U14s race for points in CO.

Rocky Mtn vs. VT/NH/NY USSS points are. ... not necessarily better. If you look at the CO USSS races this year, the vast majority of them have penalties in the 80-100 range, with a couple in the 50s. Those with low penalties were at Winter Park these past couple days, and, I'm betting, the field was better because there's a FIS series on the same hill this weekend.

A fast eastern academy skier can do well at these races because they're going to be one of the better skiers on the hill. It's not worth chasing USSS points if the goal is to get into FIS races. The proliferation of Open FIS and Devo FIS series in the east means it's not as hard to get into FIS races to develop a profile. Talk to your athlete's coach. S/he has a better sense of what is necessary and best for your kid than we do.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do the fall camp. I can’t tell you whether it’s worth it or not, but the academies are pretty convinced of it. IMO not all lanes/lane opportunities are of equal value. If he does the Colorado thing in the fall, see what race opportunities are available then. It’s an extra expense, but he’s already here.

If there is budget for it, I think the ideal program is a couple weeks in the summer and then start as early in the fall as you can. Spend the rest of the time on an explosive strength and balance focused dryland program. Chasing points gets expensive.

TS
Zski

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
U14s race for points in CO.

Rocky Mtn vs. VT/NH/NY USSS points are. ... not necessarily better. If you look at the CO USSS races this year, the vast majority of them have penalties in the 80-100 range, with a couple in the 50s. Those with low penalties were at Winter Park these past couple days, and, I'm betting, the field was better because there's a FIS series on the same hill this weekend.

A fast eastern academy skier can do well at these races because they're going to be one of the better skiers on the hill. It's not worth chasing USSS points if the goal is to get into FIS races. The proliferation of Open FIS and Devo FIS series in the east means it's not as hard to get into FIS races to develop a profile. Talk to your athlete's coach. S/he has a better sense of what is necessary and best for your kid than we do.

How can U14 race for Ussa points? U14 are youth members not competitors for the purpose of dues.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are scored and non scored races. U14s basically race as U16s. So that is the SYNC races, scored GS Spectacular, scored Loveland Derby (there is also non-scored spectacular and derby for U10-U14). The idea is allowing the U14s to start U16 with a point profile and also see how they match up. Age class is still all non-scored including the U14 only races.​

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
How can U14 race for Ussa points? U14 are youth members not competitors for the purpose of dues.
In Northern Division, the kids need Competitors licenses and some of their races are scored. The YSL referred to below is Youth Ski League:

"PLEASE NOTE: In Northern Division, athletes need a Competitor's License even for our "YSL" events. Since the events we call "YSL" are, in fact, U.S. Ski & Snowboard sanctioned alpine events, even when they are not scored, a competitor license for the appropriate age is required. This is confusing, admittedly. The exception is for USCSA athletes competing in our one USCSA/U.S.Ski & Snowboard event. Forerunners may use a General Membership, however, as they are not competing. "

Here they allow U14's to "ski up" if they sign a waiver.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Sorry about the length of this....I got carried away........

One family's opinion, much like BGreen's and S.H. And based on a lot of history, and current experience, I would somewhat debate the "Common knowledge" of East versus West. Been reasonably familiar with both. Your opinion of what goes on in other regions is always tainted by where you are! Serious "grass is greener......" Been there.

USSA points and the process vary by region. Rocky Central , Intermountain and West all, I believe, all begin to have seeded races and build USSA point profiles as U14's. Always been an issue for Easterners to “debate.”

I've lived through this as an athlete, a coach, the parent of two serious racers, who are now serious adult coaches following NCAA careers. Full time, year round, in big intense Western clubs. One in Rocky, one in Far West. Coaching this age group. Both grew up in the East, as academy kids, BTW. Both id PG year{s} in other programs. And Regions.

This may be more about the general idea and thoughts round chasing points than the specific logic of closing out your U16 years with the lowest possible points to advantage getting on the starting list in as many FIS races {or the perceived "best" races} as a first year FIS skier. So please bear with me. This will be long winded.

One thing absolutely "gets your points down", and it is skiing faster, and finishing better. If your child does that, the points will just happen. I have seen it first hand with the kids that one of mine coaches, his having coached them as U16's and into their first couple of FIS years. These are kids now in the USST system, and a couple are actually scoring WC points. He did not even begin to be concerned with their points until they we IN their first FIS year. And yep, the fastest kids finished best, and their point profiles dropped faster than others. Many of the parents had to learn that. The more experienced the parents, the easier. At one point he had a training contact group of six and all but one had one parent who had made a WC start. They got it. No issues of “why aren’t we going here, there and everywhere.”

Chasing points is, IME and IMO, largely a non starter. Now more than ever. If anything, it teaches your kids just how damn fast the guys and girls who make the 15-25 point penalties actually are. I recall back when fields were bigger that our son, who had cleaned up at his J3 JO's, started dead last in his first NorAm and finished....with about a 150 point result. He already had about a 75 point FIS profile, maybe lower. He learned just how hard it is to score in these big events. It happens when you have had a big breakthrough in your skiing....maybe. In other words getting on the starting list at low penalty FIS Races as a first or second year FIS skier is no great bargain.

As a parent, based on some really dumb coach plans, we did it all. Spring series in CO, Spring speed series at Mammoth. Spring FIS Super Serie in Canada. Eastern Cup Finals, NorAms, NorAm Finals, NCAA carnivals, Alyeska, A LOT in Canada, Lutsen, Iceland some Europe. The full Continental Cup series in NZ and Australia in the summer. Speed races in Chile. When they were older, and fast, some of those made sense. In the first couple of years, they were essentially going along and making the trip more affordable for everybody. More kids paying more coach expense.

The worst expense were two years in a row at a NorAm speed series at then Big Mountain. In the two years, they got in ONE training run. Bowled a lot. Cost about $8K.

Now when they were younger, trying to work on their best possible USSA points, there were some races that absolutely worked. Late Spring. The UNH fundraiser at Loon. The Spring series at Sugarloaf and Sunday River, and Shawnee Peak with the Colby and Bates teams skiing, and very small fields. Smaller fields, with enough good skiers to calculate a low penalty worked, generally speaking. IF the young athlete delivered.

Now in CO, I know that at some of these spring races, the occasional Narional team, college AA, or WC skier will enter a few USSA races. OK, the penalties come down. But if you have a skier who is a legit 7-8 point skier, and he skis reasonably well, what every kid will be moaning about is how "he ruined the points." Most don't back it down as it's not that easy. And standing up, throwing in a nice slide or a few turns before the finish can get the athlete sanctioned and the entire race results thrown out these days. As. It. Is. Cheating.....

My experience is that parents and kids see low penalties, see what some other kids scored, and assume that it would/could have just happened. When in reality the kids who seem to be "scoring" have in fact made those big breakthroughs in their skiing.

Now there were a few races that really paid off in the FIS world. Specifically, when the academy kids had been training MORE in the fall, and were more on top of their game and dialed in than the college kids. Sunday River would hold two womens FIS SL's. We had one kid who had raced on that hill, top and bottom since she was seven year old J5. They would set a SL that had roughly a 45 send run, which is a "money slot" for race points. The hill was such that the times were stacked. The college girls, by and large were not deep in numbers and not gunning. There were some big gains made that weekend, which carried a few girls through the season. Every year people would bitch about it, but the girls who scored well were consistently scoring in that range as the season unfolded. In Maine, there is also a FIS series for guys before Christmas. It can work out for some, but not so much for the 990's in the back. Regardless of your USSA points you're starting FIS at 990.

Our kids raced in NCAA carnivals before they were in college. Never once scored. The penalties look awesome. They you learn how they determine starting order for the college athletes. First starters based on prior carnival results, then they go to FIS points. The courses tend to deteriorate a lot, fast. And in GS, the guys ski after the girls, so the groove is in the wrong place! It's no bargain. In fact improving your points in carnival racing in college is a rarity. Some do. Some do not. To keep your points or improve them, you need a few other FIS starts, and finishes. Points are almost of no concern for most of them at that point.....only for the few who aspire to continue and press toward the USST.

Do you think Mikaela ever "chased points?" No. She was carefully managed to refine her skiing and skills. Fewer starts. Of curse we all know how unusual she was. We get that. But Kirk Dwyer was not having his J3's go nuts trying to build USSA point profiles. I think he was wise.

I recall when our son was a PG, in the Intermountain Region {he was an Eastern academy kid before}, and he went to B.C. for some early season tech races. He was dusted by some very young, fast Canadian kids, starting way back. Erik Read was one. They were breaking through. Our son skied real well and was about 10 points above his profile. But the young, to be stars in the sport started far back and finished real well. It always happens.

I remember when he was racing in Ontario. Skiing pretty well, in college. He finished second in two SL races that would have been good results. Penalty was about 25. Back when penalties and points tended to be higher. However, the winner was a guy whose points were going to drop from the 40's to about 15 on the next list, and he was carrying all of that 15 point speed. Was shortly put on the CAST. Bottom line is that he was a 40 point skier in the calculation, and the race points were off the charts as he won each run by a second and a half or more. So our son had a couple of 50ish results. No help. If this guy had NOT been there, the penalties would have been almost the same, and assuming our son has skied the same, he might have had two 25 point results. Huge. So, it all looked great until this kid happened to be entered. That stuff happens. It just does. Nothing to "do about it." His coach was bitching the minute he saw the kid added to the board at the seed meeting.

I just don't think you can plot this out. Our son, now the pretty sage coach, pushes a lot of sound fundamentals, a lot of purposeful free skiing, the right amount of training, and race starts that make sense. And if the kids are improving, they get results. It happens. And there is NO huge rush. It's a long game.

Now depending on how the Eastern Region handles quotas to get into some FIS starts, it could make a bit of difference, I guess. However as @S.H. mentions, there are many more FIS Entry races on the calendar than ever. And I believe that those are pretty much wide open. Doesn't Whiteface host a couple a season? When our kids were in the game, thee were none of those, so you fought the rock fight climbing up the ladder in Eastern Cups. Slow and steady. And for some really talented younger skiers, demoralizing. Sadly so. Many pushed into those starts too early. The FIS Entry races are a great thing. For many reasons.

I don't know. I hear my son dispensing the advice to a lot of parents and kids, including those who ask him even though he no longer coaches their kids and is in a different program. If you want lower points, ski better and faster. Don't obsess over it.

As BGeeen says, the penalties and sanctions for working the system are a lot worse and stiffer than in the past. At one point there were some notorious USSA races in the spring in New York. One year a handful of second year J2's were at the top of the results in four races, and based on how the races had been manipulated, and “thrown”, they all ended up with lower USSA GS points than people like Ligety, the guy who won NCAA's, and others. They were suddenly the top ranked in their age group in the country, and it was a nit so funny joke. USSA did nothing, as they didn't know what to do. All hell broke loose over the summer and into the fall. The net result was that the kids felt like idiots as you can’t fake a solid 65 point skier being a 38 point skier. The good news, they were very average to mediocre FIS skiers for a long time. One, as I recall, sort of caught fire before and during college. Skied real well. Even then, at age 23-24, seven or eight years later he wouid catch crap for that one race. Most good natured. It was all done to try to "help" them get into FIS races, by their coaches and program. The Eastern office, which controlled all FIS entries at that point, pretty much altered the pecking order to correct for it. You can see why their coaches complaining got them nowhere. Of course the entry method of getting on the start lists was not so egalitarian then, either. It's changed.

That crap can't go on to that degree these days. Sanctions have more teeth in them.

So, yeah. Ski faster, better. Some kids do have that after a breakthrough late season in spring races after a season of hard work. East and West. And sometimes a lot of luck comes into play.

When FIS skiers, our family went on a really great fun run, when between the two of them, they finished between 31 and 35 in first runs in about a dozen straight starts, or so it seemed. It was no fun. They were skiing really fast sections, and making plenty mistakes. A month later, they were well into the flip. And had big point drops. Takes two results. The mistakes were less frequent with one. The other was really fast in those sections.

Now without knowing the facts, you could look at those results and think...well that kid went to that race with a low penalty and look at the result. The fact is that they were showing speed that might have been 20 points “faster” than their profiles suggested. It was the skiing, not some scheduling master plan.

Speed points. Our kids never really dropped until they were starting outside the US, and in NorAms, and skiing well enough to make significant moves. Speed points are IMO not a big issue until you're racing NorAms.

Points East vs West? There are a LOT of screaming fast kids in the West, and in Rocky. I won't get into names and programs, but knowing " a few of them", and seeing those kids ski at events like U16 and U19 nationals, the fast kids ski fast, wherever they are from. East and West. Has nothing to do with plotting to chase points, IMO. And when the college kids in CO show up, the younger kids get their eyes opened.

I’m in the camp that it will all take care of itself if the athlete/kid works to be fit, agile, stronger, more explosive. If the kid is coachable and develops better skills, and then if the kid can begin to incorporate real tactics as introduced by the coaches. As my son says, very often there is SO MUCH to work on before getting wrapped up in tactics. Nothing like parents, particularly ones who have done some coaching, to be asking about tactics.

My son just had a group at a FIS speed series and he was chuckling with me, saying that he’s still working on the same basic stuff, as they need to get it down. And these kids are pretty solid. Hands up, elbows in, set up good deliberate turns. Progressively crush the outside boot. And pay attention to the these three money turns in the set, kids. Let me suggest that it sounds like listening and paying attention was a lot more of a factor than wax. And tactics...yes, developing.

I would spend the money on QUALITY on snow time and training. For example, I would skip Hood. Being in the East, hopefully your son’s program is looking at Europe. Cheaper and better. Two weeks in Saas Fee in the summer is a seriously great experience, as one example. Among other things you see how disciplined {and good} the national team athletes are. Every singe run.

NZ is incredibly expensive. And some think they give away results and points there. They don’t. If you are that good, later on, and all the stars align, you might get a couple career results. By the same token some athletes spend 5 summer seasons and $50K and never see them.I know many. many more of the former than the latter.

I would not be concerned. At all. I'd presume his coaches will have him skiing a lot of USSA next season, and the FIS races that make sense. And as he skis after, and finishes more consistently and improves his FIS profile and start positions, doing more FIS.

It's a long road. And sorry to be so long winded.

Have fun and good luck to your son. Hope he has a ton of fun as well.

TS
Zski

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
Mule thanks for the long answer
Lots of wisdom there

As for U14s scoring puts that may explain why it seems like RM u16 points seem lower than eastern kids of similar speed as they have had a couple more seasons of points

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you want lower points, ski better and faster.

Haha, yes. I wasn’t going to be that blunt, but I’m glad you were.

That crap can't go on to that degree these days. Sanctions have more teeth in them.

Let me clarify that. It is possible for points to get adjusted, it’s also possible for the entire race to get thrown out. If the college kids ski at 90% you as ROC and the athlete will both be getting calls from USSS. Ask me how I know. After what transpired last year, they will be a lot less likely to ski these spring races.

Muleski

Inactive
Haha, yes. I wasn’t going to be that blunt, but I’m glad you were.

Let me clarify that. It is possible for points to get adjusted, it’s also possible for the entire race to get thrown out. If the college kids ski at 90% you as ROC and the athlete will both be getting calls from USSS. Ask me how I know. After what transpired last year, they will be a lot less likely to ski these spring races.

Glad to be my usually frank self, BG!

I am not totally on top of recent sanctions, and races being thrown out. Like the last year. But over the last few years, there have been some strong actions taken, at least here in the East. I'm reasonably sure that college skiers throwing races, with the lowest point skiers finishing 7th, 8th and 9th, is not going to be happening. In fact, I may have spoken too soon as I think there is very little interest in the NCAA crowd skiing in those USSA races these days. Which is too bad.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
As noted above, the simple answer is that skiing faster = better points. You can get into the weeds trying to work the system, but USS has effectively closed most (if not all) loopholes, and it's really not worth the time and effort.

The only time I can think of that equation will fail, aside from skiing progression not yet reflected in results, is if an athlete is finishing at the top of a race series and never stepping up to the next level, or if a handful of athletes in a geographically isolated series are doing so nor getting into other series, thus creating an effective minimum penalty that doesn't accurately reflect the speed of those to finishers.

I've been coaching for something in the neighborhood of 15 years, including stints in Maine, Vermont and Montana, and I think the only place I've seen a material disreptancy in points versus results was in downhill, where there simply aren't enough skiers anymore to maintain a point base at the state/regional level. The one DH we had while I was working in Montana had a horrendous penalty, in large part because most of the field didn't have any downhill finishes, and I don't think the points earned matched the level of skiing (then again, given the sorry state of the downhill point base in general these days, perhaps they did).

You're not going to have those problems in an Eastern academy program. While there are possibly some differences in what "120-point skiing" looks like in New York vs Vermont is New Hampshire vs Maine at the USSA level, all of those state-level series feed the same entry-level (and higher-level) FIS series, so if the top ten guys in New York suddenly get quicker, the NY USSA penalties will reflect that within a couple of list updates, because they'll bring home better points from the FIS series.

In ye olden days, it was possible for a handful of racers to go out of state to a giveaway and come back with points they couldn't match all year. The current efforts by USS to squash penalty manipulation have largely, if not entirely, eliminated that issue (as well as the parallel issue of those "I can't match them" points providing preferential seeding and/or access to higher-level races).

U14s earning points is another kettle of fish; I thought it worked well in Montana, but I can see the concerns with people getting too focused on results vis a vis points at an age where that focus is not helpful developmentally.

TS
Zski

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
Thanks for all the wisdom

I think it might be best to save the camp money for a fall one

Putting point pressure on U14s doesn’t make much sense to me and it could accelerate the drop out rate

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I may have spoken too soon as I think there is very little interest in the NCAA crowd skiing in those USSA races these days. Which is too bad.

There's been a fair amount of it this season and last.

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
Re: U14s scoring points in the east:
The Eastern Alpine Competition Committee (EACC) passed a proposal from the Childrens Committee (ECRC) to Allow 2nd year U14s in the east to score to the National Point List, effective for the 2018-19 season. This is the ratified proposal:

"To allow 2nd year U14s to ski for points. Southern Divisions, (TRISTATE, NJSRA, PARA, SARA), beginning March 1st, and the remaining divisions (MARA, NHARA, VARA, NYSRRA) after Eastern Championships.

Points will not be used for any U14 selections or seeding at any non scored U14 race.

No out-of-region scored racing, except for U14s attending U16 Nationals.

No out of division scored racing during the “regular season” for U14’s.”

Muleski

Inactive
NCAA racer participation in USSA races is all over the map. Pretty close to this. It's probably "strongest" in the East, and within the East, in VT. Proximity, and ease of travel....also some teams nearby have pretty big rosters, so the kids might like an extra race start or two. What I hear, and have for a few years, is that as the quality of the upper reaches of the NCCA strengthens, there's not much to be gained by those skiers racing in a USSA set. The top skiers want to train as they will race {and consider USSA races as training to some degree}. I see a lot of changes, where the best are approaching this like being on a national team. A handful of concentrated training runs, seeking hard surfaces. Not skiing the same course over and over, when the groove and ruts end up forming in, for them the wrong place. I can't imagine, for example, that moving forward, Paula Moltzan would benefit from that. As one example. She's better served with an hour and a half being paced by St. Germain and other teammates.

Ten years ago, in Maine, NH, NY and VT it was really common to see USSA races full of NCAA and the top USCSA college skiers. It was good for the USSA, younger kids, IMO. Then, we went through a LOT of races where the college kids would seriously half ass it. at best and some BIG point gains were made, suspiciously, by the USSA kids. A lot of that led to the sanctions, and such. The toughening up. If they have been recently showing up in bigger numbers, even in pockets of he country, that's awesome.

Another eye opener for my kids, who were at demanding academic schools, other than Dartmouth, was the fact that the academic side of the house was NOT all that supportive of missing class to race, unless it was a college carnival, which they treated like any other college team sports contest. So, many skiers worked their schedules to have an open day or two in the week. Otherwise at both schools, you had to request a "Dean's Excuse" to be out of class. Sounds crazy, but as these schools push to be more "elite" {I HATE that word, BTW}, it's a real thing. One of our kids had success, but also graduated at the very top of the class. I think the point is that some of these kids just find racing USSA to be pretty time consuming. Maybe less so at the start and end of the season. For some, the travel is a LOT more, too. UVM travel is a lot less than UNH, and others. In the West, travel can be pretty minimal, or pretty considerable for the college crew.

I think that most, not all, of the NCAA kids can be pretty good role models for the USSA kids as well. Aspiring to attend one of those schools and ski is not a bad thing. And, yes, it's a bit different ion the East. more schools, more of a spread of talent.

Seeded races for U14's in the East? Yep, same as it was for J3's before the age groups changed. As soon as the Junior Olympics were finished, there was a 3-4 week period where most J3's raced a number of USSA seeded races, to try to get at least two reasonably decent finishes in SL and GS to start the next season at other than 990. Some were injured, burned out, or playing lacrosse by then. Both of our kids started their seeded careers, having done pretty well in a few starts, at about 80 points. They had other friends who blew it off and started at 990. I know at least two who ended up as NCAA first team All Americans {top 5 in the NCAA}, so it probably did not matter that much. I also recall some dads who methodically plotted the magic silver bullet formula to get the very best results and had kids ski out, crash, screw up and just skis slow. And they entered the year with not great points. those that I recall had a pretty rough go until they "retired"......some when in college, some before.

Over thinking it, and almost trying to "scheme it", is a mistake, IMO/IME. But plenty do. Sadly.

You develop, you ski faster, more consistently, and your points will keep dropping. The longer you are in the game, the more you'll chuckle at the oft said "He/she skis much faster than his/her points!" Things have a way of working themselves to where they should be. The kids who do ski better than their current points are typically having a huge breakthrough, and their points come down on the next list. The kid who has blazing speed in some sections, but can't deliver a clean run. let alone two, is not "skiing faster than his points." HaHa.

Good luck with all of this.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Points are a weird thing. It all seemed to make sense until this weekend. There was a combined U16/19 panel slalom on a really flat hill, set really straight, and only about 32 seconds long. The (presumably) unintended consequence of this was very little time spread between 115 point skiers and 300 point skiers. So a bunch of athletes who usually score 280 suddenly get a 180, especially the big boys. The entire regional slalom point pool must have dropped by 50 overnight. The athletes who missed it or were slow that day are surely kicking themselves and will get later starts going forward. (It could also affect their chances of qualifying for the post season.)

So, to the OP's question, there are fluky races where the points are really good for whatever reason. Maybe you should find a short easy panel slalom well attended by low point skiers! But as Muleski has stated, the most reliable and predictable way to lower your points is just to ski fast, wherever you may be. Eventually the fastest will rise to the top, and they will beat those who benefited from a weird points bonanza.

Sponsor

Staff online