• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Thank you Tricia, Sibhusky, Dano T, et al. I just tried to order this on Amazon but it won't ship to California.

View attachment 107878

So, I need to find out what obstacles California is putting in front of me to protect myself.

That video was frightening. Thank God that the only Grizzley bear we have in California is on our State Flag. Let's keep it that way.

Sportsman's Warehouse Carson City

1443 S Carson St Carson City, NV 89701

775-884-2100
Items Sold:
Bear Spray, Pepper Blitz, Chest Holster Bac

Screenshot_20200810-160515_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The stats are clear: bear spray is the best defense against attacking bears. But that's based on studying the body of evidence of existing attacks and the defender's outcomes. You may be better at handling and aiming your weapon that the folks who made up the statistics. Maybe you are in the 1%? I don't know. It's the same reason I feel safer when I'm driving my car than when some else is flying the airline (I think I'm that good).

Nevertheless, a friend of mine (now deceased from pancreatic cancer) told me of a bear encounter he once had when he was game warden who had been charged with putting down a nuisance black bear that had been been breaking into cabins, and he caught the bear in the act. He emptied his weapon (rifle or pump action 12-guage - I really can't recall which) into the bear and the bear kept coming. He said if he hadn't of had his side-arm on him he would have been mauled. He through the empty gun at the bear and drew his pistol and killed the bear a few feet from his feet with the pistol. He had been a machine gunner (among other things) in the Canadian Armed Forces, so I think he was well trained and knew how to shoot.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Last summer at a friend's place, had an injured bear that was not deterred by two large dogs, firewood, yelling, rocks, warning shots, all the other things that usually make them scamper. (Nor was it deterred by Yeti.) It fiinally scampered off after a 12ga slug to the rear end. Still don't know quite what injured it, almost looked degloved. (The white on its snout was my CREAM CHEESE from the cooler. No bagels for breakfast that morning.) Bear spray existed but was inaccessible (plus it was a "cute little black bear" not brown).

eta: @coskigirl was camping a half mile down the road, with no cell service, and I was all freaked out about her hiking up for breakfast, but she slept in. whew

83E3A5B0-F292-4769-AB32-3A1D17BC34BF_1_105_c.jpeg

1E619048-4C15-4C9E-9D86-835BE23FA45B_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Sibhusky, thank you. I cannot afford to violate any California laws including the pepper spray law which instead of the 10.2 oz product recommended is limited to 2.5 oz:

"Penal Code -
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370]
( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
TITLE 3. WEAPONS AND DEVICES OTHER THAN FIREARMS [19910 - 23025]
( Title 3 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )
DIVISION 11. TEAR GAS AND TEAR GAS WEAPONS [22810 - 23025]
( Division 11 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

CHAPTER 1. General Provisions [22810 - 22840]
( Chapter 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person may purchase, possess, or use tear gas or any tear gas weapon for the projection or release of tear gas if the tear gas or tear gas weapon is used solely for self-defense purposes, subject to the following requirements:

(a) No person convicted of a felony or any crime involving an assault under the laws of the United States, the State of California, or any other state, government, or country, or convicted of misuse of tear gas under subdivision (g), shall purchase, possess, or use tear gas or any tear gas weapon.

(b) No person addicted to any narcotic drug shall purchase, possess, or use tear gas or any tear gas weapon.

(c) No person shall sell or furnish any tear gas or tear gas weapon to a minor.

(d) No minor shall purchase, possess, or use tear gas or any tear gas weapon.

(e) (1) No person shall purchase, possess, or use any tear gas weapon that expels a projectile, or that expels the tear gas by any method other than an aerosol spray, or that contains more than 2.5 ounces net weight of aerosol spray.

(2) Every tear gas container and tear gas weapon that may be lawfully purchased, possessed, and used pursuant to this section shall have a label that states: “WARNING: The use of this substance or device for any purpose other than self-defense is a crime under the law. The contents are dangerous — use with care.”

(3) After January 1, 1984, every tear gas container and tear gas weapon that may be lawfully purchased, possessed, and used pursuant to this section shall have a label that discloses the date on which the useful life of the tear gas weapon expires.

(4) Every tear gas container and tear gas weapon that may be lawfully purchased pursuant to this section shall be accompanied at the time of purchase by printed instructions for use.

(f) Effective March 1, 1994, every tear gas container and tear gas weapon that may be lawfully purchased, possessed, and used pursuant to this section shall be accompanied by an insert including directions for use, first aid information, safety and storage information, and explanation of the legal ramifications of improper use of the tear gas container or tear gas product.

(g) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who uses tear gas or any tear gas weapon except in self-defense is guilty of a public offense and is punishable by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for 16 months, or two or three years or in a county jail not to exceed one year or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment.

(2) If the use is against a peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, engaged in the performance of official duties and the person committing the offense knows or reasonably should know that the victim is a peace officer, the offense is punishable by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for 16 months or two or three years or by a fine of one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment."​

Please don't let your state become like California.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I guess I'm not clear. The stores supposedly sell it. Are you implying they are doing so illegally?

I found this on an REI product listing:

"Counter Assault Bear Spray uses a substance that is different from the deterrent used in self-protection pepper sprays. Counter Assault Bear Spray has been approved for use in California under different statutes than pepper spray. For more information, contact Counter Assault."

And this on an Amazon listing:
"In short, we sell to all 50 states, but Amazon does not know Bear Deterrent (unlike pepper spray) is legal throughout the US."

Call the store.

Last edited:

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Thanks, I have contacted Counter Assault. I will report back with what they say if anything about the sale, possession and use of Counter Assault 10.2 oz in the state of California.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
If you are in an area when you might use it, get a belt holster and keep it at the ready; it's no good if you can't reach it in time. Bears charge fast.
It might be inconvenient to carry it in your hand when hiking but it would seem to me that in certain areas you may want to have it more accessible than in a holster. Walking across a field (holster)...in the woods or brushy area (hand)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It might be inconvenient to carry it in your hand when hiking but it would seem to me that in certain areas you may want to have it more accessible than in a holster. Walking across a field (holster)...in the woods or brushy area (hand)
100%. Also, if your jacket is covering the holster, you'll be trying to keep your eye on the bear and it'll be not as accessible as it needs to be. My daughter found herself unable to grab the can to help my hushand defend himself.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Why is it that guns and pepper spray are mutually exclusive? I’m thinking a high caliber pistol holstered for back up and bear spray in my hand

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They aren't. Just make sure your buddies are not in the area in case the bear gets you before the gun stops him.

I’m thinking if the spray first and then the gun don’t turn the bear away it’s gonna be a bad day for everyone. To be clear, I’d never shoot a bear unless it was the last resort. I’ve come upon many black bear over the years without incident, while hiking, running or biking. Never was I armed. It’s not the same as being on foot in Grizzly country though.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Boo Boo Before he mauled my feeder
3mar2020bear5.jpg

Spider Boo Boo
7july2020a.JPG

7july2020b.JPG

After I rebuilt with 6"pvc and hung it differently
June142020.JPG

mum

Less than 300 yds behind the house.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
We got hit by a bear last night, got the trash and suet. New dog never even woke up.
My first black lab would bark at bears. Well, she would whisper bark. bark... bark...bark... then she would look at you like, "Hey, I'm doing my job." You could tell it was a bear because she would run to the end of the deck, then whisper bark.