• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer question ... Freezing?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
At what temperature (F, C or K) does one need to be concerned about bursting bottled beer?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Yes. Freezing point in whatever system you use. There is still enough water and not enough alcohol to avoid it. Unlike vodka or Gin which you can leave in the freezer for Martini's. Eve wine at 12% will greeze.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
https://www.thespruceeats.com/will-liquor-freeze-760302

I would worry at 0C 32 F, 'cause not all thermometers are accurate, and some beer will start to freeze and come out of solution on the top, ruining the beer. On the plus side, this fractional freezing will increase the alcohol remaining in the beer that hasn't yet frozen decreasing its freezing point and lowering the risk of a broken bottle. I've drank partially frozen beer, it's better not to freeze the beer.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beer will freeze at -2 to -4 degrees C, depending on alcohol content. Wine will freeze at - 6 C. I never put my beer or wine in the freezer, because I always forget it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
On the plus side, this fractional freezing will increase the alcohol remaining in the beer that hasn't yet frozen decreasing its freezing point and lowering the risk of a broken bottle. I've drank partially frozen beer, it's better not to freeze the beer.

Pour it off and freeze it again, you're only 5-6 steps from whisky :D

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well good beer should usually be around 40F. So much colder may not freeze it but the taste quality goes down. :)

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
OK, let me re-frame the question.

I want to stash a couple bottles in the snow bank for later. Falling on them while carried might hurt, or worse, bruise the bubbles ;-)
The air temperature is X? degrees. I could give a ratz about the quality of the contents when I get back to them, I just don't want to pick through broken glass to get the beer.

What is X?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Beer put into a snow bank works fine here. Snow also acts as insulation from the lower air temp. Often better than leaving it in the trunk
Never had an issue by end of day, if in doubt with east coast temps try cans first.
however a cooler in the trunk works even better - and I find fewer local "squirrels" take it away.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Cans, never bottles at ski resorts.

Buy a snow thermometer? Find optimum snow layer for storage :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The first few posts are from Canadians....what does that tell you??

They're bad at making caribou?
It doesn't really doesn't snow in Canada so the chances of losing your beer in a snowplow bank are miniscule?
They're not doing rye right?
There's posses going around all the cars with avy probes looking for free beer?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Avy probe....metal detectors!!

I'm thinking it's because we played hockey outdoors for so long....or at least in my neighbourhood.

Freezing is not only temperature dependant, but time.....

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January