• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beginner Looking For Advice

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This reminds me of another tip - at least something that I've found. If you're planning to ski all day, don't gorge at lunch. I find that I'm starving at lunch and want to eat a huge bowl of chili and lots more besides. Then my body goes into digestion mode where I get a lot colder and more tired if I keep skiing.

These days I'm more likely to bring my own food or at least be mindful of how much I grab for lunch.

As with all activities, if you can pack some snacks for the lift, you're less likely to go into beast mode when you step into the cafeteria. Beware - most energy bars and candy bars will turn into rocks in your pockets. As do jelly beans. Granola bars are messy, but don't freeze. Many ski areas have extortion-level prices for food, so stuffing a sandwich or other snacks in your pocket will save you a lot of money.
I hear this! Skiing makes me so hungry that it takes every ounce of self control to avoid the food coma!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For the layers underneath, your pants and jacket, I would say keep with the no cotton. these days you can get super cheap 'active wear' at old navy, target etc.
Fleece sweaters/jackets rather than cotton hoodies, 'running tights' rather than jeans under snow pants. target even has synthetic underpants.

plus, buy/bring less clothes. you don't need doubles or triples of the same item. If you stay in a place with a washer and dryer, you vacant get by with very few clothes.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You don'r say where you are from, but if on a budget, in my area the thrift stores a have a good selection of used skiwear and equipment.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Academy has some inexpensive bibs . If the condo has a washer and dryer or access you can pack less. The first time you will over pack your layers. I am usually washing my under garments.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I'm going to offer a few dissenting opinions. I've been skiing since I was 4 and ski close to 100 days a year, and ski in blizzards, rain, -30F(True not wind chill) to +80, sunny cloudy and dark, so it's not without perspective. Full disclosure requires that I run a little warmer than average.

Gloves. No one's mentioned yet the need for leather faced or strong synthetic insulated gloves or mittens. NOT the knitted fuzzy ones you got for Christmas, and NOT the Italian driving gloves. They don't need to be ski specific, but they do need to be made for outdoor winter sports. You want your wrist covered, not a shorty style. Cheap gloves can be poorly insulated, poorly stitched, and not that warm.

Socks. I have smart wool ski specific socks, and I have some stretchy some kinda synthetic street socks that I got 6 pair to a bundle for 1/8 the price. They both work great. What you want is ►tightly woven synthetic or merino wool or equivalent, ►stretchy, ►higher than the boot cuff or a few inches under the knee, ►no wrinkles, ►thin. Thin if you get a decent fitting boot...

Boots The ski boot is your most important piece of clothing/equipment. Take some time to get a good fit. To do this, ideally you'd go to a ski shop in town that rents equipment (almost all ski shops do) the afternoon/night before and get fit for the next day. Find a shop with a boot fitter, not a department store. Your expectations need to be slightly uncomfortable/pressure/snug is OK, pain, hot spots and numbness are not OK Learning what a good fit feels like is a tough thing for beginners. You don't want a bedroom slipper, you want a cast that is hinged at the ankle.

Base layers. Synthetics are good. I also use cotton turtlenecks and cotton zip necks. They work fine for me. As a newbie you're only going out for 2 hours at a time. What's really important is heat management. Zippers are your friend. Bring layers to adjust to changing conditions. Unzip before you sweat. Zip up when you feel cool. I don't use cotton for leg underlayers as the synthetics come in many weights for differing temperatures. Your leg under layer should either have stirrups and fit smoothly under your sock, or be pulled above your boot cuff. You do not want a seam or ridge inside your boot.

Mid layers can be fleeces, sweaters, or even sweats as some people do. However I hate the idea of a shell - pullover combo. Much harder to blow excess heat in a hurry.

Ski pants. You want these, but no need to go wild. Any pair of insulated black pants with a water resistant shell will be fine. Don't go too low on the waist, falling will be involved and snow down your pants is... more than refreshing. Long tail under layers give the needed tuck insurance.

Chapstick - cheap and essential.

Sunscreen - as above. Higher altitude = stronger sun.

Neck gaitor - if you don't have a turtle neck or its pretty cold.

Face mask - if its really cold, but ideally newbies shouldn't be introduced to the sport in face mask weather.

Goggles. Try to borrow a pair your first day. if you get hooked, find a good pair to own.

A few other things to remember - money, cell phone (charged), a small car key, not the janitor bundle of keys. Falling on hard objects hurts.

Oh. Try this stuff on!!! And not just independently. I've seen people on the hill that can't get their left glove on once the right one is on and fumbly. Or the glove won't fit under the jacket cuff. Or over if gauntlet style. Or your jacket is too tight because you tried it on in a t-shirt, not 3 layers. Or the gloves won't fit with liners on. You get the idea.

Helmet, skis, poles, easily rented.

If you live anywhere near a ski hill, grab a few lessons there before you go. You will be able to test your gear, and will enjoy a resort trip far more with a day or two under your belt already.

Last edited:

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
Keeping dry is the key....I bring an extra pair of gloves and socks "just in case"....I have only had to use this option on rainy days.

-Layers...you can always take one or two layers off....
-face protection for wind chill
-sun screen
-lip balm
-eye protection.

Mr Moose and others reminds us to be sure socks are taller than your ski boots....big plus. no other option will do!

Hand warmers....yes, yes, yes...even one in your pants pocket makes a difference.

if you have very sensitive (to cold) feet and hands....look into battery operated boot warmers...if you are fine in this regard....dont bother.

welcome to the site and the sport!......and yeah, as said above....Its addictive!

JP

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Too add to Moose's great list:
Yes, big puffy ski mittens or gloves. Mittens are warmer. Thin wool or poly gloves used as liners under the big gloves or mittens are a very good idea. Another good idea is to use gloves with the zipper opening on the back of the hand for a chemical heat pack. The heat pack can be used without the zipper thing, but it fits better with it. The back of the hands is the spot so it warms the blood going to the finger tips.

Avoid cotton. If it gets wet, it's cold.

Neck. Avoid a scarf. A long scarf that dangles and gets tangled in the chair lift as you get off will strangle the skier. Anything that breaks the wind is good. A silk scarf is great. We used to wear a big cowboy silk kerchief (Saturday night dance style) around our necks, and it could be pulled up over the face on a really cold day. We got them at a western wear store.

Some shops rent pants, coats, and helmets. They'll be suitable, and you won't have the expense of buying something you may never use again.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This has been mentioned a few times but a few times isnt enought...

DO. NOT. LET. YOUR. FRIENDS. TRY. TO. TEACH. YOU. OR. YOUR. GIRLFRIEND.

And try as hard as you can to not be in the same group as your girlfriend. Friends teaching friends rarely ends well.

Aside from that, everything mentioned here is great advice. Heed it, and you'll be addicted.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
DO. NOT. LET. YOUR. FRIENDS. TRY. TO. TEACH. YOU. OR. YOUR. GIRLFRIEND.

To which I would add:
Do not let your friends talk you into a trail above your ability because "you'll do fine" so you can ski with them.

Why aren't they skiing with you on your terrain?

At early stages you need to ski on appropriate gentle terrain and not be so far out of your comfort zone that you get scared, hurt, or angry.

There are exceptions to all the seasoned advice given here, including mine. We just want you to get a great introduction to skiing before you go testing deeper waters.

johnnyevil

Booting up
Skier
The first time I went, I bought rain pants and a rain jacket meant for hiking, so I could use it if I didn't like skiing. I just made sure it would fit over what I was going to wear underneath to stay warm. My biggest piece of advice, if you are going to buy anything for a first time, buy something you can use for another activity you do that isn't skiing, in case you never ski again.

Me & my girlfriend are absolute beginners when it comes to skiing. We got invited to go skiing with friends to Park City, UT for this winter. We will be skiing & snow shoeing during the trip...and I am not a cold weather person at all. They told us that they have gloves, bennies, goggles. We will rent our skis & equipment there.

My question is what type of clothes should we buy on a budget for people who may ski 2x a year, 2 - 3 days per trip, so a total of 6 days max per year?

From our research thus far, we need a base layer, ski pants & a ski jacket. Where are the best places to buy these online & what should we look for out of these 3 items?

Thanks!

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Invest in a solid base layer. Under Armor makes great stuff. Invest in ski socks, it's worth it. Of course, good water resistant ski pants and jacket. A fleece for cold days. A balaclava will change a cold day into a warm day. A pair of goggles (don't spend a lot, it's not worth it). And you're all set.

everything else you can rent... helmet, skis, boots, poles...

Sponsor

Staff online