• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This is getting way to complicated.

If you are buying the beer I drink pretty much anything; If I buy it it will probably be some domestic micro by taste. If you don't like what I am buying buy your own.

Excepting for anything Lite or Light, I'm with you. Although PBRs give me a headache from the first sip. Go figure.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Father's Day gift from a customer. Too bad it's not cold since it's dead today in the shop due to the weather and holiday.

IMG_4730.JPG

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a Beatification at Russian River last night. I guess it's a sour and not often available? I didn't like it. We had it on the recommendation of a guy at the bar who had just had the 21 beer tasting flight by himself. He described finishing the flight as a chore.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
the Von Trapps are doing some nice things with easy drinking Austrian/ German beers.

Really? Huh. I bought a mixed 12 pack once and didn't find a single one to like. The last five sat in the fridge for a couple of months (my wife has frugal compulsions) until I finally threw them out. It's amazing how tastes (ou bien, goûts) differ — people like Von Trapp beers, obviously, or they wouldn't keep selling them.

I was never much for IPAs (too bitter) until I bought a Sam Adams Hop-ology 12 pack, limited-release, several single-hop beers. From each a different hop flower bloomed; I got hooked. Beers that non-IPA lovers say are "over-hopped" are really just all about hops and how that flavor is articulated. If you like that, it's good. To a hops-lover, there's nothing like cracking a Heady Topper or a Focal Banger or a Very Hazy and letting that aroma blossom up into the skull. I suppose you could call it a fad, but it's a good fad, if you have a taste for hops.

So many good IPAs flood the market that deviation is difficult (a world-class Founders Centennial IPA goes for $7.99 a six at my local co-op). A hops lover could drink only IPA and live forever in an endless garden of flowers.

But to neglect other styles would deeply wrong. Stout alone . . . !

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am amazed how much mindshare sours have gotten. Over the weekend we went to a restaurant/ brewpub with a nice deck overlooking a river. (It is an old place, predating the current "craft beer tasting room" terminology.)

I decided to get a tasting flight. I had trouble putting together 5 beers that WEREN'T sours. And even the IPA s, which were billed as "east coast style" or "new england" (forget which) were not what I like. One was excessive grapefruity and the other had a touch of sour. Ick!

On the plus side, dark beers are no longer sweet like they were when I was young.

James

Out There
Instructor
I decided to get a tasting flight. I had trouble putting together 5 beers that WEREN'T sours. And even the IPA s, which were billed as "east coast style" or "new england" (forget which) were not what I like. One was excessive grapefruity and the other had a touch of sour. Ick!
As they say, "Each chooses his own goat!"
...love that.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I am amazed how much mindshare sours have gotten . . . I had trouble putting together 5 beers that WEREN'T sours.

Jennie accidentally got a sour at Doc Ponds in Stowe (somebody crossed the lines), and we ended up liking it. Not what you expect from beer, kind of cidery, but it's a traditional style that now is a fad.

The market seems so craft-beer saturated (each beer its clever name, made by a cleverly named brewery, run by bearded guys in t-shirts) that the pressure to herd with the pack must be stronger than ever. Somebody invents the "new" new, and everyone's on that new thing. Bourbon barrel stout — why not bourbon barrel sour IPA? Bourbon barrel sour double IPA with cold-brewed mocha java and hints of vanilla bean? It's a tough market to stand out in — but it's really the golden age.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can say that even in small red neck villages on the country side over here, craft beers have been picking up serious sales volumes in later years. I heard that Brooklyn Breweries largest market after NYC is Sweden (and that one I'm not particularly fond of, can't understand why it's so popular). I think the IPA:s etc. is here to stay, as the prefered drink for many. Not a fad.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Speaking of Bourbon Barrel Aged whatever, just saw on my fb feed that Breckenridge Distillery is collaborating on a limited release Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter. They're doing a lottery for it. You guys seem pretty stoked on fancy beers so thought someone might be interested. Linky link.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Easy going down, thirst quenching, refreshing....the cream soda of beers
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Father's Day gift from a customer. Too bad it's not cold since it's dead today in the shop due to the weather and holiday.

View attachment 25724
You don't need to have that beer cold to drink it. Room temp works well for that style. In fact, having it cold would suppress a lot of the good flavors that come out when it warms up.

Can't say the same for lagers. That's why they say to drink lagers cold because once it warms and the natural flavor come out you realize what a nasty brew it really is.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Jennie accidentally got a sour at Doc Ponds in Stowe (somebody crossed the lines), and we ended up liking it. Not what you expect from beer, kind of cidery, but it's a traditional style that now is a fad.

The market seems so craft-beer saturated (each beer its clever name, made by a cleverly named brewery, run by bearded guys in t-shirts) that the pressure to herd with the pack must be stronger than ever. Somebody invents the "new" new, and everyone's on that new thing. Bourbon barrel stout — why not bourbon barrel sour IPA? Bourbon barrel sour double IPA with cold-brewed mocha java and hints of vanilla bean? It's a tough market to stand out in — but it's really the golden age.
Crooked Stave out of Colorado makes a lot of sours, including some sour IPAs. Have had a sour IPA. Not bad. Have had bourbon barrel IPAs from other brewers, but not a bourbon barrel sour IPA, yet.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Just back from a MTB ride, 10lb Pork Butt has less than 20 degrees to go. Suparillo double IPA from one of Brooklyn's finest breweries, Other Half Brewing.

oh.JPG

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Crooked Stave out of Colorado makes a lot of sours, including some sour IPAs. Have had a sour IPA. Not bad. Have had bourbon barrel IPAs from other brewers, but not a bourbon barrel sour IPA, yet.

Beer Advocate says the newest fad is pilsner — or, I guess, the newest rediscovery. I'd be curious to try a craft pilsner.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January