• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Before: Costco flank 2 pack, 8.49 per pound. Fork tenderized, fresh cracked pepper, sea salt, Worcestershire, brought to room temp.
image.jpeg

Big egg blast furnace, over 800 at grate, 2:45 per side, then pulled and rested, sliced thin on the bias.
image.jpeg
Served with oven roasted brussel sprouts, s+p, olive oil, garlic, pistachios, dried cranberries.
image.jpg
Mark West Pinot noir on sale for 8.99. Complete Costco meal. Quite yummy.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Before: Costco flank 2 pack, 8.49 per pound. Fork tenderized, fresh cracked pepper, sea salt, Worcestershire, brought to room temp.
View attachment 4364

Big egg blast furnace, over 800 at grate, 2:45 per side, then pulled and rested, sliced thin on the bias.
View attachment 4365
Served with oven roasted brussel sprouts, s+p, olive oil, garlic, pistachios, dried cranberries.
View attachment 4366
Mark West Pinot noir on sale for 8.99. Complete Costco meal. Quite yummy.
Are you finding fork tenderizing effective with the Costco flanks? I've tried a few methods without good results.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Are you finding fork tenderizing effective with the Costco flanks? I've tried a few methods without good results.

Yes, but ....

Ideally a marinade in ziplock overnight the day before does the work. The marinade though if not wiped off pretty well will char in the egg at high temps causing an unpleasant taste.

So the fork for me is an ok option when I haven't had time to do the marinade and the fork is liberally applied. 200+ pokes with a 4 tine fork across the grain is not an exaggeration. The cook times on the egg are so short that I don't worry about drying the meat out. If I were doing it on a propane grill I'd do the same - as hot as I can possibly get it so I get a good sear and a cook time as brief as possible. I rest the meat for almost 10 min too before slicing, which seems to help.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, but ....

Ideally a marinade in ziplock overnight the day before does the work. The marinade though if not wiped off pretty well will char in the egg at high temps causing an unpleasant taste.

So the fork for me is an ok option when I haven't had time to do the marinade and the fork is liberally applied. 200+ pokes with a 4 tine fork across the grain is not an exaggeration. The cook times on the egg are so short that I don't worry about drying the meat out. If I were doing it on a propane grill I'd do the same - as hot as I can possibly get it so I get a good sear and a cook time as brief as possible. I rest the meat for almost 10 min too before slicing, which seems to help.
I've got a DCS that can get those high temps too. We don't need no sear burners. I've tried marinading without great success. Maybe I need to change proportions.

I'll try your fork method.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I've got a DCS that can get those high temps too. We don't need no sear burners. I've tried marinading without great success. Maybe I need to change proportions.

I'll try your fork method.

I'll use the fork even if there is time to marinade. Just less aggressively I suppose. Generally speaking, I think the more acidic your marinade the more effective it will be as a tenderizer. I know some people who put powdered tenderizer in the marinade, but I almost always avoid that.

Try the fork and either a very cheap bottle of red wine or left over red wine about to go bad and use that to marinade. Plenty of acid. Add garlic, herbs, some olive oil, black pepper and kosher or sea salt. And see what you think. I bet it will be pretty tender and have a good flavor as well.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll use the fork even if there is time to marinade. Just less aggressively I suppose. Generally speaking, I think the more acidic your marinade the more effective it will be as a tenderizer. I know some people who put powdered tenderizer in the marinade, but I almost always avoid that.

Try the fork and either a very cheap bottle of red wine or left over red wine about to go bad and use that to marinade. Plenty of acid. Add garlic, herbs, some olive oil, black pepper and kosher or sea salt. And see what you think. I bet it will be pretty tender and have a good flavor as well.
Oil, acid, salt and flavor, right? I'll try your suggestions to see if I can break down those connective tissues. Thanks.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Yes, but ....

What temps are you grilling these? I typically go 4-500 degrees for flanks on the BGE, but never been 100% satisfied. Love doing reverse sears on a thick cut of steak. Always comes out great.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
What temps are you grilling these? I typically go 4-500 degrees for flanks on the BGE, but never been 100% satisfied. Love doing reverse sears on a thick cut of steak. Always comes out great.

I go max temp on almost every steak (tri-tips and prime rib are a different ballgame, as is brisket of course). With a clean firebox and tons of fresh natural lump. Light it and let it go full blast and I use the cast iron grate. After the initial burn off of the volatile gasses, I cook. At that time, dome temp will be above 700. On something like a flank, 2:30 - 3 min per side will equal medium rare in the thickest part. I cook with the dome down and only turn once. After the second side, it's done and ready to rest.

If I've got a thick cut filet, or a strip, or lately I've been getting bone-in rib-eyes, I do the same thing, but will shut down all vents in the egg shortly after the flip and let it finish in that fashion. Open up the vents before opening the dome unless you want to see incredible flashback and burn all the hair off your arm. I assume everyone with an egg has done that at least a few times and I am no exception.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Oil, acid, salt and flavor, right? I'll try your suggestions to see if I can break down those connective tissues. Thanks.

acid to oil ratio is at least 2:1 if not a little higher. One reason why teriyaki works so well - soy, orange juice, add some ginger, maybe a little white vinegar, etc. tons of acid and robust flavors.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I go max temp on almost every steak (tri-tips and prime rib are a different ballgame, as is brisket of course). With a clean firebox and tons of fresh natural lump. Light it and let it go full blast and I use the cast iron grate. After the initial burn off of the volatile gasses, I cook. At that time, dome temp will be above 700. On something like a flank, 2:30 - 3 min per side will equal medium rare in the thickest part. I cook with the dome down and only turn once. After the second side, it's done and ready to rest.

If I've got a thick cut filet, or a strip, or lately I've been getting bone-in rib-eyes, I do the same thing, but will shut down all vents in the egg shortly after the flip and let it finish in that fashion. Open up the vents before opening the dome unless you want to see incredible flashback and burn all the hair off your arm. I assume everyone with an egg has done that at least a few times and I am no exception.

I used to go max temp on all steaks, but I found reverse sear can produce a medium rare steak much more evenly on a really thick cut. No well done spots at the ends. Still gets the crust from the high heat at the end. The only problem is a thick steak takes much longer to cook this way.

I burn the hair off my right arm about three times a year, but the food is worth it. My wife gives me crap about being careful constantly. Then while grilling some wings for the super bowl she thought she took her eyebrows off. The wings were great.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I used to go max temp on all steaks, but I found reverse sear can produce a medium rare steak much more evenly on a really thick cut. No well done spots at the ends. Still gets the crust from the high heat at the end. The only problem is a thick steak takes much longer to cook this way.

For sear but lower temp cooks I start with a cast iron skillet for the sear. This can be done inside or out depending on your setup, and I maintain that a properly seasoned 12in cast iron skillet is something every cook should own. I can do the sear and then place meat in the lower temp egg, many times with indirect heat, to finish.

Exception - the Christmas Day tenderloin, since it's too big for the skillet. This I quickly sear on the big egg - maybe 1:30 on 3 sides, then pull while I reduce heat in the egg to 350ish and add the plate setter. While the egg resets, I wrap the loin in bacon.

It just occurred to me that I'm really hungry.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
acid to oil ratio is at least 2:1 if not a little higher. One reason why teriyaki works so well - soy, orange juice, add some ginger, maybe a little white vinegar, etc. tons of acid and robust flavors.
This could be it. I'm been more oil heavy than this.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Bison sliders ... Because they are delicious.

image.jpeg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Wow, a single serving grill!

It's a plancha. Propane fired Basque grill. Stationary if you want or portable for tailgates or, in your case, Reunions. You need one. You might not know it yet, but you do. Mussels on the plancha with crostini will change your life. I'll make some this weekend and post up the pics.

It did serve more than one . . . I had too much Rye to eat them all by myself -

Last edited:
TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Costco pork tenderloins. Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Done with indirect heat and applewood smoke. Served with Israeli couscous and basic mixed green salad. Easy prep, easier cook, good flavor, and chopped pork tacos with leftovers.

image.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January