• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I was already to cook some burgers on the grill the other night and the propane tank just went completely empty. No fun having to cook them inside when I was all set to have a great burger from the grill. Now I have to find a place open to refill my propane tank.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tonight I'm grilling some pork chops marinated overnight in chipotle adobo sauce and serving with chayotes and rice. But I have the pinto beans soaking and the briskets are rubbed down and ready to go in the smoker first thing tomorrow morning, probably need to start them at 5 am. Yawn...

IMG_20200411_134949956.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The briskets tasted good, if a little dry for me. That's the problem with the flats they have available in the regular grocery stores. Not a lot of excess fat or marbling, which my wife actually prefers. Next time, I need to find a full packer brisket instead of two flats, which will include the fattier point. Then I can serve her the flat and save the point for me!

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I’m officially bored with outdoor cooking, so have been playing with my new toy - sous vide.

scallops and salmon at the New Years rental FB82EA70-CD98-4E4A-9863-903854D121D9.jpeg
6F837459-49DC-456B-B770-4E93434A0C61.jpeg
E3EC31DA-8AEA-4E2E-A36D-10A399CEE73D.jpeg
flat irons:
3FE15D37-E47C-4D82-9572-2EF67C8C5E87.jpeg
444A37D9-BD4D-4B65-8FBE-C4AC6059E02C.jpeg
Pork chops with bacon tonight, results pending
D43B97EA-B9CE-480D-AF1F-14B45AEBCC6A.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
@JeffB: we got an Anova sous vide for Xmas and almost every dinner since then has been sous vide. Usu too cold here to grill outside this time of year.
Plus, props on the Meiomi - my wife's favorite every day wine.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
@JeffB: we got an Anova sous vide for Xmas and almost every dinner since then has been sous vide. Usu too cold here to grill outside this time of year.
Plus, props on the Meiomi - my wife's favorite every day wine.
For @16 bucks per bottle, it’s really hard to beat at twice the price. Our local Costco carries it and we buy it by the case.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For @16 bucks per bottle, it’s really hard to beat at twice the price. Our local Costco carries it and we buy it by the case.
Ditto, except our Costco quit selling the Meiomi chard which my wife loves. We'll have to try the Pinot.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
How do you like the Camp Chef? Have you used a Traeger or Green Mountain to compare?
I have two Green Mountain Grills, a Daniel Boone and a Davey Crocket. I’ve had the DB since 2013 and it’s been great. The DC cooks great but has been a little more temperamental, I believe due to be jostled around taking it places.

I bought the Camp Chef to take to our permanent campsite. The metal they use seems a little thinner than my GMG grills but it has some nice features like the PID controller, a pellet dump, and an ash dump. So far it cooks pretty well but it’s only the second time using it.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Was looking around for this thread......have been making Texas style bbq for larger cuts of meat over the last 2 years and this fall did some pulled lamb on home made tortillas. Ribs are fun to make and I enjoy eating them.....This year I got to a point where it was more enjoyable to cook bbq than to eat.....was a win-win as I discovered that people really like to eat bbq, (although Mrs. Wally K did tire of bbq by mid-summer).
1610130004147.png

1610130251857.png

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Was looking around for this thread......have been making Texas style bbq for larger cuts of meat over the last 2 years and this fall did some pulled lamb on home made tortillas. Ribs are fun to make and I enjoy eating them.....This year I got to a point where it was more enjoyable to cook bbq than to eat.....was a win-win as I discovered that people really like to eat bbq, (although Mrs. Wally K did tire of bbq by mid-summer).
View attachment 120368

View attachment 120369

What cut of lamb?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting, I was eating some spareribs last night and started think about how I would approach lamb!

My latest successful experiment was a top loin (NY strip) smoked rare and served with chimichurri sauce. Actually, this was more than a year ago due to covid, but it takes a large party to justify the full roast from Costco

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, this was more than a year ago due to covid, but it takes a large party to justify the full roast from Costco
Whenever ribs are done at home, 4 racks are done. Before covid, they disappeared that evening.
Now, half get frozen to be warmed up a couple of months later.

Probably doesn't work as well with a roast, but .... Depends on your freezer space and tolerance for frozen Q.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Interesting, I was eating some spareribs last night and started think about how I would approach lamb!

Obviously have to experiment, but locating cuts for smoking lamb shoulder and the Denver ribs can be difficult. For bbq, smoking, obviously a larger cut like the shoulder is ideal for "pulling". I prefer the shoulder to the leg when smoking. I've placed "racks" of lamb from Sam's on the smoker and while expensive were delicious...Mrs. Wally K is more of a politically correct eater (eschews lamb, veal) but she did nibble at the smoked rack.

I have smoked lamb ribs with a Texas/Mexican influenced rub concoction and with salt and pepper (super tasing). I've also experimented with lamb tenderloins (not on the smoker). Have to find a good butcher or open account with a wholesaler, which is easier than one thinks ;).

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whenever ribs are done at home, 4 racks are done. Before covid, they disappeared that evening.
Now, half get frozen to be warmed up a couple of months later.

Probably doesn't work as well with a roast, but .... Depends on your freezer space and tolerance for frozen Q.
The ribs were from the freezer while we are quarantining. I still have another half rack and 2 x 4 lb of brisket to take with us to VT.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Obviously have to experiment, but locating cuts for smoking lamb shoulder and the Denver ribs can be difficult. For bbq, smoking, obviously a larger cut like the shoulder is ideal for "pulling". I prefer the shoulder to the leg when smoking. I've placed "racks" of lamb from Sam's on the smoker and while expensive were delicious...Mrs. Wally K is more of a politically correct eater (eschews lamb, veal) but she did nibble at the smoked rack.

I have smoked lamb ribs with a Texas/Mexican influenced rub concoction and with salt and pepper (super tasing). I've also experimented with lamb tenderloins (not on the smoker). Have to find a good butcher or open account with a wholesaler, which is easier than one thinks ;).
My wife and now my son are not wild about lamb, so I probably will just have to do a rack for myself.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
My wife and now my son are not wild about lamb, so I probably will just have to do a rack for myself.

My wife wouldn't eat anything cute for years. As my son got older and started ordering lamb chops whenever we went for Mediterranean she finally gave in and tried some. Now she buys it all the time for home. Still working on veal. I've snuck some into Bolognese and she just said don't tell her. Getting closer.