Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
Normally these attacks are in the fall
Bears can be very hungry when coming out of their dens in spring and the shed horns that the teenager was looking for might also be a food source for the bear. The article didn't say if he found any horns...looks like the bear didn't want to let him find any though.

oldschoolskier

Out on the slopes
Skier

Sibhusky

Whitefish
Skier
We're considerably north of there, so I think they got more snow. Our winter was short but intense. Significantly less snow, but super cold for more than twice as many weeks as usual. I'm guessing a lot of people just hadn't heard the bears were on the move.

noncrazycanuck

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied Nakiska with my 2 young granddaughters late February.

Later Calgary news reported a group of skiers had woken a grizzly by skiing over it's den in general area.
The story was it popped out of the snow about a meter behind one of them, then took off in opposite direction.

According to Parks Canada spokesperson male grizzlies sleep lighter than black bears and this is not uncommon.
They hoped it could go back to hibernation if it could find a new den. There is not much to eat in the Rockies in winter.

I'd never heard of that before, encountering a grizzly mid winter while skiing isn't something i would ever expect.

And not planning on packing my bear spray based on the odds.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
We had a VERY cold February and a lot of snow in February and March, but spring came very fast in April. The drainage where he was attached was in the same area where they guy was attacked twice in the same day by the same bear. The Madison's east of 287 and the Gravelly's west of 287 between Ennis and West Yellowstone are crawling with Grizz. It is simply not safe to be in those mountains by yourself.

Advertisement