• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beefier BC setup

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I have got a light touring setup: Dynafit TLT7 boots and Movement ski.

On the side, I have been doing masters (downhill) racing and got hooked up on really heavy duty skis and stiff boots. Now the touring setup feels... well whimpy.

I would like to try and build somewhat of an intermediate setup. Not quite as heavy as racing, but stiffer skis, more secure binding and more solid boot. Something to ski icy and variable snow on steeps, ski mountaineering style.

I also have Tecnica Cochise 120 boots. They are TOO heavy and not very stiff, really. I guess I could see myself using the Cochise boots, but what about the ski?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd look at a Line Sick Day or Elan Ripstick. Something like the Renoun Citadel or Black Crows Corvus Freebird could be a good fit too depending on how wide you're looking to go.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have limited experience with most of this, but I do have those same boots, and have been shopping for new AT boots.

The above recommendations lean more to the 50/50 set up, probably because you mentioned beefier. So it depends on what you want to do with it.

My advice below is is based on the assumption that it‘s firm snow, icy, steep ski mountaineering style stuff, where weight matters a lot.

So, you can save weight in your skis by going shorter and narrower. That way, you can have a fairly light ski, that still is solid, stiff and controlled in poor conditions. That also means you can use a shorter, narrower climbing skin, so the weight savings gets bigger.
plus, a shorter ski is easier to handle on a backpack.

Bindings: most people still recommend going with a lightweight (<350g) tech binding. I don’t have the skiing skills or experience to say whether that would work for you. If you feel you need more performance from the binding, as far as elasticity and heel control, I would look at the Vipec. With lateral elasticity at the toes, and a non rotating heel, it skis pretty more like an alpine binding. It also transitions every way without removing your boot from the binding, so that might be a benefit on a steep , exposed location.

Boots:
Cheapest thing is to get some touring liners (Sierra tradingpost has the Scarpa-Intuition ones for about $80), saves about 150g per foot, is warmer and walks better than the stock liner.
Then order the AT sole blocks for the boots.

But, even with those mods, they are heavy and don’t walk well (I've tried)).
So, Tecnica Zero G tour Pro would seem the way to go, they are the lightest AT boots with that level of skiing performance, and fit is similar to the Cochise. If they don’t fit, the Atomic Ultra XTD seem similar, but I have not tried them myself.

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have atomic ultra xtd, get the 130 and they will work well. Next year's boot will have a greatly improved liner. I have the first gen light weight liner that is great for up, but a bit thin for all day in the resort.

I use shift bindings on blizzard zero G skis. They work well for new England icy conditions. Any of Analise suggestions are good to

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
But, even with those mods, they are heavy and don’t walk well (I've tried)).
So, Tecnica Zero G tour Pro would seem the way to go, they are the lightest AT boots with that level of skiing performance, and fit is similar to the Cochise. If they don’t fit, the Atomic Ultra XTD seem similar, but I have not tried them myself.

I had also zeroed on Tecnica Zero G (tecnica/nordica fits me well). Boots are a difficult subject: if I get my alpine size the toes would jam into front of boot in walk mode. If there's some space in front the ankle hold would have to be really good. Zero G are so pricey though...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had also zeroed on Tecnica Zero G (tecnica/nordica fits me well). Boots are a difficult subject: if I get my alpine size the toes would jam into front of boot in walk mode. If there's some space in front the ankle hold would have to be really good. Zero G are so pricey though...
I got the Zero G in the same size as my Cochise, about 15mm shell fit. I can tour in my Cochise just fine, as long as I don’t have to many flat sections. Just get a bit more aggressive on the heat molding of the toes of the liner.
The Zero G’s are finally on sale a bit too.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@asolo , can you expand/clarify what you are wanting this set up to do?
What sort of terrain, and kind of skiing on that terrain? Accessed with powered support or long dry land hikes to get to the base? That sort of thing.

Right now I suggest a lightweight tech binding, and @ScottB a Shift. :huh: We need a better statement of purpose to be useful here.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
@asolo , can you expand/clarify what you are wanting this set up to do?
What sort of terrain, and kind of skiing on that terrain? Accessed with powered support or long dry land hikes to get to the base? That sort of thing.

Right now I suggest a lightweight tech binding, and @ScottB a Shift. :huh: We need a better statement of purpose to be useful here.

1. The goal would be ski mountaineering missions, variable snow, icy conditions, steeps, couloirs.

2. My current BC ski is 89mm waist, 169 length. I would not mind to get a bit more floatation, if it does not cost too much weight. More rigid and edgy ski is probably more important than fun powder skiing. Resort skiing is completely out of picture.

3. Boot is probably the main variable; I realize that I just have to try different boots and there are going to be tradeoffs between weight and downhill performance. Of course I hope to find something that is awesome downhill and decent on uphill. One thing I would mention is that liner comfort/thickness is not a big consideration.

4. My BC skis currently have Dynafit Speed Turn 2.0 bindings. I used to fall out of them regularly while skiing resort (pre-release). I don't think I am ready to switch to Shift before trying other traditional tech binding options.

Does this help?

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
@asolo Based on what you're describing something like the MTN Explore 95 with MTN binding might be perfect. Outdoorgearlab also has great reviews of BC skis that still are very serviceable, like a Black Crows Camox Freebird or K2 Wayback.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Much depends on whether one is going out in order to easily enjoy traveling through variable winter snow landscapes say for scenery and challenge or in order to reach locations in order to enjoy skiing down untracked fresh corn or powder slopes. A backcountry ski built to most easily reach places will not be optimal for enjoying skiing down. Many hard core bc enthusiasts are of course there to enjoy skiing down while making a reasonable trade off with a tool's effort to get there. As one of the latter, the experience of skiing down a fresh powder or corn slope is most important even though that means more effort getting wherever. But then I am limited to easier to reach short roadside destinations.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blister rates the Mtn Explore 95 highly for that kind of use, and I thought I read similar reports of the 88.
Alpin rates the Volkl BMT 90 very well, both in poor snow and nn better snow, saying it can handle speed, but can take it easy too.

Sponsor

Staff online