• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Bear Valley, Dodge Ridge & China Peak under same ownership

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
In the past, I've skied Dodge Ridge occasionally on deep fresh powder days because driving over US50 or SR88 is often difficult with slow chain control driving or closed. Driving up SR108 is 30 miles closer than Kirkwood with less traffic. More importantly, the awkward lift layout with areas of difficult to traverse into forests is a boon for this tree skier.

So went to the link of the new Cali Pass and noted the prices. Down at the bottom showed Adults 23>69 at $699, Seniors 70>74 $649 and Golden Age 75+ FREE. Well I've had the EPIC Tahoe Local Senior Pass (KW HV NS) the last few years for $425. I just turned 75 years young, days ago. If I can ski for free at these other resorts, I will and may check if any other California resorts offer free skiing over this next season.

So what about my health? Of course resorts offering golden age like passes expect very few people that age will be likely to ski and those that do are more likely to ski just a few days. And the few that do are likely industry locals or hard core skiers like this person.

20 months ago, I was diagnosed with a rare blood disease, polycythemia vera, that is totally treatable as I have been ongoing, without adverse effects, and without reducing lifetime. Also since 2019 have been using an elastic inguinal hernia belt while skiing and need to have abdominal wall mesh surgery. I also backpack with heavy loads and am a long time freestyle dancer, both of which I've also been able to cope with just using a belt.

Otherwise, yes, I do experience effects of increasing age even if the outside of my face and body doesn't show it. In a few years am likely to look and feel just as old as the rest of you so my youthfulness is just a delay to the inevitable. No one gets out of here alive. But until then expect to ski at the same levels my Youtube videos show.

Sponsor

Staff online