• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beginner Looking For Advice

Lou

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Me & my girlfriend are absolute beginners when it comes to skiing. We got invited to go skiing with friends to Park City, UT for this winter. We will be skiing & snow shoeing during the trip...and I am not a cold weather person at all. They told us that they have gloves, bennies, goggles. We will rent our skis & equipment there.

My question is what type of clothes should we buy on a budget for people who may ski 2x a year, 2 - 3 days per trip, so a total of 6 days max per year?

From our research thus far, we need a base layer, ski pants & a ski jacket. Where are the best places to buy these online & what should we look for out of these 3 items?

Thanks!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
You want dry. You will do a little rolling around in the snow that first day. Goggles are good especially if it is snowing or very bright.

You pretty much covered the basics. The outlet mall at Kimbal Junction used to have Columbia outlet store there (check the web for this still being accurate) Decent, not really good, clothes at not too bad of prices.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to the site. First of all, I would suggest reaching out to @Chriscray, he works at Jans Sports in Park City and he will be able to give you an idea of what they carry and have available. I cannot tell you how important it is to be able to say "I gotta guy..." and Chris will be your guy on the inside in Park City. Second, it is "My girlfrend and I" not "Me and my girlfriend.." we practice proper English here...me less than most. Third, your friends might be the best skiers in the world but...friends don't teach friends how to ski. Unless they have PSIA credentials, get instruction from a PROFESSIONAL ski instructor. Third, you will be told to get proper boots, you are not there yet unless you plan on jumping into the sport with both feet. Chris will amke sure you get set up with proper rental gear. Fourth, Where to buy clothing? Reach out to @SkiEssentials, they can hook you up. Fifth, just out of curiosity, how did you find our site? Lastly, with the information you get here..you will arrive in Park City like a pro and your friends will be asking YOU for advice.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
They told us that they have gloves, bennies, goggles.

What's a bennie? Do you mean beanie?

Also, ignore Phil about grammar and spelling ... the rest of us are very, very nice to him in this regard, and he should extend the courtesy to others :P

As for general advice - and not sure how much this overlaps with the links listed above:

Don't wear cotton anything. I guess underwear is okay, otherwise no.

If your hands get cold, remember that mittens are far superior to gloves. Don't be embarrassed - mittens are not just for kids, and I (and lots of other frequent skiers) wear them religiously.

Are you skiing at PCMR proper, or at other resorts in the Park City area? We can give you advice on the most advantageous passes if we know where you're going. For PCMR, it is quite possibly cheaper to get an Epic pass than to pay day lift ticket prices, especially if you're going during peak season.

Don't double up on sock layers. Only wear one pair of socks. Doubling up will give you blisters and hotspots, and likely will actually cause your feet to get colder.

Make chemical handwarmers your friends. You can get them for toes (I've never gotten these to work), for hands, and stick-ons for your body. I pretty much always have them in my mittens all day, and sometimes I will stick a larger one on my base layer at the base of my spine. Ahhhhh. Also, pro tip: if you get too warm, don't put them in the same pocket as a piece of chocolate. Especially one that's wrapped rather than sealed. Ask me how I know ... :doh:

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Check out costco for deals on gloves. I got a nice pair of head gloves for $15 that are very warm. Also check out the outlets for deals. I ski in a rain coat from Columbia and just layer accordingly underneath with various fleece pullovers and jackets depending on temperature outside. I think I paid $35 for the jacket at the outlet store. Also check there for ski socks. I bought a pair for under $10 several times. They also work well as general winter socks if you never ski again. You should be able to be set and sped less than $100 on clothing if you shop right. You don't need the best stuff. If you pick up the sport over time you will figure out what you like.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! Warning: skiing is addictive.

You don't say where you are from. If you are from an area with some skiing nearby, there will be ski swaps coming up soon at which you can probably buy some decent 2nd hand clothing. This will save you plenty. Ask at a local ski store to see if they have any planned.

+2 to outlet stores and Columbia outlet is one of my favorites. AND - here is where I go off the rails! I can't speak to other states, but I have bought snow outerwear at Kmart - :duck:- and while it's not my favorite outfit, it was one of the warmest I have had. This was an "in a pinch, airline lost my luggage" budget decision and, frankly, it worked out ok. DO NOT scrimp on socks. Socks are key to your comfort level. Sierra Trading Post always has seconds and they work fine. Look for smart wool or something that is 100%wool. Don't worry, it won't itch.

+10 to chemical hand warmers and foot warmers. On a really cold day, you can add those and stay comfortable much longer.

Also, connect with Philpug's guy - that is a huge assist.

If your friends offer to "teach" you, turn it down. Ante up for a morning lesson which will allow your friends to go ski the way they like while you and your GF bond during a group lesson. It's much preferable.

Edited because now that we are super grammar nazis (thanks Phil) I was going to edit. But, I'm just too darn lazy!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hmmm, actually I'd say you & GF take lessons in separate groups; more likely to stay friends that way.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From our research thus far, we need a base layer, ski pants & a ski jacket. Where are the best places to buy these online & what should we look for out of these 3 items?

For baselayers, I would look at non-ski specific baselayers that you could use for other activities or just as comfort-wear around the house. Things like Under Armour, or North Face wicking shirts and tights will work the same but can be a bit more versatile for those that don't ski regularly.

Here's my packing list from a trip this past year, quantities were for an 10 day trip (with 7 ski days), overseas, so there's definitely a few items on it that are unnecessary for a shorter trip (it was also a snowboarding trip...hence snowboard on the list).

If the list is too overwhelming...just disregard it. I just thought it may give you a few ideas of what to bring that you might not have thought of (e.g. sunblock, sunglasses, chapstick, slippers or flipflops around the hotel)

Untitled.png

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Buy ski socks. Real honest to God ski socks.

After that, its what you can find lying around. I wouldnt go nuts buying ski specific undies and the like, you can get by with a pair of sweats under ski pants. I skied like that for years. Yes they are cotton and will get damp and if they get wet, you are done. If your ski pants/bibs are at all decent, you will last as long as you want to be out as newbies. You bring more for the next day or launder them at night.

The most important thing you can buy is a lesson BEFORE you go on vacation. Take the GF to anywhere that gives lessons, even if you go in jeans and cotton thermal undies, and take a lesson and spend a day on a bunny slope.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For baselayers, I would look at non-ski specific baselayers that you could use for other activities or just as comfort-wear around the house. Things like Under Armour, or North Face wicking shirts and tights will work the same but can be a bit more versatile for those that don't ski regularly.

Here's my packing list from a trip this past year, quantities were for an 10 day trip (with 7 ski days), overseas, so there's definitely a few items on it that are unnecessary for a shorter trip (it was also a snowboarding trip...hence snowboard on the list).

If the list is too overwhelming...just disregard it. I just thought it may give you a few ideas of what to bring that you might not have thought of (e.g. sunblock, sunglasses, chapstick, slippers or flipflops around the hotel)

View attachment 29166

Love it! Mine is not a spreadsheet, but an app on my phone that lets me do line item check boxes. I use it every weekend for my trips to the condo. And it is still being refined.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What if we all send them an old piece of ski clothing and they can look like hobos?

I stopped making spreadsheets a while ago and now I just wing it.

All good advice here. I've also been using Campmor because they ship way faster than Sierra.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I stopped making spreadsheets a while ago and now I just wing it.

When I wing it, I end up having forgotten sports bra (not optional for me) or medications or something like that.

Oh, packing tip - I got some of those packing cubes in different shapes and sizes (so I guess they're not just cubes - in fact, none of them are actually cubes). It makes packing much less confusing because you can group by type, and you don't end up swirling everything around when looking for something in your luggage. (I've never been able to bring myself to put all my clothes away for a one or two night stay.) And rolled things do a better job of staying tightly rolled when they're in tight spaces.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A thought for dressing for warmth: insulating layers need to be able to enclose air to do their work. So don't dress like the kid from A Christmas Story. The base layer is form fitting, but the next layer should have an air gap, and same for your jacket.

Also be aware that skiing is a sport with a lot of on/off. You'll be floundering around on the bunny slope burning calories and sweating; then you'll get on the tow rope or lift and be standing still. If the ride is more than a minute or two, you'll get cold again. You probably won't be able to do much about clothing right now that helps with this, but if you catch the skiing bug, things like ventilation zips and adjustable vents on helmets will become important.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
Third, your friends might be the best skiers in the world but...friends don't teach friends how to ski. Unless they have PSIA credentials, get instruction from a PROFESSIONAL ski instructor.

Even then, friends often shouldn't teach friends how to ski. I'm a pro instructor, and I would shy away from teaching friends from beginner. Especially if I'm staying with them for the week. Friends and teacher/student are very different dynamics.

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi there! As someone who was in your shoes just two years ago I suggest Amazon. I don't know what your budget is, but I was able to get outfitted fairly inexpensively. Here's how I did it:

1. I bought a set of bibs, which are essentially waterproof overalls that are warmer than snow pants, for about $80. Though some people don't like them because they ARE warmer and can be difficult when nature calls. Anyway you can find a pair of those for $50 and under.
2.Then I wore yoga pants and a long sleeve moisture-wicking shirt both from Old Navy. They have very reasonably priced athletic wear that you can use for other things. They have sales all the time so keep checking.
3. I also bought a jacket ~$35, gloves $20, a pair of googles $35 (which stay on better than shades if you take a tumble) and a pack of hand warmers all from Amazon. Side note: I used a pair of shades when I first went and they worked perfectly fine but I suggest getting goggles because they keep your face warmer and keep snow out if it actually starts snowing.

Lucky for me it was warm for my first time so I didn't need any other layers but I had sweatpants and a sweatshirt (just a regular pair of Fruit of the Loom from Walmart) just in case. BTW, I'm stilling using the things I initially bought and just adding more to the collection.

Like you, for my first trip I thought this may just be a one off thing and didn't want to invest heavily. I still had a blast, was never cold, and like you I am not a cold weather person. Heck I'm the lady in the office with a blanket! You don't need to buy Columbia, Patagonia, or things from REI with pit zippers and fancy heat retention dots to be comfortable and have fun.

Also you might want to check ski shops around where you plan to ski because some of them will rent clothing for a daily fee. You can do the math and see which would be more cost effective. With that said, I would still suggest buying goggles and gloves because they don't usually rent those.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Lou I saw you were on this morning....is this helping out at all for you?

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
"Make chemical handwarmers your friends"
Yep. They get placed on the backs of your hands so they warm the blood going to your fingers. Some gloves have a zippered pocket in that spot for the chem packs. Thin poly or wool glove liners are a good idea. There are similar chemical warmer packs with adhesive to stick on the outside of your ski socks over your toes. If it is a very cold snap, the heat packs for people with bad backs can be placed over your kidneys to warm your core. If you get cold a hot drink like cocoa or soup warms you from the inside out.

The body needs to keep the brain and the core organs warm. It will sacrifice the limbs to stay alive by reducing the blood flow to them. The old saying that if one has cold hands or cold feet get a warmer hat remains true. Just a beanie isn't always adequate. An ear brassiere (fleece headband) is totally inadequate except on a nice warm day. Two beanies under a parka hood may help. If a helmet rental is available, get one. They're warm, and they offer protection if someone runs into you or if you crash onto your head. A thin beanie under the helmet is OK. Buy a balaclava (ski mask like we see in the movies) for very cold or windy conditions. Provide a good seal around your neck, at wrists, & waist--keep drafts out. Some like the balaclava for the neck warmth and to seal out drafts. Some use a fleece neck tube (neck gaiter). I use a Buff. Don't use a long scarf--if one end gets tangled in the chair lift as you get off, you get strangled. Really bad PR for the ski area. But--when you snowshoe, you'll be working hard. Be ready to take layers off and to open ventilation zippers. A backpack to put unneeded layers in is a good idea. Take sunglasses, sun screen, and lip balm with sun screen for sunny days when the reflection off the snow broils your eyes and skin.

Warmth in the feet comes from the blood flow to them. Extra socks, or too-thick socks, or too-tight boots pinches the blood flow and may cause cold feet. One pair of medium thickness wool socks will be fine. If you have wide feet or thick ankles, make those thin wool socks.

Boots are the most important piece of ski equipment. Then need to fit as snugly as possible. They'll feel weird--like monster shoes. You will want the smallest possible size you can get into without discomfort. If you have wider or narrower than average feet or ankles, discuss this with the fellow Phil mentioned so you get the best possible fit. Thick spongy socks harm skiing by absorbing some of the movements you will use to transfer leg movements to the skis. When the day comes that you decide skiing is a sport for you, buy just right boots as your most important purchase.

Have fun!

(As I look back at my first skiing, I misunderstood the difference between being cheap and being thrifty. A good value on stuff that does a good job for one is being thrifty. Buying stuff at a great price that did not do a good job for me was being cheap, and it set my development (and fun) back. Don't be cheap.)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This reminds me of another tip - at least something that I've found. If you're planning to ski all day, don't gorge at lunch. I find that I'm starving at lunch and want to eat a huge bowl of chili and lots more besides. Then my body goes into digestion mode where I get a lot colder and more tired if I keep skiing.

These days I'm more likely to bring my own food or at least be mindful of how much I grab for lunch.

As with all activities, if you can pack some snacks for the lift, you're less likely to go into beast mode when you step into the cafeteria. Beware - most energy bars and candy bars will turn into rocks in your pockets. As do jelly beans. Granola bars are messy, but don't freeze. Many ski areas have extortion-level prices for food, so stuffing a sandwich or other snacks in your pocket will save you a lot of money.