• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Bear Creek - Pa

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
Can anyone tell me of Bear Creek is a good place for a beginner? I've never been and my son wants to go skiing. Based on what I'm seeing online, it might be the closest place that might have decent conditions.

I need nice long green runs for him to practice.. this will be his 2nd time this year.. I should say 2and time ever, because I can't really count the trip from 4 years ago, when he was 5.

Thanks!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I highly recommend it for beginners. It always seemed less hectic to me than the places further north when I brought my young kids there. And the lodge is nice. Not sure about current conditions but I don’t think it pays to go further into PA for a beginner.

TS
C

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
I highly recommend it for beginners. It always seemed less hectic to me than the places further north when I brought my young kids there. And the lodge is nice. Not sure about current conditions but I don’t think it pays to go further into PA for a beginner.

Thanks. Based on the little bit of info I saw on the resort, it looked like a nice place. In addition, they look to have a green trail from the top to the bottom. As for conditions, it's got to be better than Roundtop, which is the closest place to us.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Living just north of the Lehigh Valley, I pretty much avoided the place because I figured it would be packed on weekends. Surprisely, it wasn't. But get there early, the parking lots are small so the later you arrive, the further out you'll be. One thing I like about it is they sell tickets in 4 hour increments, and not just morning/afternoon tickets they start a short time after you buy them. Saves a few bucks over an open to close if 4 hours is about all you want to do.
Just about any place you go will have hardpack under any snow they make. It's been very warm and wet the past 3 days, and the temps are just now starting to drop to freezing up here.
Oh, and bring coffee....they don't have any available first thing in the morning...can't figure that one out. I recommend starting on the "E" lift. It serves the lower mountain with a couple of greens and a blue. If he's doing well you can head up top

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I learned to ski there some 40 or so years ago. ;) I think that terrain-wise it was perfect for a beginner. Obviously I have no idea what kind of vibe or crowds it has now, but I thought it was great when I was 8!

TS
C

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
We made it there yesterday.. Didn't get there at opening, but with a quick shuttle service, it wasn't a big deal. Plus, with my bum knee, it's much easier to take a shuttle, that picked and dropped us off at my car. Not that they had too.. It seems the staff is just accommodating.

Conditions were way better than what I was expecting, and for a beginner, it's an excellent resort.

We made a run down the slope with the magic carpet. Then we took a 3 man lift to a short green trail. Made a few runs there, then took a 4 man lift to I'm thinking he top.

The way the trails were setup, it was really nice. I got my son trying the short blue trails. He was extremely excited going down a blue. Yest the two we went down were extremely short, but it was enough for a beginner.

IMO, the place being small is one the the reasons it's great for beginners. Friendly staff, lifts that were kept moving, nice trail layout.. We'll be going back again. I think it's going to be our go to place till he gets better, especially since it ended up being only a 2hr drive.

There were 2 things I didn't like. 1st was the shuttle didn't have racks to hold the skis out side. You had to carry them in the shuttle. THe 2nd was the magic carpet. You're forced to take your skis off to get on it.. Hat a pain to have to take your skis off then put them back on at the top.

BTW.. There was one thing that surprised me. A instructor there noticed and commented on how he loved my Pink Panther boots. Ended up taking the lift up with him and talked with him a bit. He was only 15 and had been skiing there since he was 3. He said he started working there as soon as he could so he could ski for free. I asked how he knew what kind of boots I had.. And he said he'd been wanting a pair for years. LOL.. I don't know how many boots have come in pink, over the years, but that kid must really love them to spot them on my feet, when most of the boots were covered.

Last edited:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot about the magic carpet thing - agree that was kinda odd.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the reasons I didn't mention starting there...

Glad you had a good time. As I mentioned, I avoided the area for years as I thought it would be too crowded. I would guess most people just by-pass it for Blue Mountain.

Sponsor

Staff online