• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Beech!

Lakeside Chutes

Booting up
Skier
I watched Jean Claude Killy, Spider Sabbich(sp) and others in a pro ski race at Beech in 1969. That road up to Beech was quiet exciting on a snowy day in the 60's

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I watched Jean Claude Killy, Spider Sabbich(sp) and others in a pro ski race at Beech in 1969. That road up to Beech was quiet exciting on a snowy day in the 60's
If you cut across 194 skipping Sugar from Boone, it's still a white knuckle affair in the snow. For a couple years, half of it was washed out at the gnarliest part and they only had one lane, one way alternating open along the edge of a huge cliff

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks. Funny thing is coming into Beech from the backside, 321 west, then south, is just as dodgy. That makes 3 main ways to get there and none good. But, still my favorite place to ski in NC, all things considered. "They are a party lot....... with grim determination" - that is pretty much true today. There is also a cool promotional video from the same era which is more ....... optimistic :).

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
got a couple of former Hawknest patrollers working at Wolf Ridge with me. Ahhh the stories they tell. :cool:

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Thanks. Funny thing is coming into Beech from the backside, 321 west, then south, is just as dodgy. That makes 3 main ways to get there and none good. But, still my favorite place to ski in NC, all things considered. "They are a party lot....... with grim determination" - that is pretty much true today. There is also a cool promotional video from the same era which is more ....... optimistic :).

Yep, our favorite mountain in NC as well. A nice, laid back vibe compared to greedy and uptight Sugar Mountain. Sorta like Loveland vs Vail of the SE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When did Seven Devils become Hawk's Nest?
As far as I know, the town and community complex is called Seven Devils along with their beloved golf course. I thought the ski hill was always called Hawksnest though..

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Actually, Seven Devils was the ski area's first name. I found this:
"the Seven Devils ski area opened in December 1968, when the only skiing in the area was happening at Appalachian Ski Mountain and Hound Ears Club. Sugar Mountain and Beech Mountain ski areas would soon be established in the late 1960s as well."
" In 1983-84, the name of the resort was changed to Ski Hawksnest."

Last edited:

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Actually, Seven Devils was the ski area's first name.
"the Seven Devils ski area opened in December 1968, when the only skiing in the area was happening at Appalachian Ski Mountain and Hound Ears Club. Sugar Mountain and Beech Mountain ski areas would soon be established in the late 1960s as well."
" In 1983-84, the name of the resort was changed to Ski Hawksnest."
I stand corrected but then my way back when was in 88

Sponsor