• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beaver Creek Cancels Birds of Prey

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Vail Valley Foundation on Thursday announced that the FIS Audi Birds of Prey World Cup downhill, super-G and giant slalom races scheduled for Dec. 2-4 have been canceled, due to an unfavorable result of the International Ski Federation snow control.

A recent shift in weather patterns has brought snow and colder temperatures to Beaver Creek Resort and the Vail Valley. However, winter conditions did not arrive in time to allow race crews to create the demanding, 8,600-foot-long Birds of Prey courses.

http://www.vaildaily.com/news/birds...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sad, but not a surprise.

Still wondering about Breck's Dew Tour half pipe.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Men's SG and DH for Nov. 26 & 27 have been cancelled at Lake Louise.

More snow is predicted so there is still hope for women's races scheduled for Dec.2-4.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Men's SG and DH for Nov. 26 & 27 have been cancelled at Lake Louise.

More snow is predicted so there is still hope for women's races scheduled for Dec.2-4.

What they need more than natural snow is optimal snowmaking weather to lay down a base that the race crew can inject. That's the problem that Beaver Creek has right now: sure, they got a nice coating today, but it's atop a middling base, and with a warming pattern forecast over the next few days they couldn't lay down a safe racing surface.

We'll see. At least Killington is going to happen - and they needed to impress the FIS more than the known-commodity venues of Lake Louise and the Beav.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Forcast is looking good at Louise for the women....nothing but freezing temps all day and night every day.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Fortunately the show will go on for the marquis event: Beers of Prey.

image.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Damn those Chinese and their evil hoaxes. Will the resorts be pushing everything out a couple weeks starting next season. Or, will they stick with tradition and hope for better luck next season?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bummer for Beaver Creek.
I bet they have tons of extra stuff to sell and food to eat.
USST article here.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Perhaps, but (and I don't know as I'm not on the race committee) the problem would be having it ready for training so the course actually needs to be good to go after this weekend. That is a big ask especially when the weather (although looking good for it) wasn't guaranteed to be cooperative and it certainly seemed everything needed to work out perfectly for it to go.

The hill has a full extra week to get it ready for the Ladies so clearly better odds.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good call by snow control to cancel the men's at LL. They are making snow like crazy and I don't see how it would've been possible to have it ready for training after the weekend. The lower just isn't quite ready.

Barring any strange weather they will be good to go for the women. (Based on my personal views from the chairs going up). Upper mountain is good to for snow. It's mostly all fenced off and looks pretty good. They areas open have lots of coverage and a good solid firm base.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Read that the Beaver Creek races are being reslocated to Val d'Isere in early December. They have a season going off.

Sponsor