• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Bellayre Avalanche

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Upside: it's more COVID compliant in terms of airflow now....

I'll exit stage right now...
Humor about tragedy is a long held human tradition. It's only in recent years that it has become out of fashion.

Last edited:

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Erik Timmerman Belleayre had reduced capacity but the lodge was open, tickets upstairs, food downstairs, etc. No one can believe what happened. Race program is trying to start up again the 28th (race kids were outside all day anyway), but not sure what the snow situation is going to be .... All very 2020.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
@Erik Timmerman Belleayre had reduced capacity but the lodge was open, tickets upstairs, food downstairs, etc. No one can believe what happened. Race program is trying to start up again the 28th (race kids were outside all day anyway), but not sure what the snow situation is going to be .... All very 2020.

Are you guys skiing down there this season?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just skied Belleayre today. Compared to what I’ve seen from reports of other resorts, Belleayre is doing a better job at managing the covid rules. They are asking people to put mask over the nose on lines. Lifties are asking people to spread out more. Crowd was not a factor at all.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But did they ask people to disregard the lodge situation? I’ve known businesses to get hopping mad about people taking pics of such things.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Erik Timmerman yes, kids in the nysef program. No VT bc quarantine rules ... no Wyoming bc kids school and my job have super strict rules about travel, if you opt for in-person school you can’t leave, if you leave for a while you’re bumped into online only. Nysef program well run, such a different scene from 4 years ago when it was BMRA, not part of nysef. My family is near Stowe and I can’t wait to see them. My dads 92 and still skiing which makes me rlly hope each and every out of state visitor is respecting Vermont’s rules .........

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
A day late here, but Belleayre apparently has a sense of humor about how this season started: https://www.belleayre.com/training/

Belleayre will be partnering up with a local farm, Pigs-R-Us, to loan Belleayre 5 Snow-boar-der Pigs to help with avalanche control at the mountain. In past years, avalanche control has not existed on the East Coast, however current and future trends have proven a threat to recreational activity in the area.
In an attempt to control the predicted trends, Belleayre has opted to work with these highly trained truffle pigs, originally from Chamonix, France. Belleayre staff will spend the next 10 years learning the proper techniques to work with these animals, familiarizing themselves with the different types of terrain, snowpack, and snow conditions that can be found. After proper training, they will become an official avalanche control pig. These pigs will essentially use their snout to dig under the snowbase to create tunnels, and then “smell” the ground to help find possible target areas for potential avalanches.
With the couple inches of snow we received last night, we will be training today at the Overlook Lodge starting at 10:00am. Please note the intersection of the Onteora and Yahoo trails down to the lodge will be closed for on-mountain training.

Sponsor

Staff online