• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beginner kids slalom skis

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

I would like to get my girls some slalom(-ish) skis. We live in MN, so small, firm slopes are our local fare, and I believe this would help them improve(start) carving better. I know nothing about this stuff.

What sizes should I be looking for? Any models or types of skis? They are both experienced skiers, skiing around at level 7 in lessons out west. However, carving is not something they are experienced/good at. Hoping I can find some used skis for them to use around town. For our trips out west I would bring their Pinnacle Jr’s.

They are 5’5”, 110 lbs and 4’9”, 65lbs.

Last edited:

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Slalom-ish = multi-event. If you want slaloms, maybe get them one or two season old slaloms. The skis should hit them around the bridge of the nose. For the bigger girl, about a 145, and about 130 for the smaller girl. Look for a sandwich (sidewall) construction ski -- Head, Rossignol/Dynastar, Fischer, Volkl and Nordica (in roughly that order) is where I would start. If you are buying new skis, Atomic has sidewall construction starting at 142 this year. Grind the base edge to .75.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks!

Just to be clear, I don’t (currently)plan to put them on the race team, just looking for something to have fun on small, hardpack runs on and develop some feel for carving. So by “slalomish’ I meant skiing in the style of a slalom course: well edged, short radius turns.

Last edited:

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Level 7 can mean a lot of things. PSIA leveling is in theory a standardized system, but you'd be amazed by how subjective it allows the instructor to be.

But, I would say the same thing that @BGreen said.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Level 7 can mean a lot of things. PSIA leveling is in theory a standardized system, but you'd be amazed by how subjective it allows the instructor to be./QUOTE]
That makes sense.

I was using it to try and illustrate that they are not super highly skilled skiers, but at the same time, that they have skied varied terrain, including steps, and that they ski with parallel turns and are not afraid to pick up some speed.

I figured this might matter compared to kids who are still learning to commit to the turn, while at the same time showing they were not super proficient technique wise.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Level 7 can mean a lot of things. PSIA leveling is in theory a standardized system, but you'd be amazed by how subjective it allows the instructor to be.
It's OK, her mom confirmed that she was indeed a Level 7 ;)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Haha, if you ever want to troll a ski site just declare yourself a solid level 8 and let the fun begin.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Hey Slim.........we're down in the Twin Cities, this is our third winter in MN, and ski Welch Village. I have two daughters, 5 and 11. I don't know what PSIA level either are, but my 11 year old skied on the Volkl Chica back east at Camelback and VT which have similar snow conditions to MN. During the last two years at Welch she was on a Stockli Team RX, and a Fischer RC4 Speed Jr, which is a combi/multi event ski and a great product for MN conditions AND style..which is important because the runs are short and the turns demand the same...She skied 23 days last year mostly in a D team and at Breck and the RC4 was a fine product for her....IMHO the Fischer, Volkl, Stockli products are well built products and will preform nicely on the terrain and conditions in MN. The Volkl and Fischer products should be easy to locate while the Stockli is more of a speciality ski.

If your oldest is more advanced, you could try a higher performing Jr. race type of ski.....narrower waist, wood core, tenacious edge grip on ice....maybe find a used pair?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
..which is important because the runs are short and the turns demand the same...She skied 23 days last year mostly in a D team and at Breck and the RC4 was a fine product for her....IMHO the Fischer, Volkl, Stockli products are well built products and will preform nicely on the terrain and conditions in MN....
If your oldest is more advanced, you could try a higher performing Jr. race type of ski.....narrower waist, wood core, tenacious edge grip on ice....maybe find a used pair?

No, technique wise, they are pretty similar, even the oldest is definitely not “more advanced” as far as precise movements and edging go.

Our shop had the Fischer RC4, as wel as a Volkl Jr SL ski, forgot which model again.
But yeah, hoping to get something used.

OT: have you visited us here in Duluth, at Spirit Mountain? Only about 2.5 hrs from the Cities, so doable for a day trip, and a fair bit more vertical than the Cites(and even Welch). Of course, if you have the weekend, go to Lutsen.

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's OK, her mom confirmed that she was indeed a Level 7 ;)
??? Meaning, the parents are saying “my child is level X, Y or Z, even though they are not ski-instructors?

Apparently that does happen. Last year I booked a lesson for my girls:
Office person:”What are their ages, and what level do your girls ski at?”
Me: “7 and 10 years old. Last year their instructor said they were to start level 7”
Instructor at end of lesson:”When I saw 7 year old, level 7, I thought no way, but she actually skied to that level”

I would have thought that that was obvious, if the instructor the year before would have said “they ski at level 4”, then that’s what I would have told them when I booked the new lesson. But apperently people do lie about that. Why? It’s not like you get a discount or something!

I can see boasting to your friends or on a date, or inflating your skill level to be allowed on a cool trip, but when booking a private lesson? Why?

Last edited:

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
No, technique wise, they are pretty similar, even the oldest is definitely not “more advanced” as far as precise movements and edging go.

Our shop had the Fischer RC4, as wel as a Volkl Jr SL ski, forgot which model again.
But yeah, hoping to get something used.

OT: have you visited us here in Duluth, at Spirit Mountain? Only about 2.5 hrs from the Cities, so doable for a day trip, and a fair bit more vertical than the Cites(and even Welch). Of course, if you have the weekend, go to Lutsen.

Honestly then take a look at the multi event skis: Fischer RC4 Speed, Rossignol Team and the Volkl RTM Jr are all good products for aggressive kids that like to have fun and rip around the icy MN conditions....they are pretty forgiving skis that don't demand a heavy technical skier to work...Should be able to locate a used Volkl RTM Jr. pretty easily as it's been a pretty popular youth ski in MN over the last few years.

We have not skied up in the Duluth area. We've only been in MN for 2 years and have yet to make it to Duluth in the winter. I would like to hit Spirit one weekend day with the kids.....these ski areas around the twin cities are REALLY small. The first time we went to check out Welch Village, my daughter asked how people ski in corn fields.

Any thoughts about Spirit on a weekend? Big crowds???

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the nicest weather weekend days Spirit can get busy. But most of the time the lift lines are pretty minimal. On the slopes it’s never a big deal.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Elan RCX Plate — if you can find. Great, great first ski for kids to learn proper technique. Very solid. Has been manufactured for some 10 years, basically unchanged, besides the paint. Comes in 125ish and 130ish. Normally with a Tyrolia plate and ff 11:s.
(Lived a couple of years in Twin Cities and still have plenty of friends there, went to Lutsen as often as I could. Go Wild!).