• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last few years I've been smoking some extra meats then cutting them up, wrapping them up tight and freezing to take on ski trips over the winter. We had ribs, greens, and cornbread a few weeks ago on our first trip of the year and I'll be taking some brisket and beans for our upcoming Christmas trip. Very good for après ski dinners!
That's genius! Simple idea I overlooked, thanks!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's genius! Simple idea I overlooked, thanks!
Family friends visited us over New Year's last year and after a day of skiing the college-age son devoured about half the brisket himself with piles of my wife's cole slaw. I don't think his parents are in to seasoning too much! Funny thing is he doesn't like bread of any kind, so no sandwiches for him.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Zion: ribs off the Backwoods

View attachment 61352
Those look fantastic. I’ve got an 8# butt going on tonight. Going to add some short ribs tomorrow in the small egg if I can escape outside with the wife’s good Dutch oven - or find my Lodge brand one, which has unfortunately gone missing somewhere.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Those look fantastic. I’ve got an 8# butt going on tonight. Going to add some short ribs tomorrow in the small egg if I can escape outside with the wife’s good Dutch oven - or find my Lodge brand one, which has unfortunately gone missing somewhere.

How did that butt turnout?? What is that flat top that you have pictured? Am interested to learn more. Pics of the food look fabulous.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
How did that butt turnout?? What is that flat top that you have pictured? Am interested to learn more. Pics of the food look fabulous.
The butt was good. 210 degrees to 200 internal temp, about 18 hours. After it went through the 165 temp plateau I raised the egg temp to 260. You can’t hurt the meat after the plateau, and I was hungry.

The flat top is a basque grill. Link below. I love the thing and by happenstance, know the owner of the company. If you want one, shoot me a PM - can likely get you not insignificant friends and family discount.

http://aupaplancha.com/

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
man those pics are making me hungry! we bust out the grill almost every time we go skiing .This was Solitude recently. IMG_1116.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I really want to do this in the front row of the parking lot at Deer Valley. I already have the truck. @Started at 53 are you in?

DV doesnt care, we've grilled in their lots a few times as well. just park in the last row of the lot, gives you room to grill plus you are right by the garbage cans they setup by the stairs.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DV doesnt care, we've grilled in their lots a few times as well. just park in the last row of the lot, gives you room to grill plus you are right by the garbage cans they setup by the stairs.
Can’t wait to do it. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it before. Would be good to do with my 20 something son and his large crew of 20 something friends. Maybe get a keg of PBR.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been very happy with this rub -

EggNerd's Odd-Recipe Find: "Elder Ward's Brisket Rub"
I've used this rub on the last four Brisket's I've put in the cooker - and I'm hard pressed to imagine any reason why I won't use on the next Brisket. It's one of the key elements to my 36-hour Odyssey Brisket process which you can read about here.

Elder Ward's Brisket Rub:

Ingredients:

4 Tbs Kosher Salt
4 Tbs Raw Hawaiian Sugar
2 Tbs Ground Cumin Seeds
4 Tbs McCormick Chili powder
2 Tbs Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper (fine ground)
4 Tbs Hungarian Paprika
2 Tbs Thyme Ground

Preparation Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender (or food Processor) and liquefy in short bursts until consistent in texture/color. Shake after each short burst to stir that which settles to the bottom. The food processor will heat the spices enough to blend the flavors without burning them.

Store this Rub in an air-tight container until used.

Store in an airtight container until needed.

Being home a bit more may prompt me to try smoking more .. and that's not the Colorado version ;)

Got @JeffB recommended rub mixed up this am, blended, rubbed a 8 lb brisket I picked up yesterday and got it going this AM.

Only wished at midnight when going to bed I took the time to start it .. but was tired. smoker is simple electric one that necessitated my cutting it into 2 portions, but all will be fine other than waiting.

20200405_072542.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Weather turns nice and I start thinking about barbecue. I went shopping today (yes, I wore a facemask) and the briskets looked awfully nice. I might just have to smoke one up next weekend for Easter since I have so much time on my hands.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Being home a bit more may prompt me to try smoking more .. and that's not the Colorado version ;)

Got @JeffB recommended rub mixed up this am, blended, rubbed a 8 lb brisket I picked up yesterday and got it going this AM.

Only wished at midnight when going to bed I took the time to start it .. but was tired. smoker is simple electric one that necessitated my cutting it into 2 portions, but all will be fine other than waiting.

View attachment 98902
Nice!
We've only done some steak grilling in the past week or two. Lots of cooking inside with Spring weather in the Sierra. That means spring snow storms.
Where Daffodils pop up and quickly realize they come up before the snow stopped.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
They had complete filet mignon's on sale this week.. Well I could buy one and cut it up into steaks...I think I'll leave that to my butcher friend next time.....I've got lots of of stuff, but....we'll see.

Sponsor

Staff online