• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Couple of whole 60lb pigs I deboned and rolled a little while back. Cooked in a Caja China. You don't need to do it like this but then you can fit 2 in the box at once. A whole bone in pig split comes out awesome also. Definitely a fun toy for the outdoor cooking enthusiast. Guess I forgot to take an after photo..
image.jpeg image.jpeg
https://www.lacajachina.com

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Yes, @JeffB, you have a problem and, yes, I would love to eat some of the food you produce on those things!
Give me a shout if you’re ever in ATL. In the unlikely event the eggs are empty, my bourbon bar is always full.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I suddenly have a strong desire to be a vegetarian again...................................... I'm finally in grill mode. I'm the griller in our house. We made jalapeno burgers last week and I'm grilling away with veggies. Don't feel like buying a new grill now nor new grates so we bought these grill trays that you put over the grates and throw them out after a couple uses, seems to work fine. Kinda kicking ourselves for not buying a grill at sears when they were having a huge sale a few weeks ago. 2nd farmers market of the season is tomorrow and each week they'll have more and more veggies for me to grill so that's when I come alive.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@JeffB ... looking forward to your cuisine ...

on side note .. for beer post ok here as one needs side snack when grilling. Simple cucumber (I had zucchini which worked fine), Radish, green onion, touch of lime and Cilantro ... salt or garlic salt might be ok to add but left it out, chips have plenty.

might be nice wish fish ..

Radish Salsa 2.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suddenly have a strong desire to be a vegetarian again...................................... I'm finally in grill mode. I'm the griller in our house. We made jalapeno burgers last week and I'm grilling away with veggies. Don't feel like buying a new grill now nor new grates so we bought these grill trays that you put over the grates and throw them out after a couple uses, seems to work fine. Kinda kicking ourselves for not buying a grill at sears when they were having a huge sale a few weeks ago. 2nd farmers market of the season is tomorrow and each week they'll have more and more veggies for me to grill so that's when I come alive.

Grill grates often are pretty low cost .. and can sure make a grill like new and regain that love.

I had an old Weber kettle with a ash bin and small rail on side you can tip the top into. It got old and legs rotting off. Bought a Stok brand to replace and found I just didn't care for it's shape: cooked different and it was drafty even with all vents closed.

Was taking the old one to the landfill for metal recycle and low and behold sitting was a base for mine. Was about to buy a new Weber but being cheap and just having a metal issue with disposing of things still usable .. nabbed the base, rebuilt the parts from mine to it picking up new grates, damper and now loving it.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Grill grates often are pretty low cost .. and can sure make a grill like new and regain that love.

I had an old Weber kettle with a ash bin and small rail on side you can tip the top into. It got old and legs rotting off. Bought a Stok brand to replace and found I just didn't care for it's shape: cooked different and it was drafty even with all vents closed.

Was taking the old one to the landfill for metal recycle and low and behold sitting was a base for mine. Was about to buy a new Weber but being cheap and just having a metal issue with disposing of things still usable .. nabbed the base, rebuilt the parts from mine to it picking up new grates, damper and now loving it.

We have an old weber propane grill and the grill grates for our grill are $70-80 bucks so just weren't motivated to spend the money at the time. Our grill is 10-11 years old but works great. Michael is the type that would love to rebuild our grill but it's so tempting to get a shiny new one. In the meantime the grill tray things seem to work fine and will get us through the summer. We'll see about picking up a new grill when the end of summer sales come out.

That's funny you were were able to rebuild your grill, that's so something my guy would do.

In the meantime, grill, grill, grill.

:beercheer:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have an old weber propane grill and the grill grates for our grill are $70-80 bucks so just weren't motivated to spend the money at the time. Our grill is 10-11 years old but works great. Michael is the type that would love to rebuild our grill but it's so tempting to get a shiny new one. In the meantime the grill tray things seem to work fine and will get us through the summer. We'll see about picking up a new grill when the end of summer sales come out.

That's funny you were were able to rebuild your grill, that's so something my guy would do.

In the meantime, grill, grill, grill.

:beercheer:
shiny and new is often more rewarding. I'm tempted to get a new gas fired one if only for the infrared searing found on lots of models today. I do like the pellet burners but then, have an odd affinity for charcoal/lump.

Fathers Day ..... a fine excuse to surprise!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been putting off buying a Char-Broil Commercial Stainless/Black 3 Burner Gas Grill. They cost around $300.

I prefer to cook on wood but for a quick burger after work it's nice to have propane as an option.

I cut and chop small chunks of oak which I start in a chimney with some charcoal briquettes. About 10 years ago I bought one of the cheapo propane/charcoal combo grills but the burners didn't last long.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been putting off buying a Char-Broil Commercial Stainless/Black 3 Burner Gas Grill. They cost around $300.

I prefer to cook on wood but for a quick burger after work it's nice to have propane as an option.

I cut and chop small chunks of oak which I start in a chimney with some charcoal briquettes. About 10 years ago I bought one of the cheapo propane/charcoal combo grills but the burners didn't last long.

I enjoy using a cheap electric smoker I got as a 20yr reward at work .. with hopes I'm not poisoning myself I use leftover Hickory cut offs from reflooring my house. They were prefinished but I simply ripped or jointed off the top coat leaving just the wood.

I'm not worried, simply didn't care to pitch the stuff to the landfill and would remove the finish anyhow if burning.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Grilled a flank steak last night marinated with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and a little sugar. The latter was a tip from I-forget-where that supposedly tenderizes the meat. Served over a big salad with blue cheese crumbles, oil and red wine vinegar dressing, and crispy onions.

Recently smoked a couple rack of pork ribs with my own dry rub and served with my Texas-style BBQ sauce (not very sweet). Unfortunately, the grocery only had baby backs, not spareribs, which seem to dry out more. Still tasty! I switched to a pellet smoker a couple of years ago to reduce the amount of time I spend babying the smoker when doing brisket. My old briquette and wood chunk smoker was on its last legs anyway...

I know, I need to post pictures next time.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On Saturday it was in the 90s inland so we camped 200 feet from the ocean. There was a nice sea breeze and anytime it got too hot we went back into the water which was a nice temperature.

I boiled clams, corn, potatoes, and chorice over the campfire (New England Portugese Clam Boil). WIth drawn butter of course. It's a lot easier than a clam bake. The lobster was overpriced so I'll wait until we go to Maine where we get them for $5 each.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
While I'm cutting waaay back on bread I was happy to discover that Kings Hawaiian hot dog rolls have finally made their way to the northeast so we had skinless hummel hot dogs sunday night with the kings buns and OMG was it amazing. I grilled spaghetti squash and carrots last night which came out quite good although when the neighbors cat sauntered on by he apparently didn't think so. Going to BBQ tomorrow but not sure what, have chicken thights in freezer but I think I'm feeling like a steak so will run to store and grab that and some corn.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
100+ degrees here in NJ today. Perfect time to stand over a hot grill.

View attachment 48630
Did the same last night also around 100+ but the steak was worth it. You got to have those long handle grilling tools so you can stand back a little and let the grill do all the work.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Did the same last night also around 100+ but the steak was worth it. You got to have those long handle grilling tools so you can stand back a little and let the grill do all the work.

They would need really long handles for me to flip those steaks from my air conditioned house. Can't wait for the cold weather again.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
The smoker has been running full time this holiday week......pulled pork, smoked chicken and ribs tonight. All meats, all the time...... IMG_5790.JPG IMG_5793.JPG

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last few years I've been smoking some extra meats then cutting them up, wrapping them up tight and freezing to take on ski trips over the winter. We had ribs, greens, and cornbread a few weeks ago on our first trip of the year and I'll be taking some brisket and beans for our upcoming Christmas trip. Very good for après ski dinners!

Sponsor

Staff online