• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Beaver Creek and Vail, 2/16/22 - 2/18/22

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Colorado Skiing 021822 104 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
The view from near the top of Cinch lift, Beaver Creek

Every season for the last several, I've had a goal of skiing two new resorts/areas/mountains... and I've done it most of the last few seasons. Since I'm up to 41 resorts, I wasn't sure I'd get new ones this season, but a couple of my friends wanted to do a Colorado trip. And we settled on going to Beaver Creek, which I've never been to... so one new place this season. :) (And I should get another at the NE Gathering...)

We stayed in Avon, and wound up skiing Wednesday and Friday at BC, and Thursday at Vail (which was a bluebird powder day!)...The complex we stayed in (Beaver Creek West condos) had convenient shuttle service to the Avon town gondola, or to Vail, which made it easy. We had a great time, as usual... a variety of weather, terrain, and snow conditions, and about 75K vertical feet made for a great trip!

Arrival Day (Tuesday)
I'd never been to Beaver Creek or Avon before, so we took a walk around town and went up to the resort village to check it out.

This mural was from the last time I was at Vail, where we saw some of the festivities and where they held the medal ceremonies for the events held at BC.
20220215_144043 ACR Conv.jpg

Entry into the village... the BC village is all pretty upscale, as you might expect if you know how Vail positions the resort
20220215_150032 ACR Conv.jpg

After a travel day we went to bed early, ready for a grey/snowy day predicted for the next day.

Ski Day 1 (Wednesday)

We skied Beaver Creek on day 1, and explored around the mountain, since none of us had been there before. It was a grey day, and started snowing around lunch time, sometimes very hard and a bit of a whiteout on the upper lifts in the afternoon. We spent most of our time on Strawberry Park, Arrow Bahn, and Bachelor Gulch lifts, which are the lower ones and kept us out of some of the weather. The snow started to pile up a bit in the afternoon, softening the very hard groomers a bit. And we found some easy bumps and soft stuff off Elkhorn lift for one run (it's a very long slow lift, so we didn't return). All in all we skied 23K and it was a good first day.

Lift line just at lift opening at 9:00... and one of the longer lines we hit actually
Colorado Skiing 021822 006 ACR Conv.jpg

Eric on a snowy early run
Colorado Skiing 021822 014 ACR Conv.jpg

Sanjay in Bachelor Gulch area
Colorado Skiing 021822 015 ACR Conv.jpg

Near the Arrow Bahn base area with some clearing conditions
Colorado Skiing 021822 020 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Me, Sanjay, Eric
Colorado Skiing 021822 021 ACR Conv.jpg

Sanjay with a nice view
Colorado Skiing 021822 028 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

The snow really started to pick up around noon... as we made our way with poor timing more to the upper mountain.

McCoy Peak Lodge in the snow
Colorado Skiing 021822 037 ACR Conv.jpg

Heading into the whiteout on Centennial lift
Colorado Skiing 021822 040 ACR Conv.jpg

After feeling our way down from Centennial area, we headed back to some of the lower lifts, and even skied the little used Elkhorn lift. It's old and slow and services mainly residential areas, but the snow was nice, and we skied some nice moderate bumps.

Elkhorn lift
Colorado Skiing 021822 042 ACR Conv.jpg

Ski Day 2 (Thursday)

We woke up Thursday having made reservations on the condo complex shuttle to head over to Vail. They were reporting 7" overnight and the sun was mostly out - nearly a bluebird powder day! And it was deeper in places, making for really nice conditions in the morning.

Sanjay and I had travelled to Vail in 2015 on my first trip out west, but Eric hadn't ever been. So we wanted to see it again and give him a tour. @MattSmith came out with us too, and being local knows the place well. We wound up really doing a good 1 day tour, with runs off Eagle Bahn, Avanti, Northwoods, Sourdough, and Wildwood. (For Vail regulars, that's 19, 2, 11, 14, and 3). We also hit Game Creek Bowl, Sundown Bowl, Sunup Bowl, China Bowl, and Blue Sky Basin. Lines were generally short, not more than a minute or two, so a great day for Vail.

Early runs on some lightly tracked fun off Avanti lift
Colorado Skiing 021822 053 ACR Conv.jpg

Eric testing a few inches of pow on the groomer
Colorado Skiing 021822 054 ACR Conv.jpg

After a few runs, we headed into Game Creek bowl via Faro/Ouzo. The snow was deeper and really nice.
Colorado Skiing 021822 058 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Eric again in pow
Colorado Skiing 021822 059 ACR Conv.jpg

And watching Matt and Sanjay
Colorado Skiing 021822 064 ACR Conv.jpg

Sun and shady groomer in Game Creek
Colorado Skiing 021822 066 ACR Conv.jpg

After Game Creek, Matt convinced us to ski Ricky's Ridge in Sundown Bowl... the snow was shin deep in places, and things were bumped up but not crazily. It was a bit of challenge for us east coast intermediates, but everyone skied it well I think.

Matt here pointing out to us where we're headed
Colorado Skiing 021822 068 ACR Conv.jpg

The view of Sundown Bowl down Ricky's Ridge ... the vastness of the back bowls is always impressive. Note the little dots in the lower center, that are other skiers.
Colorado Skiing 021822 074 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

After that we hopped over to Sunup bowl... this is The Slot, which can get crowded as one of the few blue runs, and groomed runs, in the bowls
Colorado Skiing 021822 075 ACR Conv.jpg

Looking back up The Slot
Colorado Skiing 021822 080 ACR Conv.jpg

We skied down Sourdough area to get over to Two Elks, then we ate at lunch at Two Elks and rested for a while (Ricky's Ridge was tiring :) ). Then we headed into China Bowl.

China Bowl in the sun, with Blue Sky Basin in the background
Colorado Skiing 021822 085 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

After China Bowl, we headed over to Blue Sky Basin, and skied Big Rock Park and Grand Review a couple of times. At which point we were about done and started to head back to Lionshead.

View from Blue Sky looking back at Siberia Bowl, Pete's Express lift bottom is the grey building
Colorado Skiing 021822 087 ACR Conv.jpg

Grand Review run
Colorado Skiing 021822 089 ACR Conv.jpg

Looking back up Grand Review
Colorado Skiing 021822 091 ACR Conv.jpg

@MattSmith and me on the lift
Colorado Skiing 021822 093 ACR Conv.jpg

Ski Day 3 (Friday)

Friday we were skiing Beaver Creek again, and mostly wanted to get to the areas we didn't get to before. That included Centennial, Rose Bowl, Red Buffalo, Cinch, Larkspur, and McCoy Park. We did a lot of nice groomer runs, some bumps, and some choppy stuff all morning off of Cinch, Rose Bowl, and Red Buffalo. We stopped for lunch at Spruce Saddle, then headed over to ski Larkspur and McCoy Park. McCoy is new this year, and is low angle but wide open and was fun to meander through a couple of times among the tree and brush and little jumps and bumps. Later Jess (who is local and some of you might have met in Taos) came out for a few runs to end the day. It was a great close to the skiing, and I was definitely worn out by the end of the day after another 24K feet.

All three days, I skied my new-to-me Stockli SR95s. They were the wrong ski for some of the hardpack, and took some getting used to. But were great in the more variable stuff and deeper snow. They did have me wishing I had my narrower skis on the hard groomer runs.

SkiTalk sticker shot on the Stockli's in the morning
Colorado Skiing 021822 095 ACR Conv.jpg

Rising sun
Colorado Skiing 021822 097 ACR Conv.jpg

View from the top
Colorado Skiing 021822 108 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Sanjay and Eric and a view
Colorado Skiing 021822 113 ACR Conv.jpg

A view from Cinch
Colorado Skiing 021822 118 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Later in the day we did a little après at the Ritz, to take in the "scene"... they play music, there's a lot of drinks, and a lot of interesting people watching. :D

Jess, Sanjay, and me
Colorado Skiing 021822 121 ACR Conv.jpg

After a drink, we decided to go for a couple more runs to end the day and get back to where we needed to be to leave. And I promptly dropped a glove off the lift! Jess volunteered to go get it back, as she thought she knew how to get to where it was... while Sanjay and I skied back down to where we were leaving (and Sanjay took another run while I waited).

And she got it! Saved the day!

Jess showing up with my dropped glove
Colorado Skiing 021822 131 ACR Conv.jpg

Lift TIckets

We bought Vail Epic Day passes for 3 days back in November for a total price of $265, or $88.33/day for the 3 days. Not a bad deal - but you have to buy early. Window prices were like $229/day.

Lodging

We stayed at Beaver Creek West condos in Avon, mainly because staying up at Beaver Creek resort itself was expensive. They had a very convenient shuttle to the town gondola, which took you up to the lower BC lifts. The shuttle to Vail was also nice to have, and the complex had a couple of hottubs, but we didn't make use of them. Overall it seemed like a good place to stay. And staying in Avon gives you more close by restaurant opportunities for dinner.

Food

On-mountain food was what you'd expect... decent but expensive. For dinners we tried a few places... Agave was decent Mexican, but I think the margaritas were folks favorite. Southside Benderz was a cool bar with good specials for après/happy hour - we actually went there twice. I can recommend the burgers and the milkshakes. We also had dinner from Thai Kitchen in Minturn, which was really good.

On the way back to Denver, we stopped in Frisco for a late breakfast, and hit Butterhorn. I would highly recommend this place for breakfast or brunch, and for the fruit filled croissants, which were terrific.

The Butterhorn in Frisco was a fantastic breakfast/brunch spot
20220219_103512 ACR Conv.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online